Infectious Diseases Community
Group B Strep

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

Group B Strep

I was recently diagnosed with a UTI and vaginal infection caused from GBS. I am a 35-year-old, non-pregnant, otherwise healthy female. I am seeking information about how this disease is transmitted, what may have triggered my illness and how to prevent future infections. My doctor doesn't have answers to these questions. The only information she could offer was that GBS is not sexually transmitted and I could have been born with it.

Five months before becoming ill, I was sexually assaulted by a stranger. I went to the ER at time of assault. 4 weeks after the assault I was tested for HIV and other STDs, all tests negative. I retested at 12 weeks and again, all tests negative. I did develop a stubborn yeast infection resulting from preventative antibiotics given at the ER. Prior to this I had not taken any antibiotics in over 10 years.

Pelvic pain and abnormal discharge were the symptoms that caused me to go to the ER, where I was treated with Bactrim DS and Doxicycline. 8 days later and after lab results (CBC, STD and whatever else ER doc ordered) came back, my family doctor prescribed 875 mg amoxicillian twice daily and discontinued the other antibiotics. 5 days later, I was sicker than I was on day one and my WBC was 15.5, same as it was on day one. Doctor then prescribed Flagyl 500 mg and Cipro 500 mg, both twice daily in addition to amoxicillian. I finished amoxicillian 3 days ago, my last dose of Flagyl is today and I have 3 days left to go with Cipro. Symptoms are gone! Doctor did another CBC today and wants urine and blood repeated 3 days after antibiotics are gone.

How did I get this and how can I prevent it from coming back? Thank you.

Tags: gbs, non pregnant
Hi soccermom108,
I'm very sorry you went through all this. Usually, GBS doesn't cause very serious illness. You can get a sore throat but generally is normal bacterial of the vagina.You can get GBS from fecal/vaginal/urethral contamination.
Infections due to group B streptococcus (GBS) are associated with older age, seriously compromised immune systems, and problems with the bowel or bladder which make it easier for these bacteria to invade deeper into the body. For instance, bladder catheters allow bacteria to grow in the urine and cause infection more easily. Bowel problems such as diverticular disease, cancer, or inflammatory bowel disease make it easier for the bacteria to invade damaged parts of the bowel wall and cause serious infections such as bacteremia. I don't believe you got this as a result of your mothers pregnancy. You would have had treatment at the time of birth and it is a serious infection at that time.  I can't believe all the antibiotics you were on. I would take probiotics for a couple of months or two yogurts a day that have live bacteria such as Lactobacillus and/or Bifidobacteria in order to prevent getting another bacteria called C. difficile. You may have had something else in addition to GBS. Do you know if it was a pure culture (one organism) of GBS in the vaginal and urine cultures? GBS usually isn't very resistant to antibiotics either. I think you may have had Trichomonas and maybe another organism based on the antibiotics he gave you. Your problem may have come from the assault. You should be able to get your complete lab results so you know what exactly was done and what you had. I don't think your illness was from the GBS alone. I doubt that you will get the same kind of infection again. If you do get GBS it shouldn't cause a problem like that. If you have any questions feel free. You may also send me a message if you like.
mkh9