Hi All.... I have a 17 month old daughter who was diagnosed with IP at 6 weeks of age. We are very blessed in that her condition is very mild. My husband and I would like to have more children but fear having to go through what we went through with my daughter. Does anyone know what the chances of this happening again are? I have not been genetically tested (nor has my daughter - she was diagnosed by skin biopsy) but I do not think I have it. Our doctors believe it was a spontaneous mutation. I also also have a 3 year old son who is not effected. I was just curious if there is anyone out there with a similar situation or who knows what the chances might be of it occuring again in this family. Thank you for any advice you could give.
I was also a spontaneous mutation (28 now). The drs. determined that she did not have IP based on physical diagnosis and she went on to have 2 more healthy children after me. My case is also mild. Baylor is the only place in the US that tests for IP. You could send them a blood sample to find out for sure. Your genetic counselor will be able to help with this. The test is around $500 if your insurance does not cover it (mine did not). In 80% of cases the gene deletion can be identified. This could also be important when the time comes for your daughter to have a family as there are many options for not passing on the gene. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I've done a lot of research recently for family planning purposes recently. Best of luck to you!
My daughter (8mos) & I have both tested positive for IP via genetic testing. I too, and wanting more children but am very concerned about future pregnancies. I am not sure of the odds if you are not a carrier, but I know in my case, I have a 50/50 chance of having a boy or girl and a 50/50 chance of the disorder being present. Hope this helps. Pam
I am 30 with a 7 year old daughter that has IP. I would love to have another child but have not been tested myself and the doctors at Baylor told me it was most likely a spontaneous mutation. Maybe 1 day I will decide and just have the testing done on me to be sure. I don't want to add stress to my pregnancy. During my pregnancy with my daughter I had to be on blood pressure meds the entire pregnancy and I think that might of caused the mutation or I could just be grasping for an explanantion. That being said I would never take anything no matter my health risks during a pregnancy. So I am kinda at a stand still.
Hi There! My daughter Rachael was diagnosed with IP around 10 weeks old (shes 2 1/2 now). We had herself and me tested and I am not a carrier--so therefore she was a spontaneous mutation as well. We got a letter outlining IP from our genetic counsellor and i beleive she suggested doing testing should we choose to have more children, but that the likelyhood of another one of your eggs carring the mutaion was somewhere around 2-3%. Hope this helps!!
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.