Infectious Diseases Community
Is it true that once you have pinworms they never leave your body

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

We  have had an incidence of pinworm in the family and I have treated with otc medicine and cleaned the whole house everyday according to instructions, and making sure strict hygience is followed.  It seems to have gone, but I read stupidly on the web that these  parasites never leave your body.  Only one post out of hundreds which say to the contrary, but does anyone know for sure if the medicine and hygiene methods actually rid this parasite from the body
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
Pinworms enter our body when we swallow their eggs. These infections occur when a person swallows pinworm eggs picked up from contaminated surfaces or fingers. Treatment involves two doses of medication with the second dose being given 2 weeks after the first dose. It is best to see a healthcare professional for correct treatment. All household members should be treated at the same time. Reinfection may occur so you need to take certain precautions. Hand washing is very important. The source of the infection should be sought and treated. Schoolmates, close contacts, friends and household members may be possible sources of infection. It is curable if treated correctly. Do write to me again.
Best luck and take care!