Infectious Diseases Community
Repeat HCV anti body test
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Repeat HCV anti body test

Recently as part of a STD screen, I got a Hep c test.  The antibody test came back positive.  I then went to the doctor and RNA test was negative.  I had a repeat test of the antibody screening test and that was negative.  Does this mean I am free and clear?  I know I don't have active hep c but does that mean it was a false positive?  And that I was never exposed in the first place?  This had been a total nightmare of a week.  Thank you for any information you can give me.
Hi,
How are you? What symptoms are present? Definite diagnosis of hepatitis C include EIA assay to detect hepatitis C antibody, Hepatitis C RNA assays to measure virus levels (viral load), and genetic testing to check for the hepatitis C genotype. Blood tests such as Liver function tests, albumin and prothrombin time  may also be done.  If the repeat test and RNA test were negative, the chance of getting a false positive result in the initial test is possible. However, it is best that you discuss the results with your doctor for proper evaluation. Correlation with your symptoms, exposure and medical history is also considered. Take care and do keep us posted.  
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Infectious Diseases Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank