Infectious Diseases Community
Oral sex and throat infection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

Oral sex and throat infection

Hi everyone, recently I went to the doctor with a nasty sore throat that had started to get swollen and accumulate white spots. He tested me for strep and found that it was not that, and my lymph nodes are not swollen for it to be mono. He said it was a viral infection that should last about three to four days. Anyway, the next day, I performed oral sex on my boyfriend. The day after that, I realized the infection had gotten even worse (at least to me). Could this have exacerbated the problem? Also, could this be something serious for me? Thank you all!

My symptoms are
Sore and swollen throat (predominately on one side)
Painful and difficult swallowing
A thick, white coating on my tonsils and throat
Nasal congestion (which I had had from before but has gotten worse)

Thanks again!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Do you still have the symptoms that you mentioned? Sore throat infection may be due to  viral or bacterial cause. Bacterial infection may present with exudates on the tonsils and may require antibiotic for treatment.If it persists, it is best that you have this checked by your doctor directly for proper evaluation. Take care and do keep us posted.