Incontinentia Pigmenti Community
Is there anyone with IP who has giving brith to a boy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to incontinentia pigmenti, genetics, and breast, dental, eye, hair, nail, nervous system and skin problems.

Hi My name is Michelle I was born in Canada and now live in London UK, I’m 27yrs I was diagnosed with IP at birth, I Have no sight in my left eye and I have squint I don’t have my full set of adult teeth my nails are always weak and at birth I also was born with a red rash with now look like stretch marks Our doctor in London told me that I could never have a boy I was only 10yrs, so it didn’t matter at the time
Now I’m getting married and would love to start a family, and I would love to have a boy, Is there anyone with IP who has had a boy? please let me know thank you very much
Michelle,

My sister who has IP had a healthy son 2 years ago.  She did have 2 miscarriages before he was born (probably boys).  I don't believe it is very likely for a boy to survie but it can happen.  I, myself, have 2 sons, but I am the only one in my family that does not have IP.  
Good luck.
Yes, you can have a boy!  IP affects 50% of pregnancies, and of those, you would assume that 1/2 would be female and 1/2 would be male.  Those males would not survive.  50% would not be affected by IP, and again, 1/2 of those would be male, healthy males.  If you were to conceive naturally, you would have 25% of having a healthy boy, 25% chance of having a healthy girl, 25% chance of having a girl with IP, and a 25% chance of a boy with IP would most likely miscarry.  You can also do in vitro with genetic testing on the embryos to ensure a healthy baby.  Hope that helps!  I would recommend contacting a genetic counselor when you are ready to have children to help you understand your options and risks.  
hi my name is ariel, im 19 years old i was born with ip and i had a pretty well life with it when i was younger i had alot of the sympthoms but as ive gotten older the only thing is my nails and my teeth grew funky. i am currrently pregnant with a baby boy, im praying to god he is not born with it... i go to get a leavel 2 ultrasound that will tell me more about his genetics and maybe he wont be born with it as soon as i know more ill let you know ill pray for you as well
I have IP and had a perfectly healthy little boy-however I had two miscarriages prior to and have had two miscarriages since his birth.  2 of 4 I can say were realated 100% to having IP, the other two were too early to really determine