Infectious Diseases Community
Doctor for systemic fungal infection?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

Doctor for systemic fungal infection?

How does one get to the RIGHT doctor for an undiagnosed systemic fungal infection? I have a working Immune System and no other illness and I believe I have been misdiagnosed for 26 years with seasonal allergies and sinus infections. I can't even get a doctor to give me a scan because all of my tests appear so healthy. I feel very seriously ill and I am basically bedridden for the past 10 years. For 9 months now I have been trying to get help with this- but my Blood Fungal Test came up negative. I have already tried 6 months of strict diet and 2 months probiotics and all I have managed to do is shrink it, it isn't gone. I have used Baking Soda for 6 months  (with huge success) but do not feel comfortable continuing due to the risks.  Is there really no way to get help with this quickly? I read online that in HEALTHY people that have this there is only a 13% survival rate if you host it over decades- I am living the why behind that right now with the medical world. I can find no information supporting that I can rid myself of this with diet alone due to the fact that I have had it for decades. I can also find no information on possible damage left behind by something like this when you have hosted it for so long. Any information would be much appreciated!
What type of systemic fungus do you think you have? What are your symptoms? Did you travel? Do you have  a chronic cough/fever etc?  Or is it skin infection. I need more detailed information. Have you been to an infectious disease doctor yet?
thanks,
I believe I have Candida- I have about 100 symptoms- that the medical world has told me were seasonal allergies and nothing more for the past 26 years. Problem is all of these symptoms have become more severe and happen non stop now and they become more severe very slowly. A systemic infection is inside your body so no- I do not have a skin infection. I had a low grade fever for 15 years. I would be the rare case of a working immune system so NONE of the symptoms show as they do normally- In our area no Infectious Disease Doctor will not see you without documentation first of what you have. Evidence I currently have is thrush that has been in my mouth for 3 years and toe nail fungus since 1998. Main symptoms present like many other things... severe fatigue, brain fog, severe inflammation, headache, dizziness.. all made worse by consuming sugar or carbs.
I am a microbiologist so I get that you have a chronic infection but if it isn't in your blood or spinal fluid it isn't systemic. It is a chronic infection which is different. I am just trying to get to the root of your problem. Is it just in your mouth? Toe nail fungus is everywhere and almost everyone has it. Oral thrush is not normal. So, have you been treated for the oral thrush? Have you ever been tested for what species you have? Are you sure it is thrush. It is solid white that bleeds when you scrape it off. I thought I had thrush and it was just a staph (which is also white). There are some strains that are very resistant to anti-fungal medication. Have been tested for HIV? Are you on any immunosuppressant drugs? Have you had your immunoglublulin level, CD4 or CD8 level done? Complete blood count done? I am just trying to get to the root of the problem and help. Yes your symptoms are non specific. Is your blood sugar normal? You could get tested for Hemoglobin A1C to see if you are diabetic or hypoglycemic. It may explain the dizziness with sugar. So you should see a family doctor or dentist and see if they can get the yeast identified. They should do a culture or at least a wet prep or smear to see for sure it is yeast. If it is they should speciate it then you could be treated properly for it. If it is a resistant strain that may explain why it hasn't gone away. But why you got it in the first place may be harder to figure out.
mkh9
I  have had a yeast infection for over two years (vaginal) I have seen GP, OBGYN, & an Infectious Dr. All say blood work is fine. they all give me rounds for Diflucan and Creams. I am on a very Strict diet NOTHING is working. I feel bad all the time. My marriage is also stressful due to lack of sexual relations. I am at the end of my rope. I feel something is seriously wrong. The only other health issues i have are Thyroid (removed) I take B12 Injections Potassium Vit D and Synthroid. Who can I see that specializes in Fungal Infections? I dont care how far I have to travel or the cost, I want to get better!!! What test should I request ??
Do you know if anyone has actually identified the species of Candida that you have? Some species are very resistant? If you still have the same species of yeast after taking  the meds then it may be a strain that is resistant to that treatment. I do know a great infectious disease doctor in California (near Santa Monica). But I would have to check on where the office is now. But you should be able to have them test for it there in your area. There is no reason that if you have this yeast for so long and the treatment isnt' working that they should let you request that you get tested to speciate the yeast. Not all yeast are sensitive to the treatment. You could have one these types. Infectious disease doctors should be the ones that would take care of fungal infections. Maybe you don't have a good one and should see another one there first?  I understand about the problem you are having with your marriage due to lack of sexual relations as that happened to me after a back injury. I felt so bad about it. We're finally after several years getting somewhat back to normal. I am also taking a high dose of vitamin D and synthroid. What do you think?
mkh9
Betho8477, did they test you for diabetes? I assume so since you said your blood work is normal? Having a yeast infection for so long can be a sign of diabetes. FYI the strains that are resistant to the usual antibiotics for yeast are Candida glabrata, Candida prapsilosis, Candida tropicalis, and Candida krusei. Sometimes these can be resistant to the stronger anti-fungals as well. So are you bedridden for so long due to chronic fatigue or pain or both. What is going on there?
mkh9
I have been tested for everything. I am in the funeral business so I get a regular blood work once a year. I was on  antibiotic therapy about 5 yrs ago for post strep syndrome but the yeast started years later I have had the yeast two years and four months. I havent asked for them to test the strain of yeast. I am not bedridden yet, I am still working my insane work sched. I called my obgyn yesterday and they called in the same cream 7 day treatment and wellbutrin to ease any stress. I am considering going to Mayo clinic to get another opinion. I guess my main concern is that there isnt an under lying issue bigger than the yeast. I will def mention the yeast be teasted next week for the specific type of strain.
Hi betho8477,
I looked at your original message and you shouldn't use baking soda to try to get rid of the yeast or really any douche. The baking soda causes the wrong pH and can actually make things worse. The vagina is really self cleansing. You don't want to make it worse. I know you have yeast infection but still I would stick to anti-yeast (fungal) medication. But, yes I would try to insist that they identify this yeast to the species level. Since you have had it so long there could some underlying problem we are missing. But, they all try to treat for Candida albicans that is generally not resistant. Most infections are C. albicans. But, C. glabrata is fairly resistant. But you could have gotten one of the very resistant strains. If they don't want to pursue it I would try Mayo clinic if you can. I has been far too long for you to suffer. Please let me know how your appointments go.
mkh9
I hope you can possibly help me. I contracted a parasite or fungus 6 and 1/2 years ago. I think I was bitten by a spider or bird mite (I used to feed the birds on my patio.)  Soon after being bitten, I noticed what I thought were numerous "balls of white lint" in my long, beautiful, baby fine hair. I didn't pay much attention at first but soon my hair turned very, HARD, WIRY, VERY THICK (looks like barbed-wire under magnifying glass). Soon I started experiencing numbness on my right side of body. (The bite was on the LEFT SIDE of my SCALP.) One time it was so bad I was admitted to the hospital for a week because the doctor thought I had had a STROKE.  I had not had a stroke, but the problems persisted. I started going to dermatologist and infectious disease doctors. Some believed me, most didn't at first, but now they can see with their own eyes I've lost most of my hair and what I have left is a kinky, hard wiry mess even the hairdresser can't do anything with.  The WORST PART is I'm starting to have DIFFICULTY WALKING due to the EXTREME WEAKNESS AND NUMBNESS of my RIGHT LEG!!!  Still the doctors won't take my suggestion that all my problems started after the initial insect bite!!!  I've been given countless CAT SCANS, MRIs, Ultrasounds, blood tests, fecal stool tests, etc.  A couple of dermatologist said they also thought it looked like a fungus or parasite, but when the Medical Technician couldn't identify it and it didn't grow in a "fungus dish", they gave up and said they must have been mistaken. (I also find these "white lint-like balls of lint-like matter on the outside of my rectum.) On examination under a magnifying glass, there are a "long red hairs and occasionally a few black" in the middle of these "white lint-like balls". On closer examination, these white "hairs" actually have a "BARB' on one end and are "TAPERED" on the other.  I don't know what to do as I'm getting physically weaker by the day. I experience terrible SHOOTING PAINS in my RIGHT FOOT and LEG.  The pain was SO BAD this morning that it woke me up!!!  I'm PARTICULARLY CONCERNED, because I have to take care of my ELDERLY 88 YEAR OLD MOTHER and now I'm getting TOO WEAK AND SICK TO DO THAT!!!  If you have any suggestions and/or can refer me to a doctor who can help me in the Los Angeles area, my Mom and I would REALLY APPRECIATE  any and all assistance you could give.  Thank you very much.  Sincerely, ds10
Hi ds,
since this is someone else's post can you message me? I am not sure I can help but I'll try. Have you seen a neurologist?
mkh9
The Ultra Wellness Center in Massachusetts will give you the answers you are looking for.  I am not a doctor just a patient that has gotten the answers I was looking for at the Ultra Wellness Center.  Worked great for me. Wishing you the best.