Re-occurring painful boils on scalp following surgery
I had a major foot operation in August 2012. Shortly after I started getting painful boils on my scalp. I showed them to my surgeon who blew me off & said it was probably a spider bite. When they started spreading I finally went to a dermatologist who cultured it & said it was se sort of bacterial infection, but not staph. It has been 6 months now & I have been on 2500 mg of antibiotics for pretty much the past 6 months. I've tried scrubbing head with bacterial scrub, apple cider vinegar, distilled vinegar, etc., but they only help temporarily. Before the boils occur, I get really bad headaches & my scalp feels bruised like someone hit me in the head. Then a few days later, I get pus-filled boils in groups of 4 or more all over my scalp, neck & some times down my chin line. My derma has referred me to an infectionous disease Dr, but it's going to take months to get in with them. In the meantime, she wants to biopsy the boils & see what is going on. What could be causing this & what would she be looking for on a biopsy?
How are you? I'm sorry to hear what you have been through for the last few months. What other symptoms are present? Do you have personal history of diabetes and other conditions?  Aside from recurrent folliculitis, MRSA boils should also be ruled out especially if  you had several rounds of antibiotic  for the last 6 months. Additional diagnostic tests like biopsy may indeed help determine the underlying cause. Take care and do keep us posted.