Infectious Diseases Community
Abscesses for an entire year.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

Abscesses for an entire year.

OK this is going to be a long post. I am a 21 year old healthy female who for the past year have been getting extremely painful abscesses. They do not just occur in one specific spot of the body, I have had them every where (my forehead, elbow, stomach, hips, thighs, calves, and even the tops of my feet). I have seen the doctors and all they do is prescribe me more and more pills to take, sometimes it is a combo of pills sometimes it is just one pill. They are all antibiotics. I have never had them lance the abscess and I have had abscesses that create a red circle around it that measured close to 4 inches across my thigh. :-( Some combinations of pills worked while I am on them and then when I am off of them they never fail to come back. I have had 5 abscesses in the past 3 weeks, 2 of which were on my hip, one on my thigh, one on my elbow, and the current one on my face. I have read that facial abscesses are serious so I went to an emergency room and the doctor was awful he did everything that was not recommended.. No numbing and he dug into it with a hollow 18 gauge needle and squeezed, then informed me verbally and on paper to squeeze it 3-4 times a day of which I know you do not do because it can push the infection further. This was all he did and i had a fever, loss of appetite, my throat was sore, and in extreme pain. He prescribed me Tylenol for pain, and Keflex of which I have been on multiple times before. This also worries me due to the fact of how many antibiotics I have been on and I know that the body develops immunity to antibiotics. I have not had a referral to an infectious doctor, seems almost impossible, they just want to keep feeding me pills. I just moved to Las Vegas, NV and have an insurance from Ca (Heritage Health Network, High Desert Medical) and don't even know where to start out here to get this taken care of because I do not want to go back to that urgent care or keep getting these abscesses. Any help would be greatly appreciated, please!
Doesn't have anything to do with HIV.
I am not a doctor, but it sounds like MRSA, you should try to see a dermatologist, but ultimately you have to see a infectious disease doctor, I know your frustrated and hate taking more medications, but being your own adocate to your health is key, you can be frim and insist on being see by one of these through a regular doctor. You need to be tested for MRSA, witch is done by a swab or by blood test, and also have your infections reclutured for suceptablilty to medications. A fever with your infections can be dangrous and be a sign of spectic posioning. You are right not to touch any new sore, you can also minimize your outbreaks by, not shaving, washing the stuff you touch and wear with warm hot soapy water, and washing your hands. also if you are a female and taking birth control, it is known to cause more out breaks, I too have suffered with MRSA. Also since your on so many different medications, you should start writing down what you taking, how offten and any new symptoms you might be having. This will help your new doctor. Also you need to bring up is your medcation intarcting with others, and if the ones you are on now have any long term effects, some might require you to have blood test done often. Also when your on so many medications, it sometimes causes, C-Diff. to help or even prevent this eat lots of yougrt to help maintane a healthy bactiera in your stomach. I hope all goes well with you, and I hope you find this helpful