Infectious Diseases Community
Unkown virus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

Viewing 201-335 comments:
We just have to hope that something symptomatic presents that does not kill us.  

People with Lyme's can live with that for decades.  

I'm praying for something like that for us lot.
I'm also hoping that when it does kill me I'm still able to fake being well up to the point it kills me so no one will ever know I killed myself by mistake.  

Great having to hide from my partner I'm seriously ill because of something I did.  Another reason why I pray I can fake being well until I drop dead.

People who OD die a quick death, this slow death mess of a life is no life at all.
Creation-  First off, I believe there is a depression forum on this site; please go over there and talk to someone.  No one here is doubting that your symptoms are real, we believe you.  But from your posts, it's clear that you need to talk to someone who can help you professionally.  If there is no depression/anxiety forum here, please go to another site and speak with someone.  I'm just trying to look out for you man.

I can't remember if you already posted this or not since there are so many posts here, and so many sufferers to keep track of all the time, but you said that you want to hide this from your partner, correct?  Does your partner have any symptoms right now?  If so, what are they?
Hey Gents,

Saw the consultant urologist, got the prostrate checked, got bladder checked to see if its emptying properly, got epidemiologist checked physically. Finger up the bum again prostrate check.
Went through everything that happened and he smiled (grrrrr).
He told me the only thing to be concerned about was a small bit of flank pain, which he puts down to me drinking more nowadays. I had Kidney stones when a youth and it was in this left Kidney so i'm going to get some scans etc.

My symptoms have mostly gone but here they are:

- Dry sore eyes (very minimal) Not really noticeable unless i stare at screens all day
- Coated tongue (better but still there)
- Cold extremities (hands / feet but have always had this)
- Tingling of testis (very minimal again, probably due to what was an infection of some sort long gone)
-  Itchiness all gone now (sweeeeeet)

I've now had every professional tell me they see this everyday in people and its very common. They all think its my head telling my body to display these symptoms. Placebo effect.

They might be right as the power of the mind is crazy but I just don't buy that.

Gonna get my kidney checked and then that's probably the end of the road for me.

I'm not be bothered by any of these really remote symptoms that seem to be getting better and better over time.

Pelvic Floor Dysfunction is the best shout from Matt238 (thanks)

Whatever it was has long gone either killed by antibiotics or my immune system and now my body will either be like this forever or settle down. Either way I think I'm going to give it another  year and see where I am.

NO one on this thread has died yet I'm sure, so creation you need counselling bro.

I also think we all have different things which doesn't help anyone diagnosing.

I'll be back boys, but not for a while as for the last few weeks I've forgotton about it and its really really helped.

Peace Out .............

Good day all, saw this thread and figured I'd join in. I also have ongoing symptoms that I am dealing with daily after a low risk episode with s stripper back in early Feb. You can see my original post here: http://www.medhelp.org/posts/HIV---Prevention/Feeling-Hopless/show/2164093#post_10522289

Tested negative for HIV at 7 weeks, 12 weeks and 16 weks. Tested negative for the standard STD's at 7 weeks. My ongoing daily symptoms are:

- White lines on side of tongue
- Feeling extremely tired
- Lost 25 pounds that I haven't gained back, mostly muscle mass
- Have reddish round patches that appeared on skin
- Pain in lower abdomen/stomach
- Night sweats
- Daily on/off chilss
- Chronic discomfort in throat
- Fungus on both large toe nails, cover about a quarter of the nail.

My PCP thinks its all in my head and I'm trying to make him understand how can some of these symptoms...i.e...fungus on toe nails...be stress related? Having difficulty having him refer me  to an ID specialist.

Id like to redo another round of STD test and add HTLV 1-2 and HPV-16. I could of also caught some type of bacteria or fungus like candidiasis but not sure if there's a test for that. Would appreciate any suggestions.
Hey, Rocko.

Welcome to the thread.  I read your other thread; trust the doctor (and tests that you've done) when it comes to HIV...you don't have it.

I don't think anyone here has found a definitive answer yet on what's causing their symptoms, and I don't think that everyone here is suffering from the same infection.  Repeat your STD tests if you would like, then leave it at that if they're all negative again...which they will be.

I've been wanting to take an HTLV 1-2 test also.  From my research, it seems like there is a lot of false positive antibody tests when it comes to HTLV.  I would recommend a PCR test instead to test for the actual antigen instead of the antibodies.

Can you describe these reddish round patches on your skin?  Maybe a photo of them if you can?

The only symptom I can match myself with yours is the fungus.  I don't have it on my toes, but around my genital area (scrotum) and anus.  It's slightly red in color (scrotum), it smells like yeast, and itches occasionally.  I had a scrape test and a candida antibody test to confirm this.  However, fluconazole/fungal creams do not get rid of it.  Your symptoms kind of remind me of Hepatitis B, but I'm no doctor.

My symptoms to date:

-Candida in genital area (confirmed by tests)
-white coated tongue (confirmed streptococus overgrowth)....this covers the entire top of my tongue; not the white lines on the side like yours.
-swollen lymph nodes in groin and armpits

These are the major symptoms that still persist.  During the first few weeks of my infection, I had a pain in my meatus that lasted for 10 weeks.  Had a cyscoptomy done, and they found that my prostate was inflamed.  Started on the exact same day when the candida presented itself.  Haven't been back to recheck my prostate after several antibiotics, but I believe I need to.  I also got 2 red, sore spots on my gums; one on the day my other symptoms started, and one 10 weeks after.  None since.  I still have a scar from the second one, but the doctor said it was nothing.  Herpes tests are all negative, including HSV-1.  Every once in a while, I have twitching muscles (mostly in my legs and shoulders), but it's not near as frequent as the beginning stages.

In conclusion, I don't have an answer for what's going on.  We'll just have to keep seeing new doctors and getting different opinions until we find out.  Hopefully, we can be treated for it and be cured.  Until then, please keep us posted on your test results and any symptom changes.

Best wishes.

Man Raven, I really appreciate your feedback and I also believe my symptoms could be Hep B or Candidiasis. I will push for another round of STD to get that out of the way, will try to add HTLV 1-2 and HPV-16...if I can ever get my PCP to refer me to an ID specialist.

My rash on my inner thighs are grouped together, with multiple red small circle spots while the ones on my back, shoulders and arms are more random bigger circle slightly red-pink patches. I will try to post pic of them in next few days.

I will pray that your symptoms go away Raven

Rocko

Raven. also wanted to add hon that for the last 4 months or so, I've tried to eat really well, lots of veggies and salads, daily supplements like oregano oil, chaga tea, olive leaf extract, multi-vitamin, drinking 10 glasses of water a day...doing everything I can to boost my immune system to fight whatever I'm dealing with but to no avail.

Still dealing with daily chronic symptoms: night sweats, extreme fatigue, sore throat, chills, hot head, toe fungus, white lines on side of tongue, rash...

I told my wife about the event and she has been extremely supportive (my only bright spot). She initially also believed that these symptoms were all in my head...or stress related...but once I started having toe fungus and body rash, I think she now realizes this is not just stress related symptoms happening.

OK so I took pics of my rash on my thighs and shoulder area but I'm not the most tekky person out there. I tried to copy/paste or drag the pics from my gmail account and dropped them on my desktop and tried to do the same but haven't figured out how to be able to post them on this thread.
Still here.  Stabbing ear pains no longer with me.  All I seem to be left with is chronic armpit sweating, I also now seem to be developing a permanent lump in my throat.
Creation-

That's good news.  I'm pretty sure a doctor will not be able to diagnose you based solely on the excessive sweating, but how's this lump?  Can you see it?  Maybe you can have a doctor look down your throat, and see what's going on.  I believe there are some other guys here in this thread that have complained about a lump in their throat also.  

Either way, I don't think the chronic sweating and the lump are reasons to believe you're going to die.  Keep going back to your doctors or get other opinions.  Chin up.  Good luck and best wishes.
I'm joining in.  February 1st, 2014 my nightmare started.  I am nearly certain I have contracted HIV.  My 12 tests disagree, though I still suffer physically and of course mentally.  I've taken seven 4th Generation tests, and five 3rd Generation tests and all of them have been conducted by a lab.  The only route I haven't tested with yet has been RNA.  I figure now what's the point for the RNA?  

I can't say the onslaught of what I thought was ARS was typical of what you read about on the internet...  For instance, I had chills but my temperature wasn't raised.  I never once saw my temperature reach over 99.1 yet I also had frequent night sweats.  I noticed my tongue was much more dry and metallic taste/smell.  My tongue appeared more white as well.  I noticed inflammation starting in my feet that moved into my forearms and hands.  Almost felt like a sunburn.  My hands and forearms were initially somewhat red, but that soon faded.  So I had the sunburn feeling in my forearms and hands but no significant redness appearance.  My gut started rumbling quite frequently as well and I initially had nausea just even thinking about food for a couple of days before it went away.  Toward the end of the 3 weeks my lymph nodes in my cervical chain on my neck, my armpits, and my groin had enlarged.  My anxiety was through the roof and I wasn't sleeping much if at all!  The initial symptoms lasted almost 3 weeks before other things started happening.

I started to notice my right hand/forearm was more numb and less sensitive to touch than my other forearm/hand.  Legs and arms went numb or fell asleep more easily than ever before just by simply bending my arms or crossing my legs.  My stools were full on loose or diarrhea with constipation and still are at 155 days, and my stomach gurgles and rumbles 24/7.  My stomach just never stops churning and making noise it seems!  I have constant throat gurgling too!  I am getting frequent twitching throughout my body, my tongue resembles geographic tongue, but I wake in the morning with a heavy white coating over top of it.  My sinuses seem stopped up constantly.  Joint pain especially when I try and run now which has never happened before.  It's bad, almost like I'm bolted together and all my hinges are coming undone.  I have random bouts of dizziness and tiredness now.  I have constantly gotten either a cold sore on my lip, or an ulcer inside my lip for 5 months now!  I've never felt so miserable in my life.  It baffles me what is going on with my body.  I have become obsessed.  I was never obsessed about anything!  Now this is all I think of day and night.  I wouldn't think about it if I just felt fine physically.  But I feel like crap!

The woman was West African.  It was protected vaginal sex.  Except I noticed a sore/abrasion on my shaft exactly in a spot that the condom wouldn't reach and it did penetrate her.  The place I went was dirty.  She was dirty.  And I really hate myself for stooping so darn low.  The abrasion must have happened from her grinding on me before the sex, or her giving my oral sex before vaginal and possibly cutting me with her tooth.  I'll never know how I got it, but I definitely saw it the next morning.  And then 1 week after all the craziness hit me.  I don't think I have the Chinese virus.  I think I have HIV.
hows everyone doing gentS?
Hi bunnyuk,

Some good days and some bad ones for me. Here's an update on my situation:

- I wasn't able to get referred to an ID specialist so that is frustrating. I live in Quebec but my PCP is in Ontario and health insurance doesn't cover ID specialist in another province and there is a waiting list of 14 months in the one location that provides an ID specialist in Quebec. It would be like living in one state and getting care in another state.

As far as my symptoms are concerned, some have either vanished or aren't as bad as before, some others are persistant or new.

- Night sweats: pretty much haven't had them the last few weeks.
- Chronic mild sore throat: Definitely not as bad as it was the first 3-4 months. Now it's more mucus issues.
- Chills/ sweats: pretty much gone also.The odd day, i'll get a reminder here and there.  
- My digestive issues or severe abdomen pain have pretty much disapeared. I still however have a lot of gas issues.
- Odd headache but certainly not as bad as they were.

As far as the new symptoms or the ones that persists:

- About 2 months ago, I've had this tight feeling appear in my muscles in the neck/throat area. Hard to say if my neck/throat is swollen or enlarge but it is annoying, especially when trying to sleep and I keep having the urge to try to massage that area.
- Still have the frequent need to urinate
- White lines on right side of tongue, slight white coating persists.
- Tiredness is still present.
- Rash on the inside of my thighs and the odd spots on shoulders/back area sre still present.
- Big toe fungus still present.
- I have gained back alot of my weight lost but muscle mass is not back.

I had cut down my alcohol consumption big time initially but had a few nights last few months were I went out drinking and noticed that I couldn't handle more than 5-6 drinks and felt like a shitbag the next day.

I had tested for HIV:

7 weeks: ELISSA NEG
12 weeks: Rapid test NEG
16 weeks: Rapid test NEG

Tested for the common STD's at 7 weeks : all NEG

I went back for another round of test at 21 weeks(5 months) on Monday and should get the results in a few weeks. My PCP is on vacation till August and hopping to be able to get a solution to be referred to an ID specialist to pursue other avenues ( assuming that my latest tests comes back NEG) like the following:
-HPV-16
-EBV
-HTLV 1-2
-Candidiasis
-CPPS
-Trichomoniasis
-Fungitell Test
-Parasites
-Granuloma
-Pelvic Floor Dyfunction
- Helicobacter Pylory
-Prostatis

May seem like a lot but I wanna leave no doubt that I've tried everything to understand what the hell I caught from that stripper and see if hopefully it's something that can be threated or will eventually leave on it's own.

To Raven:  I called you hon it one of my post cause I thought I had seen your profile identifying you as female...I apologise for that.

To all on this thread, keep your comments coming. In my perspective anyways, it's help me understand that I am not alone out there suffering with similar issues and I have been able to pick up a few possibilities of my symptoms issues based on your postings.

Like Raven has mentioned, all of us posting here had pretty much a low risk exposure and we are all males...Prostate related issues?

Will keep you posted and God bless you all,

Rocko
Hey, Rocko.  I'm still here.  For the most part, it sounds like you're feeling better.  Hope it continues to go that way.  

There's a guy named Vince_82_82_82 here (not sure if he's posted in this thread or not) that has very similar symptoms as you (and me), including the persistent fungal infection on the feet.  He's a good guy.  Look him up if you want to compare notes with him.

Was it you or your doctor who suggested the candida and Fungitell tests?  I've had both.  The candida antibody test came back positive, but the Fungitell test was negative.  It's a test that checks to see if a fungal infection is present in the bloodstream (you may have already known that).  Are they using a PSA to test for your prostate?  Please let us know what your test results are when you get them back.

And no worries on the 'hon' lol.  I noticed it, but thought it was just a typo haha.  All the best to you.
Nice to hear from you Raven

- Vince sent me a private message. We have been exchanging messages and you're right, he is a good guy. Wish him all the best.

- My PCP doesn't know much about infectious diseases. It was on one of your postings that I thought of candida and fungitell tests Doen't know how and when I will get to do those tests. One thing for sure, I will wait to get the results of my latest tests done last week before doing anything else.

- Same thing for prostate. I have no clue what type of test and who will do it. This is just another thing I will bring up to my PCP when he gets back from vacation and I go see him. I'm still in the dark about seeing an ID specialist so who knows when i'll be able to get those testes done.

But again, for me, first things first. Let's find out what my results will be from my latest tests.

Hope things are better on your side.

To all, there's 2 sites that i found talking about candida symptoms. Now take this info with a grain of salt. This might just be a money grabber. I myself have not tried this yet but I plan to if my latest tests results come back negative as expected.

http://www.****.com/candidasymptoms.htm

or

http://www.****.net/
This is to everyone. Not to barge in on this men"s conversation. But have you guys tried Lamisil cream for your feet? That is one thing. Also, there is a test other than the Fungitell test but it is used for genital type testing and isn't FDA approved but some of the labs in Europe use it. I would have to ask if the have it here in the U.S. I mean usually fungal infections of the hair skin and nails are Dermatophytes and can be cultured if needed including the yeast as well. Some strains of yeast are resistant to treatment. You can have a test done to see if it is one of those strains. If it is the doc can give you another type of anti fungal/yeast treatment. If you did have a fungus or yeast in the blood stream you would have a high fever and be very very sick and need urgent medical care. Then the prostate issue have you thought of prostatitis? A urologist would be better at that than a GP. If there is flu like symptoms or pain it could be bacterial and long term (4-6 weeks) of antibiotics may be needed to clear it up. Although if not bacterial they may have some other ways to help with this. Any other questions? Hope this helps.
mkh9

Hi mkh9, you are not barging in on a men's conversation. It just happens that on this topic, the people suffering similar symptoms after a similar exposure are men.

Your input and advice is most welcomed! Thanks!

Rocko
Well, I was sort of kidding. But I do want to help. If you have any questions let me know.
mkh9
I'm still alive.  I have still have chronic armpit sweating and that is about it for my symptoms.  Not a good situation to be in at all.  Waiting for something bad to happen that may or may not give a clue as to what I caught from some frigging lube!
Thanks for the info, mkh9.  I've personally tried Lamisil, along with some other gels for my fungal infection, as well as Fluconazole tablets for months.  None of them seem to clear up my infection.

You mentioned that there are some strains of yeast that are resistant to standard treatment...mine was cultured as candida albicans, but do you know if there are different strains of candida albicans; some that are resistant to treatment?  Or are you talking about a totally different type of yeast, not related to candida albicans?

I kind of figured my Fungitell test would come back negative since it specifically tests for fungus in the bloodstream, and I know one would be very ill if this were the case, which I am not.

I have seen a urologist about my prostatitis.  They found that my prostate was inflamed (this was a couple years ago), so they prescribed me antibiotics for 3 weeks, but I never had my prostate checked again to see if it was still inflamed.  At the time my prostate was inflamed, it was when I started having the symptoms of the pain in my meatus on penis and the itchy anus/genitals.  Do you think it could be a fungal infection of the prostate, rather than bacterial?  And if so, do you think since it is stemming from my prostate, that that's the reason my treatment plans for the fungal infection have failed so far?

And, like Rocko said, you're not barging in.  All information is welcomed.  Thanks!
Well, first I was referring to different types of Candida (non albicans strains) that can be resistant. However, Candida albicans is often resistant to Fluconazole the oral med you took. It can be resistant to any of the antibiotics ending in Azole. It a particular class of antibiotics. It sometimes is sensitive and sometimes not. If they don't do antibiotic sensitivity testing (which they don't normally do) they won't know. It isn't standard testing. As for Terbinifine topical most strains of C. albicans are sensitive to it. However, I wonder if you didn't have a mixed infection with something else. If not it could be that this strain was only intermediately or partially sensitive to the drug. Although "athletes foot" is easy to pickup if you don't clear the source of the contamination such as the shower or shoes, sock, the gym floor, or where ever it is coming from. You could clear it up and go step on a floor where the yeast is and get it right back. So, hard to say on that. As for the prostate if you took oral fluconazole for that I bet it was resistant to that and you didn't get cleared of it. They do have oral Terbinafine (which I have taken too for other fungi) and it may actually help more. But all these anti-fungals are very hard on the liver so no drinking alcohol while you are on them. Also, If you didn't wash your hands after applying the anti-fungal to your feet or didn't wash them well enough or touched a surface that had the yeast on it and say went to the bathroom or whatever and touched your penis you may have gotten it on there. I would just use warm soapy water to wash nothing harsh.  Did your doctor say anything about applying a topical to the meatus area? I doubt that they would. Instead I bet that it is irritated. So, if you still have prostatitis it may not have cleared up if you took fluconiazole. Let me know what you used?
mkh9
Also, the itcy anal/genitals could be a yeast/fungal infection too. Don' t know if it came from the prostate or the foot infection. Do you still have the itching? Do you have a rash or what does it look like? Jock itch is a fungus (usually what they call Tinea cruris or a dermatophyte) so things in that area generally are. So, I wonder also if you don't have two things. Maybe they missed one.  But since you had a yeast then it may be only a yeast. It makes me wonder if you don't have low immunity. I don't have your original post. But how is your HIV status and your CD4 count? I'm not saying I think you have HIV (everyone is so touchy when you mention it), I'm just wondering if  there is any reason that you know of for the yeast infection to be on your tongue too? Did they confirm the oral yeast? Did you take a lot of antibiotics before this? taking a few antibiotics can wipe out your normal bacteria  and give you a yeast infection. In which case I would take a probiotic. This is a different subject but if it applies we can talk about it later. I see from a past post on this list that you did try fluconazole was that cream/ointment in addition to the pills? So it sounds like the yeast was resistant to the Fluconazole. So if you still have this you would need a different med. I'm not sure if you can use topical Terbinifine on the anal area. Sorry sometimes I write and think at the same time. I hope this didn't get confusing. LOL.
mkh9

Hi mkh9,

As far as your HIV concern, if I'm not mistaking, we all have had multiple negative results well past 3 month timeframe. I think I'm most likely the closest one with my last negative test done at 16 weeks post exposure.

Also, most if not all have had low or no risk exposure, either protected sex or unprotected oral.

And yes, there are a few on this post that are extremely concerned and convinced, no matter how many negative results they have had, that they have contracted HIV.
Disregard my last comment...thought it was a general question to all but reread and saw that it was a specific question to raven. My bad
No problem It was good summary!
mkh9
Thanks for commenting back, mkh9.  First off, HIV status=negative.  CD4 count=1,500+.  Immunoglobulin test=normal.  So, as far as low immunity goes, I'm pretty sure it's not that.  I also still hardly ever get sick, even when those around me are.

The only oral that I took for my candida infection was Fluconazole that I remember, along with 2-3 different types of topicals (Lamisil was one of them).  None of them eliminated the candida.  So, do you think that it's possible that it was, in fact, the candida that caused my prostatitis rather than a bacteria?  Keep in mind that I started having anal/genital itching and the pain in my meatus the exact same day as each other.  I'm going to look into Terbinafine.

I think there is some confusion about my tongue/mouth symptoms.  I do not have yeast in my mouth.  Instead, they cultured a swab test from my toungue, and it came back as streptococus.  Now, I realize that candida and streptocucus both live in 'normal' ranges in our gut flora but, for some reason, they are not being kept in check and are overgrowing.  So, I'm thinking it's a candida infection of the prostate that this is all stemming from, or something else altogether that's causing my gut flora to overgrow.

The only prostatitis symptom I still have is that usually when I finish up urinating, I still have urine that will come out in small amounts when I try to force it out.  It only comes out in small streams when I do this, but then I'll push again (flex my bladder), and more will come out.  I no longer have the pain in my meatus; that only lasted about 10 weeks in the beginning.

Note:  I do not have a foot infection; only in the genital/anal area.  However, I also believe that it is in my intestines because my stools have changed since this all started, and if I don't take my OTC meds (oil of oregano, molbdenum), I lose my appetite and get more easily constipated (I'm always a bit constipated, but it gets worse if I don't take these supplements).  I also take a probiotic every day for the last 2 years.  The only visible sign of my candida infection was on my scrotum.  It turned a bright red.  But it went almost completely away while I was on Fluconazole, and now the OTC supplements are keeping it from being visible.  It still ithces occasionally though.  If it weren't for the itching, there would actually be no noticeable symptoms, but I know it's still there due to my scrape test and candida anitbody test, as well as the fact that it comes back if I discontinue my OTC supps.

I just re-read both your comments, and I believe I answered all the questions.  Please let me know if I missed anything.  Again, I really appreciate your input.  Do you get your knowledge from the internet, or are you in the medical field?
Firstly, I'm not a doctor but I'm a clinical and research microbiologist. Right now I'm not working due to several injuries. It would take me a while to go into my problems so I won't bother you with that now. But, I do read on the internet too to find things that I need to reference but I also have 20 years experience. So it is a combo of knowledge. My background doesn't involve that much dealing with "'patients" since we work mostly in the lab but our knowledge does include patient histories as part of our training just like doctors have to do. So I don't know everything (who does) and I do know alot about the bacteria, fungi yeast, parasites, viruses and how they are transmitted, act in and on the body, their treatment, for humans, their biochemistry , toxins, molecular, and serology tests and the physiology etc.  I am a bit confused about what you just said so I have to take it apart a bit. So what symptoms do you have now? Just the yeast or itching in the genital/anal area? Forgetting the past. I don't think you have an over abundance of normal bacterial flora in your intestines or throat or anywhere rather there is a pathogen causing you trouble. It sounds like a yeast since you have tested positive for it. I normally would think a dermatophyte which is a fungus that infects hair skin and nails. It is hard since there were so many posts on here to go back and try to make sense of what went on with you so best to go forward. Since your OTC meds are keeping the infection at bay because when you go off of them it comes back then these are "baceteriostatic" or they are not killing it off but keeping it from growing. So it is there but not getting worse or growing. I'm really surprised that your immune system is so good yet you have a yeast infection. But it is not impossible. My other question was were you on a number of antibiotics as this can knock out your normal intestinal bacteria and then yeast can take over in there or elsewhere. But on the skin it shouldn't really matter. Yes I thought you said in one of your earlier posts that you had oral yeast. I guess you were replying to someone and that got mixed up. So you never had oral thrush. I thought you said you were treated with Fluconazole for the prostatitis? Did the doctor not treat you for the prostatitis at all and was just giving you the fluconazole for the yeast on the genital and anal areas or why did he give you Fluconazole tablets? I'm trying to clear up what is going on. I don't know for sure that the yeast is causing your prostatitis it could be bacterial still or just inflammation. Did you have a urine culture done? Does it hurt when you urinate or just have trouble getting it all out? Is that unusual for you? That is normal for older people. What kind of strep did they find on your tongue? Was it group A strep or beta strep something that was treatable or normal oral bacteria? Why are you taking the probiotic was it because you were taking Fluconazole? I don't think you need to take the probiotic any more unless you go back on another antibiotic or oral antifungal. You may be disrupting your normal flora with too much of the types of bacteria in the probiotic. A few months of these are fine. I mean if you are just eating yogurt that is a small amount but the real probiotics can really change your normal gut flora.  You may want to try to eat more whole grains and fruits and veg. Much less meat to help with the constipation. I think we are both on the same page now. It does sound like the external infection is a yeast since they found it in the lab. I'm not convinced that the fluconizole has totally cleared you of it and the candida may be low level resistant to it. So, you may need a different topical or different treatment to get rid of it.
hope this helps.
mkh9
Yes, I realize that since this thread has over 200 posts now, it's very difficult and time consuming to go back and try to find information.  We're pretty close to being on the same page, but let me answer your questions in case there is still some cunfusion.  I think it would be easier if I listed all of my current symptoms to you:

1.  Candida infection of the genital/anal area; and possibly intestines although not confirmed (this was diagnosed via scrape culture of scrotum and candida antibody test).

2.  Streptococcal overgrowth on tongue and roof of mouth (diagnosed via swab culture)

3.  Constipation; loose, flaky stools without diarrhea; occasional small white specks in stool; stools are lighter in color than they were before infection; occasional small amounts of blood in stool, light red in color (stool sample came back normal, although I'm not familiar with stool tests and do not know exactly what they test for)

4.  Swollen, tender lymph nodes in groin and armpits

5. Excessive armpit sweating

6.  Ringing in ears (mostly left ear) that comes and goes

Now, let me answer your questions.  I was on a couple rounds of antibiotics in the beginning, although it's been almost 2 years since I have taken an antibiotic, and I took a probiotic along with them.  I should add that the candida overgrowth started BEFORE taking any antibiotics.  I was not treated with Fluconazole due to the prostatitis; the Fluconazole was prescribed due to the candida infection on my scrotum that would not go away.  I was prescribed a different antibiotic for my prostatits, although I do not remember the name of the prescription.  I had 2 different urine cultures done; both which came back negative for any bacterial infection.  The first culture came back positive for yeast, but the second one did not.  It does not hurt to urinate; it only seems to take a bit of extra pressure to get the last bit of urine out.  Note I am 30 years old.  I cannot remember what type of Streptococcus was found on my tongue.  I just remember the doctor saying it is a normal bacteria found in the body, but there was an overgrowth of it.  Which type of Strep would that be?  I'm taking the probiotic to help keep my normal flora in check (just from what I read on the internet), but if you think maybe I should stop taking it for a while, I can stop and see if there are any changes.  As far as my diet, I eat very healthy.  I eat whole grains in the form of oats, and all of my carbs are complex; not simple sugars.

I believe I answered all the questions and, hopefully, we are on the same page now.  There is some conflicting theories online about whether or not candida can cause generalized swollen lymph nodes.  What do you think?  And keep in mind that it was not only candida that was detected, but streptococcus too; both of which are normal gut flora as long as they're in normal ranges.  Is there anything you would suggest I do?  What doctor to see?  I'm looking for a way forward, but I don't know which way to go.

Thanks for all your help.
I just got back from getting my blood drawn and have to eat lunch. I read your message and want to go over some things. I'll write back shortly.
mkh9
I'm not sure how much help I can be but I will tell you some things that I think regarding your last post.

1. Candida albicans infection. Is chronic and confirmed by culture and antibody test. I think to get rid of it you may have to take a oral (not azole) antifungal. So, no fluconazole. I think it is possibly resistant to the fluconazole. What is causing the chronic C. albicans I don't know.  One thing I think you should do if you haven't yet is get tested for diabetes and get your thyroid check (TSH) because if you have diabetes you would have lowered immunity and also have excessive sweating under the arm pits. The focal sweating under the arms could just be stress or could be also genetic that came out now. But the thyroid and diabetes can cause this too.
2. Strep swab culture to tongue and roof of mouth. I guess you don't know what type of streptococcus they found. Since they cultured it it may have been a pathogen (beta strep) instead of normal flora strep or why would they culture it? So, this could be a reason for the swollen lymph nodes not the yeast. That is my thinking on this. But do you still have it? May want to recheck this or how does your mouth and throat feel and look now? The ringing in the ear(s) could be normal  or it could be a sign of an ear infection stemming from the strep from the throat. Do you feel any ear pressure or pain down the side of the neck from the ear or stabbing pain or anything like that? Any nasal congestion? You could get the ear pressure checked by a doctor. If it was normal strep and just an overgrowth of normal oral flora strep I don't feel they should have treated you for that. So, I don't know.  This is strange to me. FYI Dr. Bhupinder Kaur on Medhelp answered someones question that had yeast on the genitals and had swollen lymph nodes and said any infection can cause swollen lymph nodes. However, I have read generally if it is a skin infection only and not in the blood or else where it shouldn't. That is why I'm thinking there is a bacterial infection going on or other problem.
3.constipation, no diarrhea, white specs in the stool, some possible blood. light colored stool. Firstly, if the red in the stool is not food you need to get the stool checked for occult blood ASAP and/or a colonoscopy.  Blood in the stool even at 30 is something you need to get checked. Also, the white specs can be nothing and common but that with the bleeding if that is what it is could be a slight blockage. Also, do you have hemrroids? They can cause bleeding. The white spec could be parasitic , have you been out of the country or had a lot of fleas around from an animal? I don't think so but just thought I would ask. The gall bladder makes bile that colors the stool a dark color and the white specs may be a sign that something is blocking bile to reach the small intestine or liver is not producing enough bile. So, you may need to see a GI doctor for this.
4.How long have you had the swollen glands in the groin and the arms and how large are the lymph nodes? One of the symptoms of chronic prostatitis is difficulty emptying the bladder, or difficulty starting to urinate or weak urine stream others are pain with urination and smelly urine. But I don't think you have to have them all. It is usually bacterial and requires long term antibiotics such as 4-6 weeks or more.

Do you have a good family practice doctor? They could do the occult blood fecal test. But, it is not that accurate only about 50%. So, that is why I'm thinking you may want to see a GI doc if you really have blood in the stool.
Then for the yeast and strep problem. A family practice doc can check the ear pressure and the tongue, oral cavity for strep again. Also, can give you a different anti-fungal for the yeast. But then coordinate with the urologist on the prostatitis. It is a lot. I am just giving suggestions. You really need some testing again. I'm sure you are quite tired of it all.
I don't think you need the probiotic until you are back on antibiotics too.

One other question is have you had a complete blood count done? If so was everything normal? You may want to get another one done to see if you were bleeding if your hemoglobin was low. Also, if you had a bacterial infection your white cells would be up above the normal range. Any abnormal cells seen would be reported too that would rule out any other odd thing going on.
hope this helps,
mkh9
What is this unknown virus call? Any updates from china?
Thanks, mkh9.

I've already had a diabetes test, which was negative.  I know that all of my symptoms are due to my exposure, and since you can't 'spread' diabetes, I knew it would come back negative anyway.  I can get my thyroid checked out, but, like I said, I'm convinced that this is not a self-acquired condition.  I will look into it though.  

I still have the white-coated tongue (streptoccus).  No, I don't know what type it is; I just know the doctor said it is a normal bacterial flora found in the body.

I've also read, like you, that candida infections of the skin only will generally not cause swollen lymph nodes.  But if I had a candida/streptococcus overgrowth in my gut (throughout my digestive tract), do you think it could cause swollen lymph nodes then?

I've already had a stool sample test.  It came back negative.  I don't know how comprehensive the stool test was, but they did tell me that they checked for blood as well.  This really only happens about once a month, if that, and it's usually only a very small amount on the toilet paper that I notice.  Yes, I do occasionally have hemheroids, espeically once I started getting constipated, so I usually just chalk it up to that.  My tests were done through a GI doctor, and she had nothing to say about the light colored stool or the white specs when I mentioned them.

I've had the swollen lymph nodes for about 2 years now.  None of them are so large that they are visible to the naked eye, but the ones in the groin are very pronounced if I feel them.  The ones in the armpit I can feel if I lay a certain way, but I have to really feel for them to feel the bump.  I've had the typical response from experts around here that "If you start feeling around for lymph nodes that you haven't felt around for before, you're sure to feel them since you're looking for them".  Well, I may have never felt for them before, but I know for a fact that they are not what they used to be before I had my exposure.  The ones in the groin differ in size, but the largest ones are probably almost a centimeter across the longest point (bean shaped).  They are mobile and tender.  Do you think that chronic prostatitis could cause the swollen lymph nodes?  And does it neccessarily have to be a bacterial pathogen, or could it be a fungal infection of the prostate?

I've had a few CBC tests done over the past 2 years.  My latest one was probably around this January.  I don't understand everything they test for and what all the numbers mean, but they told me everything was normal.

Again, I appreciate all the help/suggestions.
Yan77,

I believe the title of this thread is a bit misleading.  No one knows if it is, in fact, a virus, and a lot of people here have different symptoms, so not everyone could be suffering from the same pathogen.  I know it's a long read, but when you have the time, read through this thread in its entirety.

As far as the "HIV-like virus in China", which I assume you're referring to, I've read all the literature I could find on it online, and I don't believe that I, for one, am dealing with this pathogen, given my symptoms.
Glad that the GI doc already knows about the white specs and condition of the stool. I still worry about the blood. Keep and eye on that. I knew a 40 year old guy that was an athlete and scientist and he had some little blood in his stool and they said it was just hemrroids and he turned having colon cancer grade III. So ever since then I am very cautious of someone having a couple of drops of blood in the stool. It is scary. I have a family history of colon cancer too. I go in every 5 years and get a colonoscopy. So far I have been negative. So, it worries me more than some people to hear of any blood in the stool.
Glad you tested for diabetes. The TSH was just for the sweating. It may be stress or genetic.
I also suddenly developed a white coated tongue last year. It is frustrating. The doctor told me too it is normal flora and so I just scrape it off several times a day. You don't need meds for this. Mine started after taking a certain medication and I stopped it but the growth never went away.
Try not to be so convinced your problem is 100% due to your exposure. It may be or it may be coincidence. Perhaps it is. Either way it is there and you want to be rid of it.
At this point I don't know what is causing your swollen lymph nodes. It is an infection somewhere. Since you have had problems with the prostate and the most prominent glands are in the groin area it may be there. I still think it may be bacterial not yeast but if you had the yeast in prostate it is possible to be the cause of the swollen lymph nodes but is it likely you have a yeast infection up there maybe. Since you have it in the anal area it is possible. I can't rule that out at this point. Have you ever had a  brown rash  or brownish red on your hands and/or feet? Muscle aches or fatigue, fever? Earlier in this infection? Just asking.  The swollen lymph nodes under the arms are less of a problem since they are small. The ones that are more active are the ones in the groin area. I think chronic protatitis could cause the swollen lymph nodes if you had an infection that needs treatment. But perhaps we are missing something.
mkh9
I've had a exposure unprotected sex 4 years ago, in which I had the worst pain in the tip of my penis during ejaculation...few weeks later I developed huge swollen nodes in inner thigh on left side which are still there....I've tested out to 4 years, everything negative...if anybody have any input, plz let me no!
Would you list the tests you had? Include if you had any CD4 tests, complete blood count which STD tests specifically? Did you ever have a rash on your palms or fatigue, weight loss, sores in mouth, sore throat, headaches, neurological symptoms,  or any other symptoms? Other than swollen lymph nodes do you have any other symptoms now? Do you have diabetes? Any leg infection? Anything else going on? Any fever in the past or now? I don't have the full list to see your past. This list only goes from May 23,2014 to the present.
thanks,
mkh9
I've been tested for all the common stds including hiv and had a cbc, everything normal..no rashes, no fever, no weight lost.....still have the swollen nodes in groin that are very painful and bout the size of a quarter.....never had a cd4 or 8 count.... life has become miserable!
mkh9,

Unlike your white-coated tongue, mine cannot be scaped off.  It's at its worst in the morning, and gets better throughout the day.  

I believe my next step will be to go back to a urologist.  If not, possibly a lymph node biopsy to see what's making them inflamed.  I never had a fever at any point in the infection.  No muscle aches (knee joint pain, yes; muscle pain, no).  And no real fatigue.  At first, I did think I had a reddish rash on my hands (not on feet) a few times.  I noticed it in the gym one time, but I checked out my training partners hands also, and they looked exactly the same.  It must've been due to sweat.  So, no, I can't say that I've definitely had a rash on my hands.

Thanks for all your help, mkh9.  Appreciate it.
mkh9,

I'm curious as to why you asked both bigworrier and myself the same questions about possible symptoms, i.e. rashes on hands/feet, fever, neurological symptoms, weight loss, sores in mouth, sore throat, headache, etc.

One question that I noticed you asked bigworrier is if he had any headaches.  I had a constant headache from week 3-10 after exposure.  Haven't had it since.  I also had 2 'sores' in my mouth, more like little reddish-brown blisters (not canker sores); I showed it to the doctor, but he said it was nothing.  Also tested negative for HSV1 and 2.
Because another person on here had symptoms of Syphilis that I think they didn't catch with the first test (RPR). I think that person could have had secondary Syphilis. Brownish rash on the hands, and feet (not itchy) and fatigue,  fever, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat, headaches, weight loss, muscle aches are signs of secondary syphilis. the RPR test can had 20% false positives depending on a variety of issues. Some are that the test was taken too soon or too late. I suggested the person get the FTA-ABS test to see if they had been exposed in the past at any point if so they would come up positive. That person has all these symptoms except one. So, I was wondering if anyone else had some of these symptoms and may want to test themselves just to check. The FTA ABS tests for antibody to the bacteria that causes syphilis (Fluorescent Treponemal Antibody test) and it never goes away once you have it. The false positives you would get with it are only if you have traveled out of the U.S. to certain countries. The RPR test is done first because it is more sensitive but not specific and the FTA is done usually if the RPR is negative to confirm. But in this case since it is later in the disease then it would better to do the opposite. Check for FTA first.
mkh9
mkh9
Ok, thanks.  If you still keep in contact with the person who has these symptoms, please let us know what his results are.
I should write the person to see if the results came back or not.
His symptoms were identical to secondary Syphillis (syphilis). You guys don't seem to have those symptoms though except for the swollen lymph nodes and headaches. You can try getting tested for the FTA antibodies if you haven't been out of the country. You get some false positives from some countries from other diseases called Pinta and Yaws. These aren't related they are just caused by spirochetes like Syphilis is.
mkh9
I was sitting up last night recounting the antibiotic treatments I've been on since my exposure.  I can't remember the names of any of them, but I remember being put on 3 different antibiotics at different times.

--First time was when I went to the doctor for the first time.  They put me on, I believe, a 7 day course of antibiotics.

--The second time was right around the time I had a cysoptomy (sp?).  They gave me 3 injections (one per day).

--The last one was when I was complaining of the pain in my meatus, and they gave me a 3 week course of antibiotics for prostatitis.

Note that at no point was there any bacterial infection cultured.  My main question is if I do, in fact, have a bacterial infection, shouldn't these antibiotics have gotten rid of it?  And wouldn't my white blood cell count be elevated?
Hi raven123,
regarding a previous post where you said that the white coating on your tongue won't scrape off. Does it bleed when you try? It could be yeast. Also,regarding the question you just asked for the most part yes it would seem that if you had 3 antibiotics you shouldn't have a bacterial infection. It would of course depend on if they got the right antibiotic for the type of bacteria and if it wasn't resistant to whatever antibiotic they used. But since you haven't ever cultured out anything then you probably don't have one especially since WBC is not elevated.  Although with a chronic infection I"m not sure how elevated it would be. Did they do a culture of the prostate area or the cystoscopy? Anyway, yeast wouldn't be affected by the antibiotic anyway as it would be treated by an antifungal and since you had Fluconazole which Candida is often resistant to  it could be that. So we are back to a possible yeast infection. But again if it is external i mentioned that it shouldn't make your lymph nodes swell unless it is internal. So perhaps it is but then it would seem you would be alot more sick. Certainly it is not in the blood stream. Yeast can be normal flora in the intestines to a degree unless they overpopulate or overwhelm the normal gut flora. But I don't think it is a intestinal problem. So, here we are back to square one. I can't think of anything else at this time.
mkh9
My doctors have checked me for everything out to three years and my biggest worry is my next female friend... I don't want to infect nobody else with this, but I don't no what I would tell them about what is wrong with me when I don't no....swollen nodes and penis pain for three years. This is crazy! Somebody, anybody, plz HELP..PLZ....
mkh9,

No, it does not bleed when I try to scrape it off, nor does it hurt.  If you google streptococcus on google images and look at pictures of peoples' tongues, it looks like that (although not as severe as a lot of the photos on there).  

Would it be possible to have a bacterial (or fungal) infection in the prostate rather than the bladder?  And, if so, would it mean that the docs couldn't culture anything from my urine, so they would have to culture my prostate fluid instead?  I'm just brainstorming here.

Regarding what you said about me being a lot more sick if I had an internal fungal infection:  What if the yeast infection is in my prostate (and possibly found its way into my gut causing my strange stools and itchy gential (genital)/anal region), but not in the blood stream?  Do you think I would still be ill if that is the case?  And do you think it could cause my swollen lymph nodes?  I've been thinking about what you said about my groin lymph nodes being more pronounced than my armpit nodes, so that's why I'm thinking the infection is stemming from somewhere in my nether regions (prostate?).

Hi Raven123,
All good questions and tough to answer.
These is one link about bacterial prostatitis and the other is just talking about yeast and the prostate. I have read that yes with a prostate yeast infection you can have swollen groin lymph nodes. Can you have a negative urine culture. I am not sure. Possibly.  The question I have is with all the tests you had did the doctors say you had a prostate infection and or was it enlarged? If so and they didn't do culture yes they can do culture as you describe and that is in the link below (I think) if not yes I did read that they definitely can. It may be uncomfortable for them to collect the fluid but it can be done. So yes yeast or bacteria infection of the prostate could cause the swollen lymph nodes. If it was systemic mean it got into the blood then you would be very very sick. High fever in the hospital. That is what I meant. So, should you get tested. Good question. They have to avoid contaminating the internal area with the external yeast problem. You did say you have had a complete blood count and it was normal right? So that your WBC count was normal. Yes i would think it would be elevated with a bacterial infection. Although, sometimes when things are chronic the body gets used to it and doesn't raise the levels so much. This is my brain storming too. Also, another question: Do you ever have any discharge such as a milky white discharge? or any other kind of discharge or pelvic pain?  I'm also thinking you could have non-gonococcal urethritis. This is caused by a bacteria called Mycoplasma genitalium or Ureaplasma urealyticum. usually although there are some others. These can also cause swollen lymph nodes and are a STI not an STD. Men and women may or may not have symptoms but can have a discharge or pelvic pain, pain on urination etc. If you had sex with your girlfriend and she doesn't know she has it you both could have it.  It can cause problems for her down the line such as Pelvic inflammatory disease. Just a thought. These wouldn't be transmitted with oral sex to my knowledge. There is a PCR or NAAT test for them.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000519.htm

From Urology care Foundation:
"In males an infection that causes swelling and redness of the head of the penis is called balanitis.  It is hard to control and frequently recurs in uncircumcised males.

While yeast infections are relatively harmless, they may invade the body by causing infection of the adrenal, kidney, ureter, bladder, prostate and female genital organs."

mkh9
I have pelvic pain and its worst after urination or ejaculation....my lymph nodes are only on my left inner thigh and as long as I'm not sitting or pushing on them they don't hurt as bad..
You probably should get tested for the M.genitalium and Ureaplasma tests too just in case. They don't do these routinely but will do if they think you have an infection. It is not an STD but is transmitted via sex. So, get a PCR test or what they call a NAAT test (Nucleic acid amplification test). These are right now not FDA approved but they are well tested in the lab for sensitivity and specificity for these bacteria. I worked on these tests  at a biotech myself at one point. They are very common organisms. Fairly easily treated. Not sure this is your particular problem but worth trying.
mkh9
I think I'll try anything at this point.  I'm sure whatever I got my girlfriend has it too...
Well, it isn't anything to worry about if you do have it. It is easily treatable. She wouldn't be mad at this. I mean women get things too like yeast and could maybe transmit that too. So, it would be good if you could find out what it is.
mkh9
try Rosemary tea?
i got the idea from here, hope that helps some :(

http://preventingyeastinfections.com/home-remedies-for-yeast-infections-the-9-best/
Regarding the above post. These are all good except for I don't agree with women using a douche for any reason or any ingredient as they all promote changes in the vaginal pH. The vagina is self washing on the inside. Washing on the outside the only necessary place to wash with warm soap and water. Although, do you have any articles using Rosemary tea  to kill yeast that are proven or scientific? I would like to read them if you have one. So far I only see home remedies which may or may not work.
Otherwise, all are good good sanitary practices.
mkh9
No I never tried the tea.... so you thinking my problem is yeast?
yeah unfortunately no, i just found that article and tried it and it made me feel better.

I dont douche so much, but i do dap the tea on the outside with a cloth and it does make me feel better.
Hi MK,

I'm interested to know what you think of the Placebo effect?
I think it is true and happens on some people. That is why they always run one in clinical trials. If the person doesn't know they are getting meds and think they are, they sometimes do as well as the person on medication.

This is probably because they weren't ill to start with or depending on the problem the mind can help. For example if a person had anxiety and the "pill" was for anxiety and thus the placebo may work if the person just calmed down because they thought they were being treated for it. But it doesn't always work. And, mind over matter won't get rid of cancer or an infection. However, the power of positive thinking can help in boosting the immune system some.
mkh9
hi raven,

Im wondering if anyone figured out what is going on I am dealing with the same symptoms as pretty much everyone else here and of course it was following a risky sexual encounter.

My symptoms are:
-frequent urination
-white tongue
-tingling- originally started around left eye then spread to my entire body then disappeared and now only shows it self when i break out with acne on my face
-Red eyes with mucus in the mornings- eyes are slightly irritated most of the days
-swollen lymph nodes- groin and throat
-mouth ulcers
-fatigue
-night sweats from time to time
-pain in tip of penis on and off
-pain when ejaculating
-I had severly itchy testicles that were dry for about 2 weeks straight and now it just comes and goes
-red raised spots on penis shaft ,no ulcers or pain looks kind of like skin irritation
-I also had one day where my body was unbelievably sensitive to hot and cold it was only one day but enough to scare me.
-Pain below abdomin (abdomen) and above genitals
-pain running down both inner thighs

Testing: negative for all stds hsv1-2  ,HIV, hep abc at 3 months post exposure  
waiting on routine blood test results monday which will tell me basics b12 iron and so on

Exposure: unprotected vaginal sex with a girl I know who I called and said she is clean and I would be the first person she called if anything was ever wrong.

You probably should get tested for the M.genitalium and Ureaplasma tests too just in case. They don't do these routinely but will do if they think you have an infection. It is transmitted via sex. So, get a PCR test or what they call a NAAT test (Nucleic acid amplification test). These are right now not FDA approved but they are well tested in the lab for sensitivity and specificity for these bacteria. They are very common organisms. Fairly easily treated. Not sure this is your particular problem but worth trying. As for the mouth ulcers I think those are viral and unrelated to the rest of your issues. You can try gargling with salt water. They can be genetic too. Have you also been tested for bacterial prostatitis? The white tougue could just be regular mouth flora or it could be yeast. Try using a tongue scraper and see if it hurt bleeds when you gently scrape it. That is a sign of a yeast. If it doesn't hurt when you do this then it is probably just normal mouth flora. Nothing to worry about. The swollen lymph nodes may be related to a bacterial infection or something else. So, far no one has come up with anything and I have talked several of the guys on here. But, if you haven't been tested for these things I mentioned it is good to rule them out. Have you had a regular urine culture done? Do you have burning when you urinate? Have you been tested lately for TB? Since you have night sweats it may be you were exposed but I doubt it. Do you have a fever? That would also explain the night sweats. Sometimes a hormone imbalance can give you night sweats as well. You should have a eye doctor or doctor look at your eyes since you have a discharge in your eyes. You could have a bacterial infection in them. Do they itch or burn or hurt?  These are my thoughts at this time.
mkh9
I have had the exact symptoms minus the pain when ejaculating. My intial were:
- - digestive issues. Severe cramps or abdominal pains, especially after a meal which is usually followed by body chills or hot head or hot flashes.
- Frequent need to urinate, like every 2 hours.
- White lines around tongue edges
- Dry mouth
- On/off headaches
- Feeling tired. I have also had 2 bouts of res dots on penis head appear
- Chills/sweats on/off

Over 6 months after my encounter, now my symptoms are:

- tiredness
- A rash that appeared 5 months ago, random spots on shoulder and inside of thighs. Still there
-  Tongue issues, white lines on side of tongue
- the odd issue with chills
- Odd issue with my throat

What has gone or diminish:

- Dry mouth is gone
-Headaches are gone
-Tiredness aren't as bad
- Chills/sweats aren't as bad
- abdominal/stomach pains are gone

6 months after exposure, feeling better but I know there's still issues
thanks for the reply  I hope I will start to feel the same its the red skin and bumps on my shaft that are bothering me right now they show up for a day or two , dry out and flake off no pain no ulcers. Im terrified its herpes but I tested negative for hsv1/2 at 3 months im going to test again at 4 months and see if maybe there is a difference. This has been the worst experience of my life. Never having unprotected sex again...
kefir milk has special probiotic not found in yogurt  it actually atacks candida and kills it .it attaches to the colon wall and attacsks candida trying to dig its way through.kefir milk can be found in some grcery stores found mine at stop and shop .this is what the romans used to use 3000 years ago and is still safe and effective . it wont cause the problems that antibiotics cause.one for ounce glass will wipe out candida in the gi.
FYI, Kefir does have probiotics but probiotics don't kill candida they out compete it. So there are so many normal bacteria in the kefir that it doesn't allow the candida to take over and cause problems. You can also purchase probiotic pills that have 10 billion live bacteria such as bifidobacteria and lactobacilus sp. if you don't want to eat kefir or yogurt. Yogurt doesn't have that many bacteria so it is actually better to buy the pills. This also works when you take antibiotics and don't want other bacteria to take over.
mkh9
Is there a brand name for these pills or something specific to ask for at a pharmacy
curious about what HIV tests have you done so far. have you had CD4 and CD8 counts as well? if so, what were the results?

still with serious problems in my tongue, totally white and dry everyday. more than 2 years living with this now.
I use Trunature but there are many brands. Others have more various types of bacteria than this one but this is ok.
mkh9
I've had 14 HIV tests.  Seven 4th Generation tests, six 3rd Generation tests, and one HIV-2 Viral load test.  I have had a CD4/CD8 count, my CD4 was 812 cells/uL normal range= 440-1470.  Doc said my immune system looked "perfect" but I'm still not convinced.  That CD4 count was taken around 5 and half months after exposure.  I took a 4th Generation test starting at 17 days and the last test I've taken was at 179 days by a 3rd Generation test.  The ****** thing is HIV has not been the only thing I've tested for.  I've tested for Lyme's disease, parasites, auto-immune disorders, endocrine disorders, vitamin deficiencies, I've had multiple sets of CBCs taken, I'm going to do an EMG to see if I have neuropathy, that's about the last thing I've got left.  My internal medicine doc says we've come to a stand still.  He thinks I have some sort of post viral illness.  I'm still 100% convinced this has got to be HIV.  I know that probably sounds retarded seeing as how I've taken so many tests, but, my lymph nodes have not gone away and they're everywhere, and my "neuropathic like" symptoms haven't gone away neither.  I say "neuropathic like" because I haven't been diagnosed with it yet, but I'll know more after the EMG.  

If the only thing that is bothering you is your tongue...  Then I'd seriously suggest you look at other simpler, less harmful things for the cause....  It's been a couple years since you've had the tongue stuff, and you've tested negative with HIV years afterward giving your body plenty of time to produce an immune response plus any other combination of tests you may have had...  There's no way you have HIV.  I have a really dry mouth/tongue as well, but that's honestly the least concerning symptom I have.
I just stumbled on this group and am very glad I have people going through similar issues with me.
I have tested negative to hiv at 16 weeks after exposure but still have bad muscle aches and inflammation all over my body that deny me sleep. I sleep in bits of 30 minutes and 1 hours. Pain from inflammation wakes me up. This has been on for about 3 months now. Still have sore throats. Occasionally I have little pain and movement in my penis. Guys what do you think is happening?
Have you ever been to a rheumatologist to look for autoimmune diseases?  Also, I wonder if you are allergic to some medicine you are taking or other topical? It can be caused by a virus or infectious agent as well. Do you have muscle weakness or any skin rash? You could have a chronic inflammatory myopathy. It can be diagnosed based on: MRI, checking muscle enzymes, electromyography, muscle biopsy or skin biopsy. Any other symptoms? This is an article that explains the different types of myopathies. Maybe you can see if you have any symptoms of any of the types.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/inflammatory_myopathies/detail_inflammatory_myopathies.htm

mkh9
Thanks mkh9 for your response. I saw signs of rash that had cleared but left some stumps at the back of my thigh about 3 weeks ago. I experienced muscle weakness for about 3 days in August, especially in the mornings originating from my thighs. Apart from the sore throat I do not have any other symptoms. I live in a society where correctness of medical attention is very low. So I have to resort to self help as the doctors I meet are at a loss as to how to help me. This underscores my appreciation of your response. Hoping that you and many others will keep sharing info with me. Will check out the article you referred to now.
Also, if you had unprotected sex did you have all the tests done, such as HIV, Syphilis, etc.? Do you have a fever? Any other symptoms you can think of?
mkh9
Yes I tested negative for syphillis (syphilis), hiv, hep B, tuberculosis . No rise in my temperature. I coughed for about 5 days within 6 weeks of exposure, loose stool and that's it. Tested negative for hiv in the 3rd week, 6 weeks, 12 weeks and 16 weeks.
Tested positive for staph in the second week but was treated. Did a blood culture in the 6th week but not growth was found. Did a urine culture in the 12 week and all clear.
Like I mentioned earlier the only symptoms persisting now are sore throat that is hardly painful and muscle inflammation all over the body but sometimes more in thigh, waist and upper arm.
Well I am expecting the result of a comprehensive health check I just performed. Hopefully the issue will be laid to rest.
OK great. Hope all is resolved soon.
let us know how it goes.
mkh9
Update:

I have been experiencing bouts of blood in my stool off and on for the past several months.  Usually it's only a small speck of light red blood I find on the toilet paper and it doesn't happen very often.  However, a few weeks ago there was quite a bit of blood in my stools.  This time, it was actually in the toilet; not only on the toilet paper.  This went on for 2 days.  I let it go for a couple weeks and, in the past 2 weeks, I've noticed my stools are green in color and, often I see undigested food in them.  I'm constipated as well, which has been going on for the past year or so.  Stools are generally thin.  I had a stool sample done back in January when I first started noticing my stools were different in appearance than usual, but they didn't find anything.  I went back to the doctor last Wednesday to discuss the blood in the stool and the green color.  He wasn't concerned at all about the green color.  I also told him that there is nothing green in my diet.  He suspected an internal hemmrohoid due to constipation and told me to take metamucil for a week and see if symptoms improve, so I'm going to take it until the end of this week and see how it goes.  If they don't improve, he siad he would send me to a GI doctor for a colonoscopy.  Personally, I'm suspecting a candida overgrowth (or possibly even bacterial) is causing my symptoms.

Any ideas?

Current symptoms (past 3 weeks):

Green colored stools
Constipation
Dizziness
Fatigue
Occasional blood in stools
Pencil like stools and blood in the stool could be a polyp and pre-cancerous where situation. So I would definitely get the colonoscopy. If there are polyps they can remove them before they become cancerous. The green stool has to do with bilenot having time to break down the stool because it is passing through too fast. The dizziness and fatigue may mean you are anemic. I hope you get the colonoscopy done. I have had two. They are not that bad. Get one where they put you to sleep or twilight sleep. I had one where I has half awake but didn't feel anything. The prep before you just have to fast the night before and eat just a liquid diet with jello and broth etc. I would get the pills they are not as harsh. But you still have to go for hours. But I didn't have cramping. The procedure you don't feel if they knock you out. You wake up and it is over. It takes about a half hour. Hemorroids (hemorrhoids)  make leave spots or a drop of blood but not a lot of blood in the toilet. No bouts of blood. There could be some kind of obstruction with the bile duct possibly. Have you seen a GI doctor or just a regular doctor? I think this shouldn't be taken lightly. I had a coworker who had the doctor ignore his symptoms like yours and he had colon cancer. So, I always tell people to really take a closer look if it is more than just a spot on the toilet paper. It is better to be safe than sorry.
mkh9
I agree mkh9.  Whether my symptoms go away or not in this coming week, I am going to ask him for the colonoscopy.  If nothing else, maybe they can find the source of this infection that I'm fighting.  I saw a GI doc when I had my first stool test done in January, but everything came back normal.  I've read that pencil-like stools accompanied with blood could be a sign of cancer, but it can also be a sign of a lot of other things as well.  I guess I won't know until I have the colonoscopy.

Do you think the candida overgrowth could be causing this?

And do you think, as far as my infection goes, that I am just dealing with candida that is resistant to fluconazole, or do you think something else is causing the candida overgrowth?I obviously have a bacteria overgrowth in my mouth (streptococcus) as was confirmed with tests also.  The candida is the first symptom I ever noticed, so could it be that the candida is disrupting my gut flora causing the strep overgrowth, OR is it something totally different that is causing both the candida and strep to overgrow as a result of a PH change in my flora???  Frustrating.

And do you think this candida/bacterial overgrowth would cause my swollen lymph nodes in my groin and armpits?
I don't think the candida or the bacterial overgrowth is doing anything to cause the blood in the stool or pencil like stools etc. Do you know what type of strep they cultured out? That is important. If is normal oral flora strep (alpha strep).No it wouldn't do that.

If it is Strep pneumonia maybe.  You don't normally get it in the genital area but if someone had it in their mouth and you did oral, its possible. But, I don't think so of the type that is normal oral bacteria, but if it is a strep like the one that causes strep throat (group A or Strep pyogenes) or a pathogenic one yes it would definitely cause swollen lymph nodes. If you can find that out it would be helpful. It is complicated. That is why I have my whole field dedicated to this. LOL.

Candida as a topical infection usually doesn't cause the swollen lymph nodes. If Candida gets into sterile places like the blood or tissues (joints), body fluids like joint fluid or peritoneal fluid etc. then it would cause a lot of problems such as high fever and swollen lymph nodes and you would be in the hospital. So I don't think that is the case. Ph. change wouldn't do it either.

One person I talked to on here (not this particular list) had a swab done of his urethra and they cultured it (regular urogenital culture) and it turned up positive for Strep pyogenes. He was having frequent urination, swollen lymph nodes etc. so ta da  finally figured it out. So, there is something not being found here. In addition to the blood in the stool or maybe that is the problem we'll see. One day at a time eh? I hope I explained this ok.
mkh9
Yes, you've been a great help mkh9.  Please stick around.  I'm not exactly sure the type of strep they cultured, but I believe the doctor said it was 'normal' bacterial flora.  Having said that, about a year after I had the strep symptoms (meaning the white-coated tongue), I came down with the worst strep throat I had ever had.  I had to take antibiotics; it lasted about 4 days, but it hurt so bad that I couldn't even swallow water.  My tongue was twice as white as it is currently while I was sick.  Although after I got over it, I was still left with the white tongue (albeit not as bad) even after the antibiotics.

Interesting you mention candida in the joint tissues, because after about a year of symptoms, I have found that I cannot run anymore without excruciating pain in my knees.  I even had a doc put injections in them, but they did nothing for me.  They only hurt with the impact of running.  I can still workout with weights just fine.  So, do you still not think the candida may be causing my swollen lymph nodes?  If not, what else could it be?  I've tested negative for everything else besides candida and streptococcus.

And what kind of pathogen/ailment would change the ph balance to cause me this many problems?  Especially that soon after exposure?  I started having the candida issues, which started around my genitals, 3 weeks after exposure, and it's still there to this day.
Did you ever get the Mycoplasma genitalium, Mycoplasma hominis or Ureaplasma urealyticum molecular tests done I mentioned way back on this list? Not sure they would cause swollen lymph nodes but definitely urethritis and frequent urination, penis discomfort. But since you had the strep throat (not the normal tongue bacteria) its possible that got transferred via kissing to oral sex and then the infection that way. So, a urethral swab and culture for strep (beta hemolytic strep not normal flora or the kind that causes your strep throat). This is also known as Streptococcus pyogenes, or Group A strep. Also, what they call group C and G strep can cause a serious problem too. I have had type G and I was so sick I had to have two shots of Azithromycin and a Z-pack. Like you said you couldn't open you mouth I also had that and a high fever and the whole tonsils were white not just dots. Anyway, but as for your joints you were GC negative otherwise if you were Untreated that and Untreated Syphilis can cause joint problems. Getting a FTA antibody test to confirm the negative RPR test for Syphilis wouldn't hurt if you haven't had that done.  Forgive me if I repeat myself. There are so many posts on here it gets confusing.  Hard to scroll back and look at everything.

It could just be that your cartiledge in the knee just wore down since you were a runner. If you ran on sidewalks or pavement, asphalt etc. that can do it over time. You can try chondritin pills for a while but it takes time to work. I actually had knee problems when I was able to run and took chondritin and it helped after a while (2-4 months) and the pain went away. So I take them every day. It even helped my dog and I know he didn't have a placebo affect. LOL. I get mine at Costco it is less expensive. But they are still pretty expensive. It is chondritin/gluosamine pills and I take one a day. The chondritin is what works. You could have some kind of bursitis or arthritis though. I really don't think it is infection related. If you had systemic candida you wouldn't be talking to me. You would be that sick.

I don't think it is a pH problem rather than a infection or some other problem. Your lymph nodes wouldn't swell from a pH problem.
mkh9
Do you still have the topical (skin) yeast problem? If so yes I think you have a strain of candida (or another type of yeast if you didn't get it identified) that is resistant to fluconazole. Candida albicans is often resistant to it. I mention to someone on this list that Terbinafine cream should work better. Use it for a week.
mkh9
Thank you so much for all your feedback.  Well, you would think that if they cultured streptococcus from my tongue (which they did), then it would show up in a stool sample, wouldn't it?  Anyways, I'm going to mention it when I go in to see the GI doc so they can do another swab test.  I will also go back in to get another std panel done, including syphilis.  So, do you think the streptococcus overgrowth is causing my swollen lymph nodes?  If not, what else could it be?  And wouldn't the antibiotics that I took for my strep infection have eliminated the streptococcus?  I know it's a lot of questions and I'm sure you aren't able to answer them all; I'm just looking for opinions.  

And keeping in mind that not only do I have a streptococcus overgrowth, but a candida overgrowth as well, it leads me to maybe think that there is something else altogether causing both overgrowths....but what??  My stools today were a slimy green.  Something is definitely wrong.
If they cultured the right strep then that would be different. Regarding your tongue. But normally they don't look for strep in a stool culture because they use culture media with antibiotics to get rid of it and only look for intestinal pathogens. So they won't see it. It isn't a pathogen in the GI tract.

No the strep overgrowth is not causing the swollen lymph nodes (unless it is Strep pyogenes which is beta hemolytic strep Group A  or three there is beta hemolytic strep Group C or G) . Usually, what you are talking about would be normal throat or tongue bacteria and that is alpha strep called Viridans strep and that is not a pathogen (doesn't cause disease). When I saw alpha or beta it is how it looks on the culture media and has clinical significance. Yes at the time you took the antibiotics the strep on your tongue should have been killed too. But it depends some strep may be resistant to a particular antibiotic while other types may not. Nothing is 100% here. It usually would kill off most types of strep but if it didn't it doesn't mean anything.

Do you mean Candida overgrowth in the mouth or on your skin? In your mouth may mean you were lower in immunity but on the skin, it is a prevalent organism in the environment and if not treated right to start with then it never went away right? But not that usual to get it all over the place. People can get it as say jock itch or something like that. Yes something is wrong. But I'm sure you are looking at it quite right. But that is ok. I'm trying to explain the way things work.

If you get another Syphilis test get the FTA ab not the RPR or VDRL because you already had that right. Also, the RPR can be falsely negative about 20% of the time. The FTA will always be positive if you ever had it. If you get the STD panel it will have the RPR in it not the FTA so you may want to ask for that separately.

FYI, if you have stomach pain you could have a ulcer that may make you bleed and that is usually caused by the bacteria Helicobacter pylori. So, you can also talk to the GI doctor about that. They have a blood test (which would be positive all the time if you ever were exposed and even if you were treated) then there is a breath test for urea and that is a good test too. The breath test shows current infection. You may want to get both if you have stomach pain. I don't know if you want to add this. But I would still get the colonoscopy. I think you have to.

Later, maybe you can get a urethral culture to look for strep. When you recover from all this.
mkh9
Thank you; I understand what you're saying.  What's frustrating is it still doesn't tell me what's causing my swollen lymph nodes if you are convinced it's not the candida or strep.

The candida, initially, was diagnosed via scrape test on my scrotum.  Then about a year ago, I had a candida antibody blood test done, which was positive.

I suppose I will just have to get the colonoscopy, along with the other tests you recommended, and go from there.

Thank you for your help.
Yes it is important you get the colonoscopy since you are bleeding and have the pencil like stools. One thing at a time here. It is #1 on the list.
mkh9
Will do, and I will let you know the results.  From all the things I've researched online, my symptoms (overgrowth of candida and streptococcus) lead to the possibility of a weakened immune system.  I have tested conclusively negative for HIV, and I also had a CD4 count of 1,500 a few months after the onset of symptoms, so HIV is obviously not the issue here.

Can you recommend any other tests that would evaluate my immune system to check to see if it is operating normally?  I've had CD4, immunoglobulin, and ESR (all normal ranges).  I don't know the names of any other tests, or what kind of doctor I would need to see for it.

Also, are you famliar with the nagalase blood test?
Complement is one of the things you can test for to see if you have a deficiency. Obviously a complete blood count to check to see if you have a low white blood cell count. I hadn't heard of nagalase but just read about it. It checks for the gene NAGA. It is involved in detection of cancer and infection. I don't see many scientific articles on it. But it is interesting. You already had some of the other things. ASO (tests for antistreptolysin O which is an antigen for Strep pyogenes or group A strep). But the antibodies are only present for a few months after the strep infection. So, I don't know how long ago you had the strep throat? This test is to detect kidney problems and rhematic fever after a strep infection. Anti-Dnase B is the same. I can't think of any others at the moment. There may be others just can't think of any others.

You don't have painless nodules under the skin or a skin rash or fever right or an arrhythmia (palpitations). If not then you don't have rhematic fever. It does cause joint swelling in the knees, ankles, elbows and wrists and sometimes moves from one joint to another? I doubt it.
Yeah you don't have HIV. Well, take it easy. Let me know how it goes.
mkh9
Raven have you been tested for reactive arthritis, lupus or serogens syndrome I think its called lol they are all auto immune disorders that can cause wide spread changes in your body like hiv. Things like rashes, mouth ulcers, cold sores, joint and muscle pain , fatigue and swollen nodes compromising your immune system
Thanks mkh9.  I will let you know what I find out.
No, I have not.  If I don't find anything out from the GI doc, then I will ask about immunodificiency, along with autoimmune disorders.  Thanks.
OK.
Regarding the last post and complement test. The C3 (C3B) checks for innate immunity. Your natural ability to fight of bacteria. TTYL.
mkh9
By the way, since my current symptoms started to flare up as of the last couple weeks (constipation, green stools, occasional blood in stools, dizziness, lack of appetite, fatigue), my lymph nodes are much more pronounced.  They hurt more, especially when sitting down, and I can't blame this on tight fitting clothing because I've had my current pants I wear to work for several months now.  Even laying on the couch at night, the ones in my armpits ache without any pressure applied to them.

I don't know how significant this is in regards to my current symptoms; I just thought I would mention it.
When do you go in to see the GI specialist and/or get your colonoscopy?
mkh9
My current doctor told me to give it a week to see if my symptoms subside.  I saw him at the end of last week, so I will be calling him on Friday to request a referral to a GI doctor.  
I would get the referral. Your symptoms are going away are they? I would tell him the symptoms are not going away and some are getting worse so you can get the referral.
mkh9
Hey raven and all,

Haven't been around the MedHelp site for a while but thought I would drop by to give you an update of my situation.. I got my latest test results when I went to see my PCP in August and as expected, everything came back fine. So to recap, my exposure was Feb 12th, started feeling ill 5 days later with a bunch of symptoms as per my initial post with the Dr here:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/HIV---Prevention/Feeling-Hopless/show/2164093#post_10522289.

I've had 3 sets of STD tests, 2 HIV rapid tests, 3 HIV ELISA test (4th generation) all came back negative.

The following STD test were done Feb 24th, April 5th and July 14th so 2 weeks, 7 weeks and 21 weeks after exposure:

- Syphilis: 3 test non-reactive
-Chlamydia: 3 test not detected
-Gonorrhea: 3 test not detected
-Hepatitis A: 3 antibody test non-reactive
-Hepatitis B: 3 Surface Antigen test non-reactive
-Hepatitis B: 3 antibody test (IgG + IgM) non-reactive
-Hepatitis C: 3 antibody test non-reactive.

The following HIV ELISA test were done same dates as above STD test and all came back the same way: HIV1/2 Ag/Ab combo Screen non-reactive - no HIV antigen and no HIV1/HIV2 antibodies detected.

I also had 2 rapid test as stated above that came back non-reactive.

So 8 months later, some symptoms have gone away, some aren't as bad. The main symptoms I'm dealing with right now are the following:

- Discomfort in the throat, mild soreness. This is always present. Has been since day one but not as severe.
- White lines on side of tongue. This also has always been present.
-On/off chills. Not as bad as it was
-Rash on the inside of my thighs by crotch area.
-Random light red patches about 1/4 inch round on skin (arms, legs, back, shoulders)
- Toe fungus (both big toes about 1/4 covered)
- Fatigue. 8 hours sleep is not enough.
- No toleration to alcohol.
-Throat area always feels swollen.
- Tingling of skin area with the odd bout of hives.

My doctor persist on thinking that these symptoms are all caused by stress. I do not agree. I try to go on with my life as before but it's not easy. I know something isn't right. I have not had unprotected sex with my girlfriend. I've seen too many post about people thrusting their PCP saying that everything is fine and next thing you know, the girlfriend/wife becomes ill complaining. .

Do I think I would pass along HIV or the above mentioned STD's? no I don't. But I do believe I caught some type of either viral/bacterial or fungus infection that is not going away and affecting my immune system. I wish I could of been referred to an ID specialist but unfortunately that didn't happen.

Anyways, that's pretty much where I'm at. I hope things get better for everyone. Take care all,

Rocko
Hi everyone,

did anyone saw this?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/05/health/in-first-quick-dna-test-diagnoses-a-boys-illness.html

that test might be able to find what we're dealing with.

maybe someone in the U.S. can contact Dr. Gern or Dr. DeRisi (quotes in the article) to see how can we get tested and finally find what (virus or bacteria) is causing our chronic problems?
Apologies, the Doctor to contact is:

http://profiles.ucsf.edu/charles.chiu

maybe someone in the US or (even better) in California, can contact him personally.
Hi all

Firstly wow what an interesting thread.  Let me introduce myself.  I'm in the UK and been suffering now for 21 months following sex with a sex worker.

Always careful, I always use a condom for sex, this was no exception but at the end of the session she stupidly rubbed her bits with her hand, getting them wet, then rubbed the end of my penis with her hand twice.

Next day I had pain burning in the tip of my urethra.  It would turn bright red on occasion particularly after bathing as if someone had drawn bright red lipstick around my opening.  The skin also changed appearance.  I also had frequent urination, itching etc.

Convinced i'd caught herpes I took 6 herpes IGG tests, all negative, one month after the other.   However at month 11 I had 2 positive herpes (HSV2) results.  The lab said they had changed their equipment and didnt know what to make of the results.  All the Drs say it cant be correct.  To date ive not had a typical herpes outbreak down below.

I took a HIV Duo test (4th gen) at the 2nd month, negative.  My GP (Dr) did full blood counts, all normal and a dermatologist said he could see nothing wrong down below.

I was back and forth my sexual health clinic every other week, and despite swobs etc nothing was found.  I came down with an inner ear infection 7 months after the event which was rare for me and it lasted ages.  Just didnt feel myself.

I took a HIV Insti test 8 months after the event which was negative.  

In February this year, I woke up to find myself totally deaf in one ear.  It lasted all day so I went to the emergency unit in the night.  The nurse noticed the side of my face was also swollen.

Drs identified my parotid gland in my cheek is swollen so referred me to a specialist.  This is a significant indicator of HIV infection so between Feb and now i've taken 11 HIV tests consisting of 4th gen and INSTI tests - all negative.

My Dr refused to do a viral load test saying there is no need and it may give a false result so instead I did a CD4 /8 check which said:

CD4 count :  666  (normal 400-1500)
CD4 percentage : 38.5%  (normal 32 - 45%)
CD3/CD8 ratio :  1.71  (normal 0.9 - 3.0)
CD8 count : 420  (normal  380 - 700)

Although my CD4 count is at the lower end of the scale my Dr said there is no way, at 20 months, with HIV i'd have these values.   He said my CD4/8 ratio would be below 1 while if my gland swelling was due to infiltration of the HIV virus then the CD8 count would be very very high whereas mine is at the lower end of the range.

So, also this year ive had tonsilitis, never had this, another ear infection, and I just feel utterly rubbish.  My Dr has run 4 complete blood checks, all normal except slightly elevated red blood cell count which he said is normal.  One doctor suggested Sarcoidosis, though tests came back negative for that.

I've had chest x rays, normal.  I had an ultrasound on my cheek and an MRI Scan which showed nothing except slightly more muscle mass on the one side of my face where my face is swollen, and they say that is the cause.  I dont believe this, its too coincidental.

But the thing that brought me here was the debate about the tongue.  Mine looks EXACTLY like yours Ashler1977.  I have the white coating, thicker at the back, with raised taste buds.  Some days the tongue is very painful, particularly on the sides.  Horrible taste, some days very metallic.  Looks awful.  

Getting very frequent mouth ulcers and cold sores on my lips.  I feel very run down.  Pain in my underarms though dr says no glands are up.  My glands in my neck go up and down often, sometimes very painful, while my cheek is still swollen (only the one side).  My hearing came back incidentally after 24 hours.

I also still have the redness around my urethra opening and a redness around my neckline.  One dr said it looked like an overgrowth of yeast on the skin.  

Im terrified I have HIV if im honest.  Every Dr and specialist says no, not possible, and there has never been a failure of a 4th generation test in the past 3 years from what they say, given they are supposedly so sensitive.

So im left in this state , feeling very alone, until I read this tonight.  Which to some extent, worries me  more because it confirms there is obviously some virus out there we have caught.  I had unprotected oral with this girl (gave not received).  She denies having anything but wont reveal test results etc.

Im seriously now considering paying £300 to get a RNA test done.  Drs are warning  me not to, partly due to the fact it can give false results and also because mentally, I dont know if I could cope with that, because then it opens up more questions if its correct or not.  But at the same time, things like rare or new strains, etc are going through my head.  But then there is the normal CD4 counts.....

Its true some people dont make antibodies to HIV, but these are in the stages of AIDS and have CD counts below 200.  

So I just dont know what to do now.  Dr says my tongue definately is not thrush.  The oral surgeon who did the MRI scan said its from stress and anxiety and from my body being out of balance due to 20 months of stress and worry about things.  

He may be right, maybe we are caught in a vicious circle.  However,  I will continue to read this thread with interest and contribute my findings. Oh by the way, someone said they had noticed increased "wind" in their stomach, I also find this, but put it down to stress and worry causing the stomach upset....
Just to also add, my Dr ran tests to check my immune system IG-A, IG-G whatever.... said all normal..

Also, ive had chronic prostatitis for 8 years, never ever caused any of these problems.  I used to suffer lower back pain, testicular pain and frequent urination from it, but nothing like this now.  It certainally does not cause lymph node swelling and antibiotics wont get rid of it.  Its a muscular disorder, not an infection.  

Google "headache in the pelvis" and you'll see how pelvic floor dysfunction causes the pains.
FYI, To all
Next Gen sequencing is done at a lot of places. The thing is that depending on what part of the body you are looking at that part of the body may have lots of normal bacteria or it may be one that is supposed to be sterile. Some sterile sites would be spinal fluid, the brain, blood, and so forth. A lot of other areas have a variety of bacteria that is supposed to be there. So this sequencing would pick those up. The trick would be to determine what is causing disease.

I don't know how many of you have been tested for Mycoplasma genitalium, Mycoplasma hominis and Ureaplasma urealyticum?  In the past and on the STD site they don't/didn't believe these organisms can cause problems. It is now known that these can cause STI's.  They are considered parasitic bacteria. You can get tested for these by a NAAT test or PCR test. Since some doctors are also slow to change they may also be reluctant to test for these. The CDC does recognize these as causes of non gonococcal urethritis, but states the tests are " research use " only. The reason for this is not that they are not important rather the discovery of these bacteria as causes of illness came late in the game and by then the biotechs in the US didn't want to spend money for FDA approval. It costs lots of money. So, they rely on the clinical labs to do the testing/validation instead. I know because I worked on these tests myself.

I hope for some of you it is helpful. The Next Gen sequencing (which is just a faster maybe less expensive way to do regular sequencing) is a "shot gun" approach to find out if you have a particular virus or bacteria. It is sort of mining for any organism. So it is worth a try as long as you have someone to tell you which of the organisms is a pathogen and which is normal flora for the site on the body you are testing for.
take care,
mkh9
any updates anyone?
Has anyone looked into an infection with the gram  negative bacteria bartonella? It can be an infection in itself or it can also be a co-infection in Lyme disease. There is controversy over whether these types of infections and Lyme disease in general are sexually transmitted, but there is research on the subject and I personally believe that it is possible as I find myself in the  same situation as many of you. Had sex, condom slipped off, started experiencing weird symptoms. Started with inflamed meatus, then diarrhea, night sweats, panic attacks, insomnia. Started to develop rash/red spots on arms and shoulders. Skin started to get dry and thin looking. Started to get leg and foot soreness, and pain in feet. Have less stamina and energy. It's been about 3 months now and all symptoms persist. I went through the battery of tests as I am sure all here have. Even checked for mycoplasma and Ureaplasma. Everything comes up negative. Finally saw a naturopathic doctor who uses muscle testing and he said I have bartonella. Looked up the symptoms, and it definitely seems to match up well with my experience and seemingly many of yours as well. It is a vector born illness thought to be transmitted by fleas, ticks, and bitting flies. I now believe it is sexually transmitttable. Anyways, it's a very persistent infection that can take months to years of antibiotics to overcome and there are no guarantees. There are also natural protocols that may have some efficacy. Tough luck for one night if idiotic pleasure.
Yes I know all about Lymes disease. But so far no evidence that it is sexually transmitted. So you could have just been bitten by a tick etc. You really should get the regular testing for it. See the CDC for their recommendations. Also if you want to see a Lyme literate medical doctor who is more open to this they are called LLMD's you can search for one in your area. If interested I can get the website for you. Borrelia burgdorferi can hide in the lymph nodes and takes a long time to treat if you are chronic. If you catch it early then it takes about 2 months of Doxycyclin. There are also co-infections you can get with the bite of a tick such as babesiosis, Erhlichiosis, bartonella and so forth. If you have Bartonella you should be tested for these co-infections as well. They can do PCR or molecular tests for these organisms. The laboratory called Igenex is a very good lab to have your specimens sent to but not all insurance will pay for it. Other labs can test for these organisms. IgeneX is particularly good for testing for Lymes disease and worth the cost.
hope you get better,
mkh9
p.s. But they are looking into whether it can be sexually transmitted. No one has proved it yet.
mkh9
Thank you for the prompt reply mkh9. I haven't been bitten by a tick recently. In all fairness, I'm sure you, as a microbiologist are more qualified to speak on the issue, but there is research on the possibility of sexual transmission. Here is a link to an article on the research: http://lymedisease.org/news/lyme_disease_views/lyme-sexual-transmission.html. I remember one of the posters saying that they tested positive for an unknown gram negative bacterium, with similar symptoms to mine which all point towards bartonella. This could also possibly explain many unknown cases of NGU. I can only speak from personal experience, and my symptoms started the day after my sexual encounter with a redness and irritation at the opening of the urethra, and just continued from there. Another poster had all negative test results and responded well to a months long course of cipro which has good action against  bartonella. I'm not sure wwhat else my symptoms could be linked to at this point, as I have tested for everything, including newly emerging std's such as Myco and eureplasma. I have however just done a very expensive test for lyme, including last co-infections, so we will see.
Well, the jury is still out as to whether or Lyme is transmitted sexually. But we'll see. Oftentimes people don't know they have been bitten by the Ixodes tick because it is so small. But we'll see what your results show. Also, I hope it is a accurate test. I'm glad you did the co-infections too. Actually, Borrelia is not really a gram negative rod it is a sprial shaped gram negative bacteria or spirochete. Also, NGU isn't a gram negative rod either it is a gram negative diplococci (different class of bacteria). Mycoplasma genitalium and Ureaplasma Urealyticum aren't really emerging or new. They have been around for a long time causing problems but only recently being more recognized as STI's. I have worked with these organisms for many years (since 1992 or so). The article you mention states that they showed that lyme can be transmitted in vaginal secretions and semen but it appears that some may have transmitted it. So, I think they are beginning to prove it. One study doesn't  prove it though. I would say it is interesting and possible but not 100% sure yet. As they mentioned in the article they could have been bitten by a tick too. Also, there was one person who had the same strain as their partner. So that one was quite possible. It does look like it might be convincing. I never go by one article alone as I have seen these things refuted many times. I think if it was the case there would be a lot more cases of Lymes disease. So, maybe in some cases you can maybe depending on your immune system or some other reason. We'll see. In the mean time if you are positive you need treatment. It was a good call on your part to check it out based on your symptoms.
mkh9
Yeah, sorry for the confusion. What I meant was that bartonella specifically is a  gram negative bacteria or so I thought. I'm just going based on my symptomology and that of others on this board and how eerily similar they are to bartonella infection. That, and a medical professional I spoke to at an AZ Lyme clinic (where got the testing done) said it sounds like a bartonella infection. I even have little dark spots under my skin on my left shin that look like tissue damage! Apparently bartonella causes shin and foot pain. Also it looks like mycoplasma is increasingly resistant to antibiotic treatment. Do  you think the new macrolide solythromycin looks promising for fighting this?
I am not saying you don't have Lyme or Lyme symptoms. Just trying to clarify.  Yes it seems like a lot of bacteria are becoming resistant to antibiotics in general. It is best to get a culture of the organism before taking antibiotics. But in the case of Mycoplasma you can't. So, I don't know about solythromycin. Mycoplasma can be resistant to macrolides so I don't know for sure. Doxycycline is a treatment for both Lyme and Mycoplasma and there is also Levofloxacine for Mycoplasma. And, for persistant strains Metronidazole. So there are other antibiotics to try if necessary. One day at a time.
mkh9
@ukguy010 if your saliva is thick and sticky, you feel dryness in your mouth, you wake up with a metalic taste on your mouth then you might have a problem with your salivary glands. It took me 2 years and 5 months for some doctor to send me for a scintigraphy (scan) of the salivary glands so if you have similar symptoms PLEASE ask your doctor to check this out.

The scintigraphy revealed that my salivary glands were functioning bad. A lip biopsy done weeks later re-confirmed this but unfortunately the diagnosis was not specific, the results reads "nonspecific chronic sialadenitis". Details here:

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/1256695/Salivary-gland-disorder-confirmed?personal_page_id=2596706

It's interesting you say all these problems came after an episody of insertive oral sex exposure. It was also my case. And they say oral sex is "safe"...

Still looking for a diagnosis.

Tests I have done
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AoXYb8O_eRNhdHdKVERqWk8wOFBuOWxGb0dNOUw5LVE&gid=1

PS. if you plan to test directly for HIV I would suggest rather a PCR DNA test. By the way, 300 GBP is really expensive! In Vienna, Ausria, a PCR RNA costs around 70 EUR (which is around 50 GBP I think)
any idea where in Europe can I have this Next Gen sequencing? any idea of what cost are we talking about for this test? I think I am looking for a virus as the root cause of my symptoms.
First you have to decide which body site to choose. They don't just scan the whole body. You start with a sample and get DNA out of that sample just any other PCR or sequencing. In the US it costs about $2,000.00 dollars per sample.  Most of the time they are looking at the whole human genome not viruses. So this technology may not be what you are looking for.
mkh9
Thanks for the reply.  I do sometimes get dry mouth, and my parotid gland is swollen in my cheek.  The MRI scan showed an increase in muscle mass underneath it which they believe is the cause, but im not so sure.

Im now get very burning eyes as well and have to put lubricating eye drops in.

Every doctor I have seen have told me NOT to do the HIV PCR test as its inaccurate and can give false readings.  I've had 13 negative HIV Fourth Generation tests (ag and ab) which they said completely rules it out.  

Currently, im waiting on the results of a western blot in the USA for Herpes type 1 and 2 to see what that comes back with.  Im wondering if a strange strain of herpes has triggered all this off.
Why do you or they think it is Herpes? Herpes gets in the nerve cells not tissue. But it obviously causes cold sores and sores on the genital areas and so forth so it comes out as sores on the skin despite being on the nerve cells. I actually got Herpes type 1 and when having a dental procedure according to the dental specialist it came out on my gum. It hurt like heck. So it runs all along which ever nerve it was initially at. Mine even broke out genitally after 20 years. Long story but it was still type 1 and was due to same partner but an earlier oral episode that we didn't repeat and the doctor said it was possible and he had seen this several times in his practice. So the Herpes family (which includes Herpes Simplex 1 and 2, EBV and CMV and Herpes type 6 and probably others) all can cause a lot of problems.

Yes I wouldn't worry about HIV.

It would be good if Acyclovir would help you.

mkh9
p.s.
Of course that is if you are positive for herpes.  The thing is most people have type 1 herpes. But not everyone has type 2.
mkh9
Well this is the problem  I currently have.  The girl wiped her ***** juice on the tip of my **** after sex, which i've been told is negligible risk for anything - but, after about 5 hours I started having bad burning on the tip and my skin went very red and dry, to the extent that i cant lay in a bath fully submerged as my urethra and skin goes so red and burning.  Its been this way now for nearly 2 years.

I had 6 herpes tests done each month after the event which were all negative (apart from HSV1 which ive had on my lips nearly all my life and doesnt bother me anymore).

At 11 months I had a re-test done, same lab, but they had changed their machine from a BioLab to a Diasorin.  This time the result came back positive for HSV1 AND HSV2 but with weird index values.  The HSV1 had gone up over 50.0  (normally about 6-8.0) and the HSV2 was 3.8  (normally was 0.2).  I tested again and got 50.0 again for HSV1 but the HSV2 had gone DOWN to 2.3.

Never had any blisters - just red, irritated skin.  Seen god knows how many doctors, none of which can help, despite antibiotics, creams etc.  I spoke with Terri Warren in Westover Heights clinic in the US who didnt believe the Diasorin result was correct and said it would be a good idea for me to send blood over the US for a Western Blot.  So thats what I have done so I can find out hopefully if the HSV2 result is true or not.

But - it hasnt ended here.  In February this year my left parotid gland on my face enlarged and has stayed that way ever since. I have a white coating on my tongue dry mouth and dry eyes.  I get repeated ear problems with balance, and just feel wiped out all the time.

I've had 13 fourth generation HIV tests which have all been totally negative.  A MRI scan showed more muscle mass on my left cheek under the gland so they told me that was the cause.  But im not totally believing it.  

Health wise, ever since that encounter, i've been living in this nightmare which to be honest, has made me have stupid thoughts i've never even contemplated before.  I've spent a fortune on medical tests and everything comes back normal.

But I cant ignore the fact that healthwise before that encounter I was perfect- No problems.  Now, im a shadow of my former self.  I've caught something, no doubt about that, its finding out what that something is that no one seems to be able to help with.....
Yes I see your dilemma. I have had poor health too the last 7 years. It has nothing to do with your kind of situation but I was extremely healthy and was backpacking up the mountains in Banff, Canada etc. The next year it was one thing after another, work injury, back injury, then shoulder injury, then knee injury and blood clots ugh. I am still trying to get my strength back. Now bone loss. So, I understand your feeling and frustration. I feel the same that it has been a nightmare. I hope I can get out of this soon too. So we have to both press forward and realize these things come up in life and we will get through them.

I believe that the cheek problem is the salivary gland. But what caused it to start with, that is the question.

It is interesting that the Herpes was negative then positive. Do you know if it was IgM that came up positive then went down and then the IgG that came up after? That would make sense or that the IgG was negative then went positive. This can happen because it takes about 3 months after exposure for the IgG to go positive then it will drop back down.

I am not quite sure why they are doing a western blot. Probably to see what type. Some types cause cause more problems then others if it isn't HSV 1 or 2.  But we'll see what they come up with.

I wonder if you should get your iron, ferritin and complete blood count done. Have you had those done? What about the thyroid? All of these could, if abnormal, make you wiped out depending on what is going on. I suddenly became hypothyroid last year. In my 20's I became anemic and could barely go to college. So, there are a lot of things besides viruses and your encounter that can cause this fatigue. It is good to keep an open mind. The sexual encounter may be causing some things and not others or maybe all. But keep your options open. Just something to think about.

take care,
mkh9

Have you ever spoken to the woman you had sex with to follow up if she has anything?
Mkh9 remember me from Sept.7 post? It is sad to note that despite all the tests I have done that I still have like burning sensation in my feet, leg, arms and all over the body. Can't sleep well because of pains. Tested negative for hiv at 7months. What else could be causing me this much discomfort.
Do you still have the sore throat or did that go away? Did you ever test for diabetes? The burning sensation in the feet leg and arms sounds neurological. Have you seen a neurologist? Sounds like you are very clear of HIV. Don't worry about that any more.
mkh9
My sugar level is ok. I still have the sore throat. I met an ENT doctor about 3 weeks ago and he gave some drugs which removed the symtoms (symptoms) for a few days after which the pain in throat came back and the burning sensation also returned.
Could the burning sensation and numbness come from whatever that is causing the sore throat?
I don't know. This is beyond my scope. I would see a neurologist to start with.
mkh9
Thanks so much for your contributions.
First wow! i thought it just a matter of time and ill get over my anxiety. I knew i had a viral/bacterial infection that is fighting with my body. Hi gentlemen! My symptoms are like what you all described.
Let me  introduce myself . Im 23 yr female! I live in Kuwait. Iv been healthy all my life been having unprotected sex with my partner for more that a year and never complained of any thing. That stupid night i gave a new partner unprotected oral sex.. After couple of days i started getting joint pain and muscle twitching  i had panic attack and anxiety of having HIV. Things got worse with anxiety. So i had to wait for couple of weeks to get tested. These are my symptoms.

-I had shooting type pains thro various muscles all over my body started from my shoulders and neck to my lower back,buttocks, thighs, knees. Foot and toes. I still have the pain extends down into my hand and fingers i can barely type. This pain is off and on.
-soar throat. Swollen neck gland, armpits. (Went away)
-no fever
-general fatigue ( i barley can carry heavy stuff)
-insomnia
-stool colored changed- more green and light
- anus itches... Buttocks, thighs mild itches
- the worst thing is my taunge  is identical to the one on the pic. And a bit more heavy coated on the end of my taunge. Never had cold sores
-blurry vision my left eye-dry eyes
-my skin became very sensitive  chill/hot
-white discharge (i used to have yeast infection before exposure)
- darker urinating
-bleeding period- first time
-Hope

My blood cells was all normal, i did a hormones test all came back normal except for my prolactin was high, vitamin D is low( i believe there is something causing my hormone changes ) i got my Hiv tested in 4 weeks Hiv1&2 ab/ag combo came back negative, took a vaginal swab of discharge there was either bacterial/fungal infection. Just received a call to pick my other results up and keep you guys updated. Never had any bumps or blisters in my genital. Waiting on my std's result. Lets hope everything will be clear this weak.

The question is i havnt had sex with my bf last couple of months. It breaks my heart specially we're getting married after 6 months! Plz if anyone is married or have the same symptoms and his parter is completely fine let me know plzz.

From the research i did i came to a conclusion it could be bacterial infection got out of control. If it was viral our bodies temperature will increase and  will start to have the anti bodies to fight back the stupid virus and the symptoms will go away.  Just like Hiv and hsv symptoms go away with time.

God! The tingling twitches muscle made me crazy.. I thought of pelvic infection or some sort of nerve damage caused by anxiety and stress. I pray we can get over all this together. Even tho i live in the other half of the world but we share the same pain. Soft hugs to all of u hanging on there.

Ps. Please forgive my english.
Im lookin forward for any updates... Cant sleep cant eat. Im depressed im gonna see a therapist maybe all this on my head!

Any answer?
Thanks for detailing your case.
More HIV 4th Generation tests are worthless, so don't do that anymore. If you are still concerned about HIV there are PCR DNA and PCR RNA tests for direct virus detection. Yes, it's possible to have a false positive, as it's possible to have it you continue with the 4th Generation tests.

There are, however, other viruses that can lead to salivary gland disfunction (HTLV, for instance). This interesting study shows a link between Retroviruses and Salivary gland disorder:

http://arthritis-research.com/content/13/2/212
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC499817/pdf/jclinpath00252-0045.pdf

again I would URGE you to do salivary gland scan to check if they're working properly:

http://www.hopkinssjogrens.org/disease-information/diagnosis-sjogrens-syndrome/salivary-gland-function-scan/

keep us update on your case (I am updating
*I am updating my case on my Journal.
Hi Sunshine, i tried sending this to you directly but some reason wouldnt go through. Thank you for writing and sorry you are going through this. I no longer have most symptoms but do suffer from chronic pelvic pain due to the initial infection. I took all antibiotics associated with stds tested neg for 1 yr and gave up on that direction. Doc seems to think it was a virus of unkown origin, i also took alot of vitamins to boost immune system to fight offb whatever it was. Most symptoms were gone after 1 yr but was left with chronic pelvic pain which took another year of physical therapy to resolve. I still get minor pains from time to time and need to watch what activities i do which inflame the condition. I a 2.5 yrs past exposure now and living a normal life. My wife and i have been having unprotected sex since a year after exposure and she never got anything. If after your medical treatment you still have pelvic pain please seek out a pelvic pain doctor or physical therapist, they did the most for my recovery. Best of luck to you and please keep me informed of your progress
On another note, i cant believe its been about 2.5 years since i started this post looking for answers. Since i have met alot of people suffering the same or similiar condition with no answers from the medical community. I hope we soon find a treatment for this, seeing all that have been affected by this here and on other sites there eventually has to be a response from the medical community to acknowldge us and our REAL symptoms. I hope everyone the best in your journey and keep posting any updates that could benefit in our recovery.
Hi matt, i just received all my std's results they came back negative... Im giving up on std's and hiv. Ill try to live normal life and have fun, i start to believe anxiety messed up our brains that made us believe we are carrying some sort of virus. I went to see a neurologist he blamed anxiety and lack of sleep, he said the past 2 months is enough time to damage one of your nerve so I'm getting MRI next week. Lets hope nothin's wrong since i have a family history with MS. He gave me Nortriptyline it helps took away 60% of the tingling and numbness in my leg. That made me believe its all about anxiety. The past 2 months iv never ever been this worried and scared of getting hiv. Ill try to get back to a healthy diet. Workin out maybe! And I'm getting married next may! Still having the white tongue and pelvic pain. Ill get tested for salivary glands to see if its working properly. Hopefully time will heal everything. Thanks again matt i hope you and your family the best of luck.  
Ill keep you updated.
Blesses
Viewing 201-335 comments: