Immunization & Vaccine Community
pertussis vaccine
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to immunizations and vaccines for children and adults, adverse effects, anthrax, cervical cancer, chicken pox, DPT, diphtheria, flu, haemophilus influenza, hepatitis, HPV, measles, meningococcal vaccine, MMR, mumps, passive immunizations, pertussis, pneumonia, polio, rotavirus, rubella, shingles, small pox, tetanus, travel immunizations, whooping cough, and yellow fever.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

pertussis vaccine

My son and daughter in law are getting ready to have there first baby in about 2 weeks. When I went to see them last month they told me i needed to get a pertussis vaccine. Is this true? and should it be done before the baby gets here. And how long before?
Thanks for your help
Hi There!
Pertussis is a very contagious illness which spreads through coughing or sneezing. It can cause fever, breathing difficulties, pneumonias and even convulsions in newborn babies. All parents and caretakers of newborn babies who would come in close contact with the newborn should receive pertussis vaccination to prevent spread of infection to the newborn. Therefore it is advisable that all such adults should be given Tdap at least two weeks before they come in contact with the newborn.Instaead of your usual shot of tetanus booster (Td )you can take Tdap.Hope it helps.
Take care and good luck!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Immunization & Vaccine Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank