Infectious Diseases Community
Mycobacterium lentiflavum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

Mycobacterium lentiflavum

Hello can you please explain what is Mycobacterium lentiflavum . I am a 25 years old female since 13 been always had a positive TB test but also had a history of having a a BCG vaccine. For the last 4 years always done TB test and been positive but after done x-ray which is clear and it was done. Few month ago decided to send my sputum for a test never had a chronic cough but the test did not confirmed having TB but found Mycobacterium lentiflavum. What is it? Checked medical dictionary cannot find it. Read internet the info is broad and have not answered me on any of my questions. My doc saying I need to be treated for a TB for 9 months? Can you please help? 1. Does Mycobacterium lentiflavum conferms that I have TB? 2. I do not have any lung infections, or swelling in the neck, or liver infections. Will it come later in my life? 3. I am not an HIV+ and am not immunocompromised. Then how can you get it? 4. Is it infectious, since I live with my family? 5. Can it be 100% treated? Can it come back after treatment? 6. What its etiology? Is it a progressive disease? 7. Can it be treated as TB and successfully? 8. I do not have any symptoms now, still I need a treatment? If yes then what are the side effects and will it affect my quality of life? If no treatment required then what are my next steps? Thank you so much!!!