Incontinentia Pigmenti Community
Purple Feet?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to incontinentia pigmenti, genetics, and breast, dental, eye, hair, nail, nervous system and skin problems.

Purple Feet?

I have purple feet all the time. They don't turn color in response to temperature. There is not discomfort. The skin appears healthy other than it ranges in color from red (like sunburn) to purple (like a bruise). Applying pressure to the skin causes it to go back to flesh color but as soon as the pressure goes away, the redness/purple return. Elevating the feet does not seem to have an impact. Sometimes the feet are cold to the touch but probably not more so than the average woman's feet.

It started about three years ago and has progressed significantly in the last 6 months. I'm very healthy - ex-smoker of 7 years. I exercise daily - run several days a week. I take no medications other than a daily vitamin. I have no allergies.

I've been to a dermatologist, general practitioner, vascular specialist and rhuematologist - all whom have never seen anything like this and none of whom have a clue what it could be or how or if to treat it.

I'm hoping there is someone else out there who has experienced this or knows someone who has. Thanks.
Could you upload a picture? Does the color change back to normal if you put your feet in ice water?
I have had this same problem for 5 years now ( age 36 ) I have been told that it is due to smoking...however, reading your message helps me understand that that is not always the case! My GP doesnt believe it is the smoking either, as I have quit for a short period of time, and no changes. I get the same....never seen anything like it! Its scary because it does progress...my discoloration has now moved up to me knees!..and still no answers!
No, I havent tried that yet, but am willing to try anything at this point....I hope you are going to give me a clue as to what this could be, if they do change back to normal color!?!!
Off to put my feet in some cold water! :)
Wow, finally someone else with the same problem. My next move is to see Dr. Werth at U of Penn.

http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/dermatol/faculty/werth.html

She was recommended by the rhuematologist. My discoloration is spreading up my legs, too. I hate this.  Cold water isn't going to make a difference for me. Temp never matters.
OMG I stuck my feet in icewater ( after standing for a few minutes, to allow them to get fully purple ) and it stung like crazy! eeew, dont try that, lol.  I didnt "really" think that would work cause they are already cold, ya know? Anyhoo, I'm really depressed about Summer being around the corner, cause thats when I have to look at them...AND get constant comments on them. Not to mention...no shorts this year, with the whole purple knees now! Ugh...   As if my life couldnt get any worse..I just filed for a divorce last week ( after 84 DAYS of marriage ) because my spouse left me for a 19 year old! THEN, I get a knock at the door on Friday, and I get fined for a DWI ( OVI these days ) because "someone" claimed I hit a mailbox around the corner, and I had been drinking...IN MY HOUSE! Of course, no damage to my Jeep, but strategically placed in my grill was thier mail!!!!!!!!! ...Then... Saturday I wake up and my hallway is flooded from my hot water tank taking a dump. OMG I can only laugh about these situations, cause I am all cried out!   So, as far as going to anymore Docs about my feet....well, it might be a while! lol     Surely let me know if you find anything out, because my guess is, I will lose my feet/legs by the time I hit 40!..VERY SCARY!
Sorry that didn't help. I have a relative who has an issue with the dilation of her veins over so they appear deep red. It sounds as if your colorating is due to pigmentation rather than blood.

Sad to hear about the divorce but you are better finding out now than after a few years. Also, try contesting the OVI..or better yet try and get a lawyer to help contest it.