Infectious Diseases Community
Blood Draw exposure?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

Blood Draw exposure?

Hello, I am very aware I have OCD / anxiety issues when it comes to health concerns. However, I have a question about an incident today. I was sent today to get my blood drawn for a TSH (thyroid) test. At the lab, the nurse put the tournaquet on my arm, and cleaned the area. Next, she put one glove on....then she turned away and sneezed (I think into her ungloved hand or wrist). Next she put a glove on the 2nd hand and felt for my vein. She inserted the needle and took my blood. My question is, could her saliva or mucous being on the gloves or my skin be an issue here? I do not believe she touched the needle itself, but could I contract anything (like HIV or any other communicable disease) by her drawing my blood immediately after sneezing? I know this sounds ridiculous to some, but to those with anxiety its stressful. Thank you in advance for your help.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? I understand your concern regarding the possible infection. As long as  there is no direct exposure to the skin where she sneezed  to the needle or skin and the nurse put the sterile glove after, it is unlikely that there is transmission. However, some infection are transmitted through droplet form  and factors such as your over-all health and immune status should also be considerations in contracting any infection. Take care and do keep us posted.
So is this considered a exposure risk? Should I get tested for hiv and other diseases? Sorry, another doctor told me there was no risk and now I'm confused.