Improve MedHelp Suggestions Community
PTSD FORUM NEEDED

This forum is to discuss ideas for new features and functionality - ways to improve MedHelp. This forum is NOT the place to ask Medical Questions or submit technical issues. If you have a Medical Question, please post it in the appropriate forum. If you have questions, please read our FAQs.

PTSD FORUM NEEDED

We have MedHelp members looking all over for help with their PTSD.
With so many that have served our country, and continue to return home from war and are still having problems finding proper, trained, care and treatment, we really need a PTSD forum here.

There has to be a place for our Combat Veterans and their families to come to learn, be supported and encouraged, and to network services available. I've been advocating for Veterans for over 18 years as a state trained un-paid Veteran Service Officer. We've go to broaden the base of support and provide access to adequate care for all Veterans and their families, and we need to do it now! There is no time to slow down. We're still losing lives.

THIS IS AN EXTREMELY VALUABLE SERVICE TO PROVIDE OUR VETERANS AND THIER FAMILIES!
Please consider placing it under Military Health Issues "PTSD" Thank you ~ Woman Who Waits ~ Woshi
I think it is a wonderful idea and I think they should stop calling it PTSD.  Anybody can get PTSD from a bad situation, but only veterans can be Shell Shocked and there was also another name they used that was VERY discriptive of this condition before they got politically correct.  If you have a PTSD forum every nutjob who every had a bad dream is going to fill up the forum so maybe there should be a forum for returning vets instead.
Post WWI it was called shell shock, post WWII it was called combat neurosis, then PTSD after Vietnam. But the part that fires me up is that they didn't have any treatments specific to PTSD until after Desert Storm!!  I've also heard it called PTS Syndrome (on this site), which also *****. Traumatic is the operative word in the diagnosis. Veterans have waited 30-40-50-60+ years for PTSD treatment ~ to not be called a nutjob, as you put it. The medical community didn't formulate any effective treatments until the late '80's early 90's, and there are still few effective treatments available at the VA.

I had to learn to speak Vietnamese to save my life while he (one of our "greatest" Native American Veterans/War Hero) had my .357 pointed at my head and pulled the trigger repeatedly for days on end! I had to speak Vietnamese to save my own life but I was stateside, and it was friendly fire. So I'm ineligible for a PTSD diagnosis, or just to be in a PTSD forum?? There are families across the country go through this same **** after every war again and again ~ the silent family members that have the "1,000 yard stare", you'll start recognizing them everywhere if you've experienced it yourself.

There are many options for PTSD treatment available exclusively to Veterans ~ they're in the VA, the Vet Centers across the country. Trauma survivors, be it Combat, Stateside post-war POW-MIA's, natural disasters, or terrorist or other heinous event traumas ~ have the same sx. and need the same tx.;s. We have more in common than we do differences. We have to cull whack jobs out of every area of our life, not just in health care ~ and I'm sure that the hundreds of Veterans I've helped with their benefits and comp & pen  fighting as a volunteer service officer over the last 18+ years stuffing the UCMJ's up the gov'ts *** ~ will tell you that I don't have to prove myself to be here.
There are lots of places available online for Combat Veterans excusive support!
And I should ultimately STFU because the bottom line is that ~ you've laid it all on the line ~ for me, for us ~ and I'm just here to be in service to all of you when you come home from the hell we call war.

Thank you for the suggestion, and this community just went live at: http://www.medhelp.org/forums/show/316. We actually also have a Military Health Issues community that deals with all issues, including PTSD at http://www.medhelp.org/forums/show/265. However, PTSD also extends beyond military issues, so we decided it deserved its own community as well.

MedHelp
WooHoo!!! Thanks for BOTH!