Immunization & Vaccine Community
possible contact with rat saliva to the eye?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to immunizations and vaccines for children and adults, adverse effects, anthrax, cervical cancer, chicken pox, DPT, diphtheria, flu, haemophilus influenza, hepatitis, HPV, measles, meningococcal vaccine, MMR, mumps, passive immunizations, pertussis, pneumonia, polio, rotavirus, rubella, shingles, small pox, tetanus, travel immunizations, whooping cough, and yellow fever.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

possible contact with rat saliva to the eye?

A rat bit into my bread package the night before. I touched the bite site and then touched my eye with the same finger. My eye was sore at that time since I usually bruise it(bad habit). Is it possible to contact rabies or tetanus that way. Do I need vaccination?

Thank you very much.
Related Discussions
351246_tn?1379685732
Hi!
Yes, it is possible to catch rabies if the saliva of a rabid animal like rat comes in touch with a cut on your body or your eyes and nose. So if your eyes were bruised, yes, chances are very high. However, the chances are high only if an animal bites you. It is less likely to be transferred through saliva left on bread or food that accidently touches your eyes thorough hand that touched the bread.
You should wash eyes immediately by splashing clean water. Consult a doctor and use eye cleansers which are like tears. You may not need vaccination shots but consult a doctor to decide that. It all depends on the incidence of rabies in your area and chances of finding a rabid animal in your area. Take care!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Immunization & Vaccine Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...