Improve MedHelp Suggestions Community
Inbox harder to find if any new mail?

This forum is to discuss ideas for new features and functionality - ways to improve MedHelp. This forum is NOT the place to ask Medical Questions or submit technical issues. If you have a Medical Question, please post it in the appropriate forum. If you have questions, please read our FAQs.

Inbox harder to find if any new mail?

Am I trolling on my page wrong or is the inbox no longer showing if you have new messages when you hover over it (in the new format) with your mouse/finger/cursor?  It is cleaner looking but I miss seeing if there were any new messages without having to open the inbox itself.

Just a question/suggestion
Hi, SarahL2491,

Yes, there was a site update yesterday that resulted in some changes to our site navigation.  I've passed your impressions along to our engineers.  

There are a few other comments and suggestions in the topic below this one ("Forums List Moved") too, if you'd like to add any other feedback you might have.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Improve-MedHelp-Suggestions/Forums-List-Moved/show/1926361

Claire
I honestly don't like It, now I have to go to my profile and click on the Communities that I've joined juss to get on It Instead of havin' the links on the top right (like where the Inbox link was) where I can juss easily scroll down, find the forum/community I wanted to be on and done. My personal opinion though.
Ohhhhhhh, now I found my communities under the "My Medhelp" tab. But I still miss It In the old spot.
There's no longer an "inbox" on the forum page?  The only way we know we have a message is to keep checking the profile page?   I hope this gets cleared up because it's inefficient right now...
Thanks!
Many of us agree with you about  the inconvenience of our inboxes, and notification of the  # of new messages,  being removed from the forum pages!

See some related comments in this thread:

My only other suggestion for the engineers would be that when you go to look at your inbox, holding the curser over it, it doesn't tell you if you have any new mail, you actually have to open the inbox to find out.  Perhaps you can pass that along to them?

I wish the engineers would realize with all the adds it takes awhile for pages to load, by doing the inbox the way they have it does not improve the site. Just the opposite as it now takes time to load a page just to see if one has any new messages..... I would love to hear their reason for this.
Hi there,

can-do-man, I'm not sure what you mean when you say it is taking longer for your pages to load.  I am not having that issue. Is it all pages that you use for the site or just certain ones, like clicking from a forum to your inbox, for example?  

I just want to make sure I am understanding it correctly so I can send the proper information to our engineers.

SarahL2491, we'll pass that idea on, too.  That's a good idea.

Thanks!

Steph
How about adding a "refresh button" to the pages?

Thanks Jules
No it's not taking extra time, it's just you have to click on then wait for the page to load then repeat the whole thing again to get back to where you was........ If they want to leave it where it is thats fine with me just show if you have any in your inbox like before.......
Can-do,

Is it only the inbox that is slow for you?

Emily
I guess I am not explaining this right. Before when you went to the forum of your choice you could look on the top right and if you had any PM's it would have inbox (1). You knew you had a PM... Now you have to mouse over "My Medhelp" and click on Inbox just to see, and yes it takes time for the page to load. Then you have to do a reverse just to get back to where you started.

There are times someone will notice your on line and send you a PM, if they have a question you could answer and they would see they had a PM. One could go to different forums and it would show up... Now if you wonder if you have got an answer you must go back and click on inbox to check. Maybe I am just lazy but I don't see where this is an improvement...
Or maybe this way, before when i went to the Hep C forum I could tell if I had a PM by looking at the top right. I could answer the PM go back into the forum, click on a question and read it then click on the "Back to Community" button, I could then tell my looking at the top right if I had got an answer as it would show up as inbox (1) so I knew, didn't have to wonder or click on inbox just to see..............
Thanks for the link!  :)
Here's my 2¢

It bugs me how you have to go to your Profile to see if you have messages. I liked it when I could tell if there was a message just by looking at the top of the screen when I was posting on the forum. Here I am posting and the people who sent me a message probably think I am blowing them off. I rarely ever go to my Profile or Home page.

It seems like a small thing but when I am on my rinky dink lap top or my phone every flaw and extra step in the interface can be cumbersome.
Is there any way to go back to having the inbox on the page when you log in?...when you are posting?...when you are reading posts...etc? That and our short cuts, communities we belong to, were the one constant.

I am getting the impression that when there is an update, MH does not know how it affects the end user.  Is this correct?

I wondered where my short cuts and inbox went a couple of days ago though did manage to locate after some confusion.

This reminds me of last year when we lost the ability to email posts as well as some of our members.  It was helpful as I used it to try to show family and friends how others were dealing with HCV and tx.
I see this option remains in other communities on MH

Thank you
Dee

I'm not sure if returning the inbox notification to its old location is a possibility, but I will be sure to pass this feedback along so the site designers can review it.  Thank you!
Does anyone know the reason for removing the inbox from its previous location?  I just can't see where it's an improvement...

So many members will send a PM, instead of posting on the open forum, to ask a question of another member.  Now these PM'S  are not being answered in a timely manner and it's causing some upset.  

It's especially difficult to constantly go back and forth between forum pages and profile pages, to check for messages, when using an iPhone or iPad.  

Part of the therapeutic value of the forums has been to keep people/members in touch with each other and the beauty of immediate response on the forum and in PM'S worked very well in achieving that goal.   Now, it's more efficient to be contacted privately via personal email, although I would discourage the sharing of that info...

How are the Moderators dealing with this change?  Are they checking for PM'S every 5 minutes or so while they're working?  I'm sure they get many, many PM'S during the course of their time online...

Well, I guess folks could use their status to let another know they've sent a message...lol
I agree with you vicki..This change is bothering and frustrating so many of us!
But who will hear our voice?
I am so disappointed.... :(
Hi there -

I've added your concerns to the others, and passed them on.

Emily
Emily it's going on a week now, do you have any ideal how long before someone gets an answer instead of we have passed this on? Nothing against you but is this just Medhelps "talking points" until the people that make this forum possible just shut up and accept it???
Hi can-do-man,

I'm sorry this is so frustrating!  These really aren't talking points - it's just all the information we have at the moment.  I'm sorry I don't have more.  The site designers/engineers have a number of irons in the fire, not just this one, and no one is purposely ignoring this.  If we receive any updates to share on this issue, we'll be sure to pass them along to you all as quickly as possible.
Hi everyone -

We will be changing this, hopefully this week, but may be later. At this point, we expect it to still not show Inbox on the toolbar, but instead, will look like "My MedHelp (8)" (for 8 unread messages), and then when you hover over it, and get the menu, it will show Inbox (8).

I'm sorry that anyone thinks we are purposely ignoring anything, and assure you that we don't work that way. Sometimes, things just take some time.

I hope this helps.

Emily
That sounds great Emily!
Lira and Emily, thank you for this news. Em from what you said it sounds like that will work just fine... I also believe this has been as frustrating for the moderators as it has been for us and not for one minute did I or would I think any of us felt  that the mod's were ignoring us but just doing their job.

Again thanks to both of you..........
That will be great.......just so its somewhere without the extra 2 steps.  Seeing the number was always a reminder that we had mail!

Thanks guys for listening to us and finding a fix.

That would be just GREAT !! ♪♫♪♫♪ Doing the happy dance ♪♫♪♫♪  

Thank you so much!  :)

Thank you very much as I noticed things were changed during the night last night.  I cannow see number of messages as well as more communities/groups show so I dn't have to 'shrink' so much!  Thanks very much for listening to us and addressing concerns!
Yes, indeed thanks!

Really much much better!  I appreciate that our input was taken into consideration, and a solution was found.  I know you guys have lots on your plate, they actually handled that very quickly!

Please tell the IT gurus thank you!