Infectious Diseases Community
Herpes and babies

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

Herpes and babies

I wanted to know, at what age are babies generally, out of hot water when it came to HSV1? When does it just become a cold sore virus and not necessarily a deadly infection? I have a baby who we found out was exposed to genital HSV1 at birth (we realized it 2 months after he was born.) Long story... If it presents now (he is 3 months old) is it more likely to show as encephalitis or a sore?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
Neonatal herpes usually results from exposure of the baby to the virus during delivery. It can either result in cutaneous manifestations or neurological manifestations. Neurological symptoms can give rise to breathing difficulties, grunting, rapid breathing, lethargy, hypothermia, seizures and shock. In cutaneous type of manifestation there are vesicles which may come repeatedly. It is difficult to determine whether your child will present with cutaneous manifestations or neurological. Since he has remained asymptomatic till now there are chances of a milder type of disease. Seek the opinion of a Paediatrician.I sincerely hope it helps.
Take care and best regards!