Infectious Diseases Community
Occular herpes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

Occular herpes

I am a medical professional. Recently during a scoliosis surgery on an pre-adolescent female , while doing a washout of her surgical site , a droplet of blood/water mixture entered my eyes ( I was not wearing eye protection at the time). I do not know whether this patient had herpes or not but I am worried i might become infected with ocular herpes. What are the chances of herpes keratitis with this method of transmission? Should I be worried?

Thank you for your time,
Herpes is not a blood borne pathogen iit resides in the nerve cells. The question is what type of surgical site was it? If it wasn't one where you would find Herpes such as a genital or oral site. The blood borne pathogens that you would worry about are HIV and Hepatitis B and C. So you may want to get tested for those. I had a similar experience where I was working in the lab and dropped a tube of blood on the counter when doing serology and the blood splashed in my nose mouth and eyes. I put my face under the eye wash for a while and was tested for HIV and Hepatitis at 0, 3, 6 months and I think a year because it was a long time ago. Now 0, 3 and 6  would be a good thing to check. I'm sorry this happened to you.
mkh9