Incontinentia Pigmenti Community
NT Scan/Nuchal fold measurements for IP fetuses

This patient support community is for discussions relating to incontinentia pigmenti, genetics, and breast, dental, eye, hair, nail, nervous system and skin problems.

Has anyone else whose child has IP done an NT scan during the first trimester of your pregnancy?  Did you get a normal or "elevated risk" result?  Do you know what your nuchal fold thickness measurement was?  And if so, how severely affected is your daughter?

I am trying to figure out if there is any correspondence between the NT measurement and severity of IP... I haven't been able to find any data on this anywhere.

A normal nuchal fold thickness is about 1 mm.  Usually if it's over 3 mm, then there's a very good chance the fetus has some kind of severe defect/condition, such as Down's, Trisomy 18, or, I think, severe IP.

I have had 3 pregnancies.  The first was identical twin boys, with IP.  Their nuchal fold was 6 mm thick - VERY abnormally thick.  The second was another boy with IP - with a 5 mm measurement.  Again, very enlarged.  I am currently pregnant with a girl, and her measurement was just 0.6 mm, which is very good, in fact better than average.  I just got my CVS results today and they show that she has IP, much to our great surprise.  I was thinking if she had IP, that she would have at least a measurement of 2 or so...

So the big question is, does that mean she will not have any neurological effects of IP?  And that her case will be very mild?  I know no one probably knows, but I'd like to try to gather as much data as possible... especially considering my previous experience with my other IP pregnancies NT measurements...
We recently ended a pregnancy after learning that it was a boy with IP.  At my 10 week ultrasound, the nuchal translucency measurement was thicker than normal.  We monitored the pregnancy weekly for the next 6 weeks and measurement varied anywhere from 4mm-9mm, with weekly changes.  The fluid never spread beyond his head, neck, and back.  We also found very little information about any correlation between increased measurements and IP, but it does seem that it might indicate a boy with IP.  My genetic counselor said that she was able to find a few reported cases, but not enough to make a diagnosis without CVS test results.  For anyone else who encounters this, I would definitely be cautious and monitor the pregnancy carefully.  And of course, would recommend CVS testing.
Hello, I lost a boy to IP in January. We had the NT fold checked around 13-14weeks and his was normal. As far as that test goes I believe it is just a screening to indicate something might be wrong. It seems to have been true for you. I wish you the best.
I have IP and im currently 15 weeks pregnant. my nuchal scan shows my baby has 8.4mm of fluid behind its neck. Im having a Amniocentesis test done in 2 days which will rule out downs ect. Have you heard of anyone having this much fluid?

Liddy87 :)
Hi Liddy,
During my pregnancy, the measurement got up to 9mm.  I had weekly ultrasounds from 10 weeks until 16 weeks and the measurements ranged from 4mm-9mm.  It was a boy and he did have IP.  We terminated the pregnancy at 17 weeks after receiving the results from the CVS.  My genetic counselor said that she did find some reported cases of boys with IP having large NT measurements, but it's not always the case.  

Will you be testing for IP as well?  Are you doing your testing through Baylor?  I know from experience that their results take about 5 weeks.  I did recently find out about another lab that can get the results faster, 1-2 weeks, but have not done much research on them yet.

http://www.genedx.com/services/dis_ikb.php

Please let me know if you have any questions.  I've certainly been where you are.  Best of luck.

Kim