Infectious Diseases Community
Painful/itchy lumps - tropical disease/parasties??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

I went to Australia and to Fiji and then back to Australia. When I first got back, I got really sick - bloating, cramping, uncontrolable diareha, fatigue, vomitting. After about a week I was back to normal. About a month later I was on a boat in Australia and got a lump on the bottom of my foot. At first it was this red itchy spot and then formed a tumor like lump. It was so painful and I couldn't walk on it. It went away within a day. Thought nothing of it. I then continued on to Thailand and Cambodia and same thing happened. Both my feet, then my knees, buttocks, arms, elbows, fingers, face, lips. It work it's way up. These lesions were so painful and only itchy when they were forming. I was so sick, got bad anxiety, headaches, weight loss. It got so bad I had to come back to Canada. They though it was parasites, then lyme disease, now they have no idea. I have had 3 biopsies and every test you can imagine and they just kind of gave up. Now I still have these lesions/lumps, headaches, stomach pains/bloating, anxiety. Please help, everyone else has given up. I know it is probably some kind of tropical disease, just don't know what it could be. Parasites still make sense.
Dear freeworld,

What kind of tests have they performed? And which disease have been ruled out?

Have you done a stool sample? As this is the first to do in diagnosing parasites. However it is not very accurate.

I would think that it is an infection, from what you are describing. the boils may be sign of an toxicity reaction .. Have you examined your feet? maybe there is some thorn in the skin or any abnormality, which you have not described, except the lumps..

Have you described your trip to the doctors, as they may know diseases that are common in those geographical areas?

I hope you get better soon.
Regards, John.  

Hey, thanks for the reply. They have done pretty much every blood test you could imagine. I think I have been at least 15 times in the last 5 months. All my levels were normal except I had a high red blood count. I was tested for every STD and HIV as well. Because I am 22, that's the first guess...typical haha. Negative for everything which I already knew. They have done a total of 7 different stool samples. 3 Biopsies of these lumps when they form. The stool came back as negative for parasites. Same with the biopsies. Which is why they pretty much gave up. I still feel like it could be parasites, but honestly I am not a doctor, I have no idea. I was diagnosed with parasites in Thailand, gnathomiasis (migratory)...but that's their "go to" diagnosis I reckon they see alot of it. I still feel it could be parasites because I have every symptom. And when I was really sick initially, these "things" would leave "skid marks"...I could literally see them crawling, and they scared in some places. Sometimes the swelling would get to bad that I couldn't feel my fingers or toes anymore. I lost a total of 15 pounds in a period of a month, and I was only 120 to begin with. Whatever it is, is destroying my body. I have described my trip yes, over and over...I was hospitalized at the University of Alberta for 2 weeks with infectious diseases...they were the ones running all these tests, she had books she was going through, and she still came up with nothing. Thanks for your thoughts.