Immunization & Vaccine Community
swollen lymph node in neck under chin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to immunizations and vaccines for children and adults, adverse effects, anthrax, cervical cancer, chicken pox, DPT, diphtheria, flu, haemophilus influenza, hepatitis, HPV, measles, meningococcal vaccine, MMR, mumps, passive immunizations, pertussis, pneumonia, polio, rotavirus, rubella, shingles, small pox, tetanus, travel immunizations, whooping cough, and yellow fever.

swollen lymph node in neck under chin

I have been on 5 antibiotics in the past 3 months for what started out as a sinus infection that included swollen glands.  The sinuses are now clear, but I have palpable swollen nodes on the right side that cause my jaw to ache, some ear pain, and a tooth to throb.  (I thought I needed a root canal, but dental xrays showed a healthy tooth!)  The "referred" pain is no fun.
Two questions:
1-Could the swollen nodes be my body's reaction to the Shingles vaccine because of my neomycin allergy?
2-I've had a CT and ultrasound of the nodes and have been told they are non-vascular and reactive. Is a FNA called for here?
Thanks!
Hi!
To answer your first question, usually shingles vaccine causes local soreness, redness and pain or flu like symptoms. This is usually not related to swollen lymph nodes. Also, neomycin allergy should not be the cause for this as this is an anti-viral vaccine and neomycin is an antibiotic.
A lymphnode below the jaw or submandibular lymphnode can swell due to infections of head, neck, sinuses, ears, eyes, scalp and pharynx or upper throat. So if you have any such infection or even if it is something as simple as dandruff or poor oral hygiene or dental infection, then this needs to be checked. Another possibility is infectious mononucleosis or EBV infection and this should be tested for.
Since I cannot examine you and know other related conditions you may be having, nor is a detailed history possible on net, I have listed the various possibilities that should be looked into. Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral.
Take care!