Infectious Diseases Community
Chronic lower extremity swelling after cellulitis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

In 09/2008, I was hospitalized for 1 week with cellulitis of my left lower extremity.  I was on iv vancomycin and another antibiotic that escapes me right now.  During my hospital stay, my leg was very swollen and tight and was told as the infection deceases, so would my swelling in the leg.  I have been assured that the infection is gone, but I still suffer with daily swelling of my lower leg immediately upon getting up in the morning and putting my leg down.  I have been to a vascular surgeon and had ultrasounds of my legs and it showed no blockage anywhere.  My leg and foot literally become twice the size of my right leg, and my toenails will turn grey and my foot and ankle will become purplish in color.  I am very concerned about the damage I might be doing to my leg, and if there is any other avenue to puruse other than "this is something you will have to live with the rest of your life."  It has greatly impaired my quality of life and I am very concerned about the continued damage I may be doing to my leg.