Infectious Diseases Community
Should I get vaccination?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

Should I get vaccination?

Dear Dr:I'm someone from China,where HBV is widely spread. I made tests in June,2012 and Jan.2014,showing that the antiHBs was 472.2 and  372.1 IU/L.Should I do the same test recently?And when  should I get vaccination about HBV.
Thank you!
I am a microbiologist not a doctor. But generally when you first get the vaccine you get the first 3 vaccinations over a period of time. After that you get the booster after 10 years. You can get tested, like you did, any time to see if your antibodies are high enough. I don't have your reference ranges for want is considered "immune" by your units. But generally
higher than 12mlU is protective. If you can get your reference range from the laboratory or doctor you should be able to find out if that level is protective. If it is below the range I would get the booster.
mkh9
Thanks . The reference range is 10 IU/L.And the result of the latest test I got is 372.1,which means positive.I am wondering whether I should I take a test again? I don't konw how often should I test the antiHBS.
Thank you!  
Well, as a standard rule the booster is given every ten years. How long ago did you get the booster or vaccine? Your values are still quite high if the value is 372 IU/L and the range is > 10 IU/L to be immune. If that is true you would be immune for quite a while.
mkh9
I got vaccine when I was born,it almost about 21 years ago,and I never get it again.The two latest tests I have taken was June,2012 and Jan,2014,and the antibodies were 472 and 372 IU/l  Some doctors say situation like me should take a test once a year to check whether it is still positive,but others say three or five years a time is enough.Now I am confused.Could you give me some advice?Thanks.
Well, since your antibodies are still higher than the immune range you are immune. If you feel uncomfortable you could get a booster. With the immune system as you get older it will go down faster because you will have less immunity (after 50 or 60). But at your age you should have a good immune system. Since you are so much higher above the immune level you could go for several years and it shouldn't change unless you have a health problem. But if you feel uncomfortable waiting it is up to you. No one is stopping you from getting it annually. I have always had a once every 10 year booster and was tested for immunity then. So, every 5 years at your age would be okay.
mkh9
Thank you very much!