Infectious Diseases Community
Rabies

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

Rabies

To anyone out there,

I am a 34 year old Caucasian male, currently working in South Korea. So far, I've never had any serious health issues and I intend to keep it that way.

Back in 2005, when I was living in Eastern Canada, I recieved a shot of immunoglobulin (in the rear) along with a series of anti-rabies vaccines (probably from vero cells) in the left shoulder over the course of several weeks. This was based on the recommendation of a health care professional after I came in contact with a bat in my rooom.

In early 2010, I received a rabies vaccine booster in South Corea shortly after coming in contact with an alley cat that was acting kind of "frisky".

Now, I am working in a small rural area of South Korea called Chang Nyeung. And about three weeks ago, upon leaving a restaurant to return to my job, I extended my left hand to a small beagle like dog with a collar on it. This dog wasn't accompanied by anyone. It seemed happy to see me, licked my hand and went on its way. But that was before I noticed small cuts near the area it licked.

I immediately went to the nearest bathroom and washed my left hand thoroughly for several minutes with soap and water. Right now, I am debating whether or not I should get yet two other anti-rabies shots (most likely vero cells vaccines) from the local Korean hospital.

And if I do, how "safe" would those shots be, given the fact that they were packaged in South East Asia? They did originate from The Sanofi-Pasteur Institute in Parais, France.

At any rate, I would apreciate any imput I could get.

Take care and may everyone enjoy good health!

Sincerely,

Chocabo

hmm not quite sure on this issue.. could be an alergy (allergy) though..i know my auntie is alergic (allergic) to animal spitt best of luck.