Incontinentia Pigmenti Community
Seizures and IP

This patient support community is for discussions relating to incontinentia pigmenti, genetics, and breast, dental, eye, hair, nail, nervous system and skin problems.

Seizures and IP

When my daughter was a few days old she started having seizures, they gave her an MRI and found blood clots in her brain. The doctors put her on blood thinner and seizure medicine. A week later she develop a rash and blisters, the dermatologist diagnosed her with IP. Are the blood clots in her brain related to the IP? Will she have a blood clot disorder, and will they continue to come back? Where are the seizures coming from, the blood clots or the IP? Will she always have seizures? I have asked these questions to her doctors and they have no answers, they keep telling me I have to wait and see what happens. Please if anyone has any information I would be very grateful.

One more thing....
My daughter has seen the eye doctor and he told me she has abnormal blood vessels. He said we have to do a follow up to see if they have changed. From my research I have found there is a connection with the eyes and the brain. How will I know what her mental capacity will be in the future?

Thank you in advance
Laylas Mom

hey there so sorry to hear the news your girl has ip my bub does as well . to answer your questions i am no doctor but i think it all sounds like ip i dont think there is any way to find out there mental capacity unfortuantly its just wait and see  the only other peice of info i can give you is i found that a genetic specialist can shed lots of light on the situation best of luck
I am the Executive director of the IP foundation.  I will try to answer some of your questions.

It is not unusual for a baby with IP to have seizures, and kyou should consult a Pediatric Neurologist.  As for the eyes it is also not unusual for there to be eye problems.  For this you should visit a Pediatric Ophthalmologist.  A description of how to examine the keys of a baby born with IP is on the web site.  www.ipif.org.  How long any of these symptoms will last is very difficult to determine.  Has your daughter had a genetic test to confirm the diagnosis?  Neurological problems are also a possibility with IP, but first confirm that she does have IP.  IF you wish contact me firectly at ***@****.