Infectious Diseases Community
Hand jured inside toilet

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

Hand jured inside toilet

My boyfriend is a correctional officer. During one search, he had no gloves on except for a plastic bag over his arm. He put his arm inside one of the jail cell toilets to search for a shank (home made weapon in the jail). The shank was suspected to be inside the toilet where it was not visible. Stupid boyfriend used a plastic bag and put his entire hand inside the hole of the toilet. Found the shank and attempted to pull his hand out. In the process, he somehow scraped and cut his hand. It ripped the bag and his skin while his hand was still inside the toilet. He was basically bleeding then. I think he had the cut washed and bandage within the hour ( I hope). He said was he cut his hand while trying to pull his hand out, the shank did not cut him.

I gave him hell about not using his common sense and why would he put his hand inside a place where he can't see. He could used a pen, whatever. Now I am so concerned. This happened yesterday. I am afraid of HIV, hep C and whatever fear forsaken diseases he may have contacted.

I had to make him shower when he came home. Again, he had to put up a fight.

I know I did not over react. He is going to tomorrow to the doc for other testings for a job. I make him take a blood test. But I know too soon to tell. Now what???

I am scared for him. He is not.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How is your boyfriend? There is indeed a risk of infection especially if there is a break in the skin. It is good that he cleaned the wound immediately with soap and water after the incident. Depending on the size and symptoms present, initial shots with anti tetanus and antibiotics may be prescribed. With regards to other cause of infection that you mentioned, a variety of screening tests may need to be done to rule these out.  Take care and do keep us posted with his doctor's appointment.
He saw his family doctor. The doctor said he doesn't need anything. So the BF didn't get any antibiotics, shots or anything. Don't know what to think of it.