Infectious Diseases Community
Mono and Liver Issues

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

Mono and Liver Issues

I had liver inflammation when I had mono about a year ago. Things seemed to clear up for a while but on and off I have still felt swollen glands and sensitivity in the area of my liver. Is this normal?

This discussion is related to Hepatitis from mononucleosis.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello there,
After a person suffers from infectious mononucleosis the virus is shed in the throat during the illness and for up to one year after infection. The virus may remain dormant for a prolonged period and can later reactivate and be shed from the throat again. It can stay active in the body for up to a year after the symptoms disappear. In people with compromised immune systems or those taking immunosuppressant drugs there can be reactivation of the virus which can result in complications like swollen spleen, hepatitis or jaundice, anemia, or inflammation of the heart. As you mentioned you still feel sensitivity in liver area and enlarged glands it is best to consult a doctor and get yourself checked. Changes in the abdominal area may provide early indication of liver trouble. Cramping or pain in the lower abdomen, collection of fluid within the abdominal wall can all indicate liver problem. Consult your doctor and get yourself evaluated. Do keep me posted.
Take care and kind regards!
.