Infectious Diseases Community
Schistosomiasis IN SEATTLE [yes]

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

Schistosomiasis IN SEATTLE [yes]

11365267?1413650325
I'm in Seattle.

...where I have contracted Bilharzia.  HERE.  [Yes, I know it's not suppose to happen that way, but, a few encounters with a few freshwater aquarium snails, and... ]

The doctors still don't believe me, but at least they've taken samples.

Now I wait -- for them to recognize the parasite -- and to prescribe the Praziquantel I need.
Tags: bilharzia, schistosomiasis, snail fever, praziquantel, praziquantel (bulk), katayama fever, blood flukes
I found your post. As I mentioned on the other post I'm looking forward to seeing your results. The snails that are the intermediate hosts for Schistosomiasis are specific. Do  you know if these snails that are in the fresh water tank that you were exposed to are of the right type? These are Biomphalaria sp., Bulinus sp. and Oncomelania sp. Other fresh water snails won't be the host for this pathogen. It is not usually found in the U.S. but like I mentioned it is possible that the snails were brought here from Asia or one the countries that normally have this disease. If so though the water temperature would also have to be correct. Do you have symptoms yet? The photo you showed is somewhat like a Schistosoma but there are no internal structures. So it is hard to tell. It would be good to see a specimen stool or blood that had the eggs to identify. Anyway, we'll wait for your results.
mkh9