Immunization & Vaccine Community
maternal rubella immunization

This patient support community is for discussions relating to immunizations and vaccines for children and adults, adverse effects, anthrax, cervical cancer, chicken pox, DPT, diphtheria, flu, haemophilus influenza, hepatitis, HPV, measles, meningococcal vaccine, MMR, mumps, passive immunizations, pertussis, pneumonia, polio, rotavirus, rubella, shingles, small pox, tetanus, travel immunizations, whooping cough, and yellow fever.

maternal rubella immunization

I am planning on trying to have a baby soon, so I had my doctor check to see if I am immune to rubella (I was immunized at 12 months old).  So, I am supposed to go in to be vaccinated next week.  I came acoss some very scary articles (probably not very reliable) on the internet.  These talked about the possibility that there is a link between mothers who for some reason don't stay immune to rubella and their children having autism and a link between having to get the vaccine either before after or during preganancy (I know during should be avoided) and the children later developing autism.  They only talked about people that this had happened to.  I am definitely not convinced by these "studies", but I would sure feel better to hear from mothers who lost their immunity to rubella and were immunized before becoming pregnant and now have healthy children . Please let me know.
-4 Comments Post a Comment
Hi...I was immune with my first, but with my second had lost my immunity (I was already pregnant when I found out) -- and they less than 2 years apart.  I didn't get immunized when pregnant, but was not allowed to leave the hospital after delivery until I got the vaccine.

Both kids are totally "normal" -- no autism or any other chronic problems.

There is a risk if you get german measles (rubella) when pregnant -- although since almost every child is now immunized the risk is not that great that you would even be exposed to it.

I think I would get it before pregnancy (make sure you're not) and ask your ob/gyn how long before you can try to get pregnant.

I wouldn't worry too much about all these studies -- everything is very dramatic online and really worst-case scenarios -- if a link can even be made.

Good luck!
Thanks.  Weird how we lose immunity.  They say 95-99% of people should be immune after one immunization. I would like to hear from someone who was immunized before pregnancy- they say waiting a month after immunization is long enough.  I'm just not totally convinced.
I was wanting to find out if you went ahead with the vaccination and how everything is going so far - did you ever hear from someone who got the vaccine prior to pregnancy?  I've never been vaccinated and have an appt. this Thursday but am a little scared it will cause autism in my next child just because I didn't have it with my first and he is perfect.  

I'm in the same situation. I have been TTC for 3 years and had to have an MMR yesterday even though I had it as an infant too. The doctor said that it was originally thought that immunity would last a lifetime but it has only recently been discovered that the majority of us will lose it!

Also bear in mind that AFTER I'd had my injection I was told that I was not to fall pregnant for 3 months afterwards because if I did then there is a 90% chance the baby would be affected and the only thing the doctors could do in that situation is to offer councelling. Apparently it can cause Cataracts, Congenital Defects, Deafness and Miscarriage.
my dr said the vaccine virus is not active and it only helps create the antibodies (immunity) and can not trigger the disease that's why many drs say you can get pregnant 3-4 weeks after you had the vaccine (is how long it will take to create the antibodies) and has nothing to do with the time it takes to your body to get rid of the injected virus....