Improve MedHelp Suggestions Community
Editing and Deleting

This forum is to discuss ideas for new features and functionality - ways to improve MedHelp. This forum is NOT the place to ask Medical Questions or submit technical issues. If you have a Medical Question, please post it in the appropriate forum. If you have questions, please read our FAQs.

Editing and Deleting

I would like to see the edit and delete feature on posts.

I would also like the edit and delete feature on Journal entries.

This is not a matter of removing them from the internet, but from the overall picture we have here.

Quix
Journals can be editted. I modify mine from time to time. I don't know if you can delete a journal, but I suppose you could edit it down to a single dot.

It would be nice to be able to edit posts. Deleting them is something I would be opposed to. I've had posts I have responded to deleted by staff, which is fine, but it makes my subsequent post look stupid or nonsensical. Still, the desire to delete a post usually means there was not enough thought put into it before hitting the submit button.

I'm not speaking to you in particular, but we are talking back and forth with people wanting advice or direction or consolation. Our posts should reflect that, and the seriousness of what we are doing.

If I can post and then delete at will, I am more likely to say something inappropriate out of anger thinking I can always go back and delete it. Being unable to take back my words forces me to be accountable for what I post. It makes me think carefully. If I post a tirade that is juvenile or embarrasing, I have to live with it.

I have, I've had to, and it makes me think twice befor hitting the submit button. Accountability is good.

Perhaps you have a different reason for wanting to delete posts. I am not trying to imply anything personal. Just voicing my opinion.

Being able to edit for spelling or to add a thought would be nice, but in the end we're right back to the same problem that deleting posts can cause.

This is the only site I've posted on that does not let you modify your posts. Sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes it is a bad thing. One thing about it. Once you've said it, it's there. Makes you think.
You can already delete journals you've written if you so choose, but all comments will also be deleted.

We don't allow deletions of post because we feel that other users can benefit from the history of content created by our members. Are you asking to delete them from your personal view of your content on My MedHelp or are you asking to delete them from showing up in forums and other people's view of your content?

If you're asking to delete them from your view because you have too many posts to manage, we can add this to our list of requested features. If you're asking to delete them from showing up in forums or other people's view of your content, we're not likely to do that as we feel that it helps other users gain insight into their own condition and/or to understand who you are and your condition and how it relates to them.
Actually, there is one thing that could help. Is it possible to adjust the forum so you can delete your "watched thread list" in groups, as opposed to one at a time?

I have made one day's journal entry - but multiple exact copies show up on my journal page. How do I delete these exact copies so that the journal shows only one entry for one day?
Report the extra journal copies. Even though it isn't "spam" or "abuse" the medhelp mods will understand why you reported it and delete the extra copies.