Infectious Diseases Community
Rabies
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Rabies

To anyone out there,

I am a 34 year old Caucasian male, currently working in South Korea. So far, I've never had any serious health issues and I intend to keep it that way.

Back in 2005, when I was living in Eastern Canada, I recieved a shot of immunoglobulin (in the rear) along with a series of anti-rabies vaccines (probably from vero cells) in the left shoulder over the course of several weeks. This was based on the recommendation of a health care professional after I came in contact with a bat in my rooom.

In early 2010, I received a rabies vaccine booster in South Corea shortly after coming in contact with an alley cat that was acting kind of "frisky".

Now, I am working in a small rural area of South Korea called Chang Nyeung. And about three weeks ago, upon leaving a restaurant to return to my job, I extended my left hand to a small beagle like dog with a collar on it. This dog wasn't accompanied by anyone. It seemed happy to see me, licked my hand and went on its way. But that was before I noticed small cuts near the area it licked.

I immediately went to the nearest bathroom and washed my left hand thoroughly for several minutes with soap and water. Right now, I am debating whether or not I should get yet two other anti-rabies shots (most likely vero cells vaccines) from the local Korean hospital.

And if I do, how "safe" would those shots be, given the fact that they were packaged in South East Asia? They did originate from The Sanofi-Pasteur Institute in Parais, France.

At any rate, I would apreciate any imput I could get.

Take care and may everyone enjoy good health!

Sincerely,

Chocabo