Infectious Diseases Community
Do I have TB?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

Do I have TB?

Hi, I'm a 24 year old male. I've been having dry coughs for 3 weeks now and I'm worried. I have been taking medicine for more than 2 weeks now but the coughing still persists. I thought that I might have TB so I searched the internet for symptoms and three of those listed matches what I have been experiencing.

TB Symptoms:
-A bad cough that lasts 3 weeks or longer
-Pain in the chest
-Coughing up blood or sputum (phlegm from deep inside the lungs)
-Weakness or fatigue
-Weight loss
-No appetite
-Chills
-Fever
-Sweating at night

The "bad cough that lasts 3 weeks or longer", "chills" and recurring "fever" (which happens after I feel the chills and lasts hours only) are what I have been experiencing since this dry coughs began. I'm skinny but I don't think it is considered as "weight loss" because I have been skinny since high school. I was planning to apply for a new job but was cancelled due to these coughs. I had to cough every once in a while and I don't want to face the interviewer in this kind of situation.

So is it possibly TB? If so, what early measures I can do to treat or prevent it from getting worse? Please help me. Thank you and God bless.

(I don't know which topic this falls into so I'll just post it here.)
If you have had a cough for 3 weeks, then you should go to your doctor and he/she will probably order a chest x-ray depending on what they hear when they listen to your chest.  A persistent cough does not mean you have TB.  It could be any number of things.  No use sitting there and wondering, just go to the doctor.  Take care.