Infectious Diseases Community
Suffering from chicken pox ( varicella)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

Suffering from chicken pox ( varicella)

Hi there. Im in urgent need for answers. As i am already sick.
I am 26, and currently suffering from chicken pox (varicella).this is my first time, i did not have chicken pox as a child. I have been sick ( fever, intense throat pain,body ache) since 5 days now. The blisters have shown since 3 days now. I have 2 questions:

A- at first i thought that fever, throat aches etc are due to the viral infection( which i usually suffer every 2 months) only when the blisters started to show i came to know that i have chicken pox. So since 5 days i was taking antibiotic for throat infection( amoxicillin) and ibruphen for pain . The fever has gotten better ( though mild body ache comes back as the med wears off off) but my throat pain has not become better not even slightly better. Even the medicine wont make it go for a few hours. Its seems as of the medicine is not working at all for throat ache. Is it normal in chicken pox? What should i do?

B- 2 of my blisters ( one at on forehead and one at the side of my nose) has become very swollen, hard, flaky, and discharging yellow pus which had dried now makin the blisters a hard yellow flake. And only these two r paining while others only itch and are in red colour. Should i seek medical help for this or is it normal? I did scratch these two a little bit ( as i dis now at first that these are chicken pox blisers because these were the first to appear on face and they kinda has blood on it) i thought its normal pimples.

Amoxicillin, ibruphen, and piriton one at bed time. These are the medications im taking rite now. Piriton started 3 days back when i came to know i have chicken pox.

Please answer me. This is urgent.. Thank u
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Chicken pox presents with  blisters and viral symptoms such as fever, body ache, nausea, loss of appetite, and sore throat. While sore throat can be caused by bacteria, it can also be due to viral infection which do not require antibiotic treatment. Viral infections, such as chicken pox, usually resolve after a few days. The vesicular skin rash may be observed and in one time, various stages of healing may occur. Scratching of the skin lesions should be avoided to prevent secondary bacterial infection.  Antiviral medicines, topical and oral medicines to help with the pruritus may help. And for sore throat, medicated gargle and lozenges as well as oral pain medicines may provide relief. If there is no relief with your present medicines, you may benefit from direct clinical examiantion of your doctor. Diagnosis of chicken pox must be confirmed and if this is the case, antibiotics like amoxicillin should be discontinued. Take care and do keep us posted.