Infectious Diseases Community
A cat bit me could I have rabies?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

A cat bit me could I have rabies?

I was bitten by a cat in November 14.  I immediately wash my hand and put an antibiotic on it.  I have to wait for few hours for the clinic to open.  The doctor only gave me tetanus shot but not antibiotic (she said I don't need it).  After 4 days of night sweats I went to a different clinic and the doctor gave me a cream and an antibiotic (Clarithromycin).  The day after I finished my antibiotic I developed a back pain so I went back to the same clinic and the doctor prescribed me (Neurogen E Vitamin)  I took it for 7 days and everything went well.  5 days after that I developed a night sweats and rashes I thought it was TB (I had a history of TB before) I immediately went to the hospital to get it check (the doctor said it was not TB) so he gave me Doxycycline for 7 days.  Today is my 6 days.  I have no rashes not till yesterday and today.  Should i worried I might get rabies.  I'm so worried right now I don't know what to do.  Please help.  What should I do to prevent getting rabies.
Well the incubation period for rabies is 5 to 12 weeks.  It really depends on the person.  So the first question I have is was the cat rabid?  Is this a family pet or somebody else's pet?  Was it some cat that just ended up in your yard and you got bit?  

Most household animals are vaccinated for rabies so if it is somebody's pet you can simply ask them.  If it was a stray cat and you cannot catch the cat for observation, then there are rabies shots you can get as a precaution.

Hi, thanks for replying.  It was my cat but I didn't get it vaccine.  I'm so worried right now, my hand is healing good.  I started to worried after I read about rabies.  Should I go back to my doctor?  but the cat is fine tho, eating well.  
Is your cat an indoor cat?  If so, then you don't have anything to worry about.  If your cat is an outside cat, then you may want to talk to the vet as to what you should do.  Your bite was a little over a month ago and I think the quarantine period is something like 10 days.  If your cat is not acting strange (i.e., out of control mean) then I think you are in the clear but talking to a vet cannot hurt.  
Thank you so much J