Infectious Diseases Community
Pinworms - Albenza 200mg or 400mg/Reese's

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

I have pinworms (diagnosed by identification of live specimens on toilet paper and stool).

I went to an urgent care clinic initially, because my primary and gastroenterologist are several hours away. Urgent care clinic doctor prescribed Vermox (now discontinued, according to several pharmacies). Pharmacist called the urgent care doctor to notify him that Albenza was the new standard treatment, and that it came in denominations of 200mg rather than the 100mg of Vermox. Urgent care doctor changed Rx to 2 x 200mg Albenza, spaced two weeks apart.

I followed up with my gastroenterologist the next day asking why i was given the 200mg dosage, when all of the literature seems to indicate 2 x 400mg as the therapeutic dose. He told me to take the second 200mg pill now, and that he would write a new Rx for 400mg to take in 2 weeks.

My questions are as follows:

1. Will the effectiveness of the initial dose be compromised by the interval in dose? In other words, because I took 1 200mg tablet one day, and another 200mg tablet the next day, is the effectiveness weaker than a single 400mg dose?

2. I also have Reese's Pinworm medication (pyrantel). Can I take this as an adjunctive therapy alongside the Albenza? Will it interfere with the effectiveness of the Albenza? I have read too many horror stories of persistent pinworm infections that don't respond to treatment, and I am mortified by the prospect of joining those ranks.

Thanks.
I'm not sure whether delaying the initial dose (which should have been 400mg on the first day) to 200mg on the first and second day will cause a problem or not. You should call your doctor The gastroenteroiogist would be the best person to ask this question. But I don't think it will cause a problem since the second dose will be correct and that dose is a backup dose anyway to catch any parasites that didn't die off. I wouldn't take another anti-parasitic drug in addition to this one without consulting your doctor. It may make matters worse. For example sometimes when people take too many antibiotics they end up with other infections because it wipes out their normal bacterial flora in their intestines .  You can go to the website that the CDC has for prevention of recurrances at:
http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/pinworm/prevent.html
This basically says to wash you hands after using the bathroom and don't scratch the anal area, wash any clothes and bedding in hot water and if there is more than one person in the house you would all be treated on the same days at the same time. It is easy to transmit the eggs of the worm around.
hope this helps