Infectious Diseases Community
Unkown virus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

Viewing 201-236 comments:
I have been tested for HTLV and several times for HIV.

My salivary glands are producing few saliva hence my dry white tongue. My eyes are also producing less tears (confirmed with Schrimer test). So this means that I might have Sjorgen Syndrome. My question is: does anyone knows about people having this after a sexual encounter?

Test results here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AoXYb8O_eRNhdHdKVERqWk8wOFBuOWxGb0dNOUw5LVE&gid=1

(CD4 count have droped to 515 from 667 - I will need to repeat this test in a few weeks)

Photos of my tongue here:
http://www.medhelp.org/user_photos/list/2076759?personal_page_id=2596706

Have these problems for two years in a row now.

Going soon to the reumatologist to see what we will do.
Wilson- How do you know for sure that your suffering from the 'Chinese virus'?  I've read a bit about the symptoms of this Chinese virus, and I'm not so sure that your symptoms match it.  Plus, I've heard from more than one website that if someone gets this virus, there whole household gets it eventually (from sharing utensils and other things).  Is anyone else in your household suffering from symptoms?

Furthermore, if you're convinced that it is this Chinese virus, then there's really nothing to figure out...you'll just have to wait until doctors/scientists identify it and are able to treat it.

Best wishes.
Ashler-

I have the same tongue symptoms as you, however, I got a scrape test done on mine and found that it was a streptococus overgrowth.  I can't remember if you answered this above, but did you ever get a scrape test done on yours?  (Sorry, after 180 posts here, I really don't have the energy to scroll up and find the info lol).

Wow, that's a pretty low CD4 count!  Doctors must acknowledge that something is going on with you.  Do you get sick often?  I, too, thought my CD4 count would be extremely low given my symptoms, but when I had a test done, mine was at 1,500 (normal range).

I'm going on 2 years now too.  It's getting really old, but I don't know where to go next.

Best wishes to you, and let us know if you find anything out.
Hi raven,

My CD4 count are in the normal range, that's why the immunologist was not concerned. They might be low compared to yours, but some people just have higher CD4 and some other lower CD4 (regardless of any infection). For information my CD4% is stable (it was first 39% and then 37.1%) and my CD4/CD8 ratio is greater than 2.

Do you know what's your CD4% ?

No, I don't get sick often. I have a dry mouth and dry eyes problem. And yes, I had several oral swab tests done. The first time (June 2012) yeast was found. I have had several other tests and nothing was found. In 2013 some strange bacteria was found and now in 2014 another strange bacteria  was found (check my profile for my details). Since the role of saliva is keeping bacteria under control I am not surprised there's an overgrowth of this pathogens due my tongue dryness.
Raven - be interested to hear why you think my symptoms don't match the Chinese virus? I'd love it not too, but all seems way too similar what with the whole severe anxiety, tongue problems, gastro issues, chest pains, red eye, and now long lasting symptoms of ulcers, cracking joints, muscle spasms and peeling hands and feet, plus skin hardening. Haven't had any fatigue to date though. My view on the tongue thing is that this virus hits the mucus membranes, causing generalised dryness (skin, mouth, eyes) so therefore a lack of salvia to fight bacteria.

Have you guys been tested for HPV-16? One guy here had a lot of your symptoms and then his wife tested positive.

I've spoke to one guy in the UK (toughtime on medhelp) whose case fits mine perfectly.

I have definitely passed this on to one person...symptoms not as bad as mine, but still there. I don't share a house with anyone else so couldn't pass it to family members.

Having another chat to the microbiologist in the US this week. Will feed back.

Also - creation - please let us know you're still around and haven't done anything silly.
Still here. Living the nightmare
It's great wondering how much longer I have left to live each day
Can't have relations with my partner of over ten years as I cannot allow what has happened to me to happen to her
Every day wondering if it will be my last
I really wish I had the courage to end my life as I've ruined my one and only life but I do not have the balls to do it.
You play with fire, you get burned.
Today is my one year anniversary, one year ago today I ruined my life and my partners life.
Ashler-  Hmm...no, I don't know what my CD4% is; it may not hurt to get it checked though.  I've read that normal CD4 ranges from 500 to 1600, so I thought that yours was on the low end of normal.  But obviously you got it tested, and if the doctor says it's fine, then that's great.  I wonder why it fell though?  Let us know what the results are when you go back in in a few weeks.

That's an interesting theory on how if you aren't producing enough saliva, then bacteria thrive more.  I didn't know this.  How does it feel when you say you have a dry mouth?  Is it so dry that you have difficulty swallowing? The reason I'm asking is I don't feel as though I have a dry mouth; only the white coating on my tongue.  Do you have a copy of your test results?  I'd like to know the name of the bacteria they found on your tongue.
Wilson-  Ok, I've just read through the symptoms again on this Chinese virus.  Yes, you could be right, after I read through your symptoms again.  Did you ever get a CD4 count test?  It seems as though about 60% of the people who get this have a decrease in CD4 count, but then in most people, it returns to normal levels after a couple years.  Very strange.

How did you pass it on to someone else?  What was the encounter?  Seems like this virus is spread through saliva.  Did you kiss someone?

The only symptom of mine that I can match to this particular virus is the white-coated tongue.  My knees ache pretty bad when I run, which only started after this infection, but none of my joints 'crack'.  And my other joints seem to be fine.  No red-eye, no skin peeling, no loss of elasticity in my skin, no suicidal tendencies, etc, etc...

Please let us know about any further testing you have done.

Best wishes.
Creation-
You still don't know that this problem can't be taken care of.  Please keep your head up, man.  Try your best to go out and do things you love.  I know it's tough.

And here is something else to help:  if this does happen to be a chronic viral infection, keep in mind that Dr. Todd Rider from MIT has been working on a drug called DRACO, which has been known to kill any virus it treats (including HIV), while leaving uninfected cells unharmed.  Google this if you haven't already.  It hasn't been tested in humans yet, but he said that by the year 2022, it should be approved by the FDA and ready for human trials (if all tests go smoothly, which they have been so far).  I know that seems like a long ways away, but it's still hope and not really all that long away in the grand scheme of things.  And the even better news is that it's not just a theory; it's actually being tested and it works.

Keep your head up man.  Where there's a will, there's a way.

Best wishes to you, my friend.
Yeah it's an almost exact match to the Chinese virus, to the point it's kind of freaky. I wish I could find similar sufferers in the West to ascertain the trajectory of the virus. Will see another ID doc when back in the UK, but what's the chance of them finding anything of note, when thousands of people have seen numerous doctors and not made inroads? It's all a rather helpless feeling.

DRACO - very very interesting. Let's hope they hurry the fck up!

Creation, seriously man, you need to get some help. Your comments and thought processes aren't productive. See a therapist who will help you deal with this.

Raven, I wouldn't rule out HPV-16 as the cause of all your tongue problems.
Hi guys

I've set up a new forum to act as a central meeting places where all sufferers can work together to the bottom of our illness. Makes more sense than being scattered around hundreds of health sites. If you believe you have the same illness as me (most likely the Chinese virus) would you please do me a favour and post your story to get the ball rolling? The address is unknownstdDOTfreeforumsDOTnet

We just have to hope that something symptomatic presents that does not kill us.  

People with Lyme's can live with that for decades.  

I'm praying for something like that for us lot.
I'm also hoping that when it does kill me I'm still able to fake being well up to the point it kills me so no one will ever know I killed myself by mistake.  

Great having to hide from my partner I'm seriously ill because of something I did.  Another reason why I pray I can fake being well until I drop dead.

People who OD die a quick death, this slow death mess of a life is no life at all.
Creation-  First off, I believe there is a depression forum on this site; please go over there and talk to someone.  No one here is doubting that your symptoms are real, we believe you.  But from your posts, it's clear that you need to talk to someone who can help you professionally.  If there is no depression/anxiety forum here, please go to another site and speak with someone.  I'm just trying to look out for you man.

I can't remember if you already posted this or not since there are so many posts here, and so many sufferers to keep track of all the time, but you said that you want to hide this from your partner, correct?  Does your partner have any symptoms right now?  If so, what are they?
Hey Gents,

Saw the consultant urologist, got the prostrate checked, got bladder checked to see if its emptying properly, got epidemiologist checked physically. Finger up the bum again prostrate check.
Went through everything that happened and he smiled (grrrrr).
He told me the only thing to be concerned about was a small bit of flank pain, which he puts down to me drinking more nowadays. I had Kidney stones when a youth and it was in this left Kidney so i'm going to get some scans etc.

My symptoms have mostly gone but here they are:

- Dry sore eyes (very minimal) Not really noticeable unless i stare at screens all day
- Coated tongue (better but still there)
- Cold extremities (hands / feet but have always had this)
- Tingling of testis (very minimal again, probably due to what was an infection of some sort long gone)
-  Itchiness all gone now (sweeeeeet)

I've now had every professional tell me they see this everyday in people and its very common. They all think its my head telling my body to display these symptoms. Placebo effect.

They might be right as the power of the mind is crazy but I just don't buy that.

Gonna get my kidney checked and then that's probably the end of the road for me.

I'm not be bothered by any of these really remote symptoms that seem to be getting better and better over time.

Pelvic Floor Dysfunction is the best shout from Matt238 (thanks)

Whatever it was has long gone either killed by antibiotics or my immune system and now my body will either be like this forever or settle down. Either way I think I'm going to give it another  year and see where I am.

NO one on this thread has died yet I'm sure, so creation you need counselling bro.

I also think we all have different things which doesn't help anyone diagnosing.

I'll be back boys, but not for a while as for the last few weeks I've forgotton about it and its really really helped.

Peace Out .............

Good day all, saw this thread and figured I'd join in. I also have ongoing symptoms that I am dealing with daily after a low risk episode with s stripper back in early Feb. You can see my original post here: http://www.medhelp.org/posts/HIV---Prevention/Feeling-Hopless/show/2164093#post_10522289

Tested negative for HIV at 7 weeks, 12 weeks and 16 weks. Tested negative for the standard STD's at 7 weeks. My ongoing daily symptoms are:

- White lines on side of tongue
- Feeling extremely tired
- Lost 25 pounds that I haven't gained back, mostly muscle mass
- Have reddish round patches that appeared on skin
- Pain in lower abdomen/stomach
- Night sweats
- Daily on/off chilss
- Chronic discomfort in throat
- Fungus on both large toe nails, cover about a quarter of the nail.

My PCP thinks its all in my head and I'm trying to make him understand how can some of these symptoms...i.e...fungus on toe nails...be stress related? Having difficulty having him refer me  to an ID specialist.

Id like to redo another round of STD test and add HTLV 1-2 and HPV-16. I could of also caught some type of bacteria or fungus like candidiasis but not sure if there's a test for that. Would appreciate any suggestions.
Hey, Rocko.

Welcome to the thread.  I read your other thread; trust the doctor (and tests that you've done) when it comes to HIV...you don't have it.

I don't think anyone here has found a definitive answer yet on what's causing their symptoms, and I don't think that everyone here is suffering from the same infection.  Repeat your STD tests if you would like, then leave it at that if they're all negative again...which they will be.

I've been wanting to take an HTLV 1-2 test also.  From my research, it seems like there is a lot of false positive antibody tests when it comes to HTLV.  I would recommend a PCR test instead to test for the actual antigen instead of the antibodies.

Can you describe these reddish round patches on your skin?  Maybe a photo of them if you can?

The only symptom I can match myself with yours is the fungus.  I don't have it on my toes, but around my genital area (scrotum) and anus.  It's slightly red in color (scrotum), it smells like yeast, and itches occasionally.  I had a scrape test and a candida antibody test to confirm this.  However, fluconazole/fungal creams do not get rid of it.  Your symptoms kind of remind me of Hepatitis B, but I'm no doctor.

My symptoms to date:

-Candida in genital area (confirmed by tests)
-white coated tongue (confirmed streptococus overgrowth)....this covers the entire top of my tongue; not the white lines on the side like yours.
-swollen lymph nodes in groin and armpits

These are the major symptoms that still persist.  During the first few weeks of my infection, I had a pain in my meatus that lasted for 10 weeks.  Had a cyscoptomy done, and they found that my prostate was inflamed.  Started on the exact same day when the candida presented itself.  Haven't been back to recheck my prostate after several antibiotics, but I believe I need to.  I also got 2 red, sore spots on my gums; one on the day my other symptoms started, and one 10 weeks after.  None since.  I still have a scar from the second one, but the doctor said it was nothing.  Herpes tests are all negative, including HSV-1.  Every once in a while, I have twitching muscles (mostly in my legs and shoulders), but it's not near as frequent as the beginning stages.

In conclusion, I don't have an answer for what's going on.  We'll just have to keep seeing new doctors and getting different opinions until we find out.  Hopefully, we can be treated for it and be cured.  Until then, please keep us posted on your test results and any symptom changes.

Best wishes.

Man Raven, I really appreciate your feedback and I also believe my symptoms could be Hep B or Candidiasis. I will push for another round of STD to get that out of the way, will try to add HTLV 1-2 and HPV-16...if I can ever get my PCP to refer me to an ID specialist.

My rash on my inner thighs are grouped together, with multiple red small circle spots while the ones on my back, shoulders and arms are more random bigger circle slightly red-pink patches. I will try to post pic of them in next few days.

I will pray that your symptoms go away Raven

Rocko

Raven. also wanted to add hon that for the last 4 months or so, I've tried to eat really well, lots of veggies and salads, daily supplements like oregano oil, chaga tea, olive leaf extract, multi-vitamin, drinking 10 glasses of water a day...doing everything I can to boost my immune system to fight whatever I'm dealing with but to no avail.

Still dealing with daily chronic symptoms: night sweats, extreme fatigue, sore throat, chills, hot head, toe fungus, white lines on side of tongue, rash...

I told my wife about the event and she has been extremely supportive (my only bright spot). She initially also believed that these symptoms were all in my head...or stress related...but once I started having toe fungus and body rash, I think she now realizes this is not just stress related symptoms happening.

OK so I took pics of my rash on my thighs and shoulder area but I'm not the most tekky person out there. I tried to copy/paste or drag the pics from my gmail account and dropped them on my desktop and tried to do the same but haven't figured out how to be able to post them on this thread.
Still here.  Stabbing ear pains no longer with me.  All I seem to be left with is chronic armpit sweating, I also now seem to be developing a permanent lump in my throat.
Creation-

That's good news.  I'm pretty sure a doctor will not be able to diagnose you based solely on the excessive sweating, but how's this lump?  Can you see it?  Maybe you can have a doctor look down your throat, and see what's going on.  I believe there are some other guys here in this thread that have complained about a lump in their throat also.  

Either way, I don't think the chronic sweating and the lump are reasons to believe you're going to die.  Keep going back to your doctors or get other opinions.  Chin up.  Good luck and best wishes.
I'm joining in.  February 1st, 2014 my nightmare started.  I am nearly certain I have contracted HIV.  My 12 tests disagree, though I still suffer physically and of course mentally.  I've taken seven 4th Generation tests, and five 3rd Generation tests and all of them have been conducted by a lab.  The only route I haven't tested with yet has been RNA.  I figure now what's the point for the RNA?  

I can't say the onslaught of what I thought was ARS was typical of what you read about on the internet...  For instance, I had chills but my temperature wasn't raised.  I never once saw my temperature reach over 99.1 yet I also had frequent night sweats.  I noticed my tongue was much more dry and metallic taste/smell.  My tongue appeared more white as well.  I noticed inflammation starting in my feet that moved into my forearms and hands.  Almost felt like a sunburn.  My hands and forearms were initially somewhat red, but that soon faded.  So I had the sunburn feeling in my forearms and hands but no significant redness appearance.  My gut started rumbling quite frequently as well and I initially had nausea just even thinking about food for a couple of days before it went away.  Toward the end of the 3 weeks my lymph nodes in my cervical chain on my neck, my armpits, and my groin had enlarged.  My anxiety was through the roof and I wasn't sleeping much if at all!  The initial symptoms lasted almost 3 weeks before other things started happening.

I started to notice my right hand/forearm was more numb and less sensitive to touch than my other forearm/hand.  Legs and arms went numb or fell asleep more easily than ever before just by simply bending my arms or crossing my legs.  My stools were full on loose or diarrhea with constipation and still are at 155 days, and my stomach gurgles and rumbles 24/7.  My stomach just never stops churning and making noise it seems!  I have constant throat gurgling too!  I am getting frequent twitching throughout my body, my tongue resembles geographic tongue, but I wake in the morning with a heavy white coating over top of it.  My sinuses seem stopped up constantly.  Joint pain especially when I try and run now which has never happened before.  It's bad, almost like I'm bolted together and all my hinges are coming undone.  I have random bouts of dizziness and tiredness now.  I have constantly gotten either a cold sore on my lip, or an ulcer inside my lip for 5 months now!  I've never felt so miserable in my life.  It baffles me what is going on with my body.  I have become obsessed.  I was never obsessed about anything!  Now this is all I think of day and night.  I wouldn't think about it if I just felt fine physically.  But I feel like crap!

The woman was West African.  It was protected vaginal sex.  Except I noticed a sore/abrasion on my shaft exactly in a spot that the condom wouldn't reach and it did penetrate her.  The place I went was dirty.  She was dirty.  And I really hate myself for stooping so darn low.  The abrasion must have happened from her grinding on me before the sex, or her giving my oral sex before vaginal and possibly cutting me with her tooth.  I'll never know how I got it, but I definitely saw it the next morning.  And then 1 week after all the craziness hit me.  I don't think I have the Chinese virus.  I think I have HIV.
hows everyone doing gentS?
Hi bunnyuk,

Some good days and some bad ones for me. Here's an update on my situation:

- I wasn't able to get referred to an ID specialist so that is frustrating. I live in Quebec but my PCP is in Ontario and health insurance doesn't cover ID specialist in another province and there is a waiting list of 14 months in the one location that provides an ID specialist in Quebec. It would be like living in one state and getting care in another state.

As far as my symptoms are concerned, some have either vanished or aren't as bad as before, some others are persistant or new.

- Night sweats: pretty much haven't had them the last few weeks.
- Chronic mild sore throat: Definitely not as bad as it was the first 3-4 months. Now it's more mucus issues.
- Chills/ sweats: pretty much gone also.The odd day, i'll get a reminder here and there.  
- My digestive issues or severe abdomen pain have pretty much disapeared. I still however have a lot of gas issues.
- Odd headache but certainly not as bad as they were.

As far as the new symptoms or the ones that persists:

- About 2 months ago, I've had this tight feeling appear in my muscles in the neck/throat area. Hard to say if my neck/throat is swollen or enlarge but it is annoying, especially when trying to sleep and I keep having the urge to try to massage that area.
- Still have the frequent need to urinate
- White lines on right side of tongue, slight white coating persists.
- Tiredness is still present.
- Rash on the inside of my thighs and the odd spots on shoulders/back area sre still present.
- Big toe fungus still present.
- I have gained back alot of my weight lost but muscle mass is not back.

I had cut down my alcohol consumption big time initially but had a few nights last few months were I went out drinking and noticed that I couldn't handle more than 5-6 drinks and felt like a shitbag the next day.

I had tested for HIV:

7 weeks: ELISSA NEG
12 weeks: Rapid test NEG
16 weeks: Rapid test NEG

Tested for the common STD's at 7 weeks : all NEG

I went back for another round of test at 21 weeks(5 months) on Monday and should get the results in a few weeks. My PCP is on vacation till August and hopping to be able to get a solution to be referred to an ID specialist to pursue other avenues ( assuming that my latest tests comes back NEG) like the following:
-HPV-16
-EBV
-HTLV 1-2
-Candidiasis
-CPPS
-Trichomoniasis
-Fungitell Test
-Parasites
-Granuloma
-Pelvic Floor Dyfunction
- Helicobacter Pylory
-Prostatis

May seem like a lot but I wanna leave no doubt that I've tried everything to understand what the hell I caught from that stripper and see if hopefully it's something that can be threated or will eventually leave on it's own.

To Raven:  I called you hon it one of my post cause I thought I had seen your profile identifying you as female...I apologise for that.

To all on this thread, keep your comments coming. In my perspective anyways, it's help me understand that I am not alone out there suffering with similar issues and I have been able to pick up a few possibilities of my symptoms issues based on your postings.

Like Raven has mentioned, all of us posting here had pretty much a low risk exposure and we are all males...Prostate related issues?

Will keep you posted and God bless you all,

Rocko
Hey, Rocko.  I'm still here.  For the most part, it sounds like you're feeling better.  Hope it continues to go that way.  

There's a guy named Vince_82_82_82 here (not sure if he's posted in this thread or not) that has very similar symptoms as you (and me), including the persistent fungal infection on the feet.  He's a good guy.  Look him up if you want to compare notes with him.

Was it you or your doctor who suggested the candida and Fungitell tests?  I've had both.  The candida antibody test came back positive, but the Fungitell test was negative.  It's a test that checks to see if a fungal infection is present in the bloodstream (you may have already known that).  Are they using a PSA to test for your prostate?  Please let us know what your test results are when you get them back.

And no worries on the 'hon' lol.  I noticed it, but thought it was just a typo haha.  All the best to you.
Nice to hear from you Raven

- Vince sent me a private message. We have been exchanging messages and you're right, he is a good guy. Wish him all the best.

- My PCP doesn't know much about infectious diseases. It was on one of your postings that I thought of candida and fungitell tests Doen't know how and when I will get to do those tests. One thing for sure, I will wait to get the results of my latest tests done last week before doing anything else.

- Same thing for prostate. I have no clue what type of test and who will do it. This is just another thing I will bring up to my PCP when he gets back from vacation and I go see him. I'm still in the dark about seeing an ID specialist so who knows when i'll be able to get those testes done.

But again, for me, first things first. Let's find out what my results will be from my latest tests.

Hope things are better on your side.

To all, there's 2 sites that i found talking about candida symptoms. Now take this info with a grain of salt. This might just be a money grabber. I myself have not tried this yet but I plan to if my latest tests results come back negative as expected.

http://www.****.com/candidasymptoms.htm

or

http://www.****.net/
This is to everyone. Not to barge in on this men"s conversation. But have you guys tried Lamisil cream for your feet? That is one thing. Also, there is a test other than the Fungitell test but it is used for genital type testing and isn't FDA approved but some of the labs in Europe use it. I would have to ask if the have it here in the U.S. I mean usually fungal infections of the hair skin and nails are Dermatophytes and can be cultured if needed including the yeast as well. Some strains of yeast are resistant to treatment. You can have a test done to see if it is one of those strains. If it is the doc can give you another type of anti fungal/yeast treatment. If you did have a fungus or yeast in the blood stream you would have a high fever and be very very sick and need urgent medical care. Then the prostate issue have you thought of prostatitis? A urologist would be better at that than a GP. If there is flu like symptoms or pain it could be bacterial and long term (4-6 weeks) of antibiotics may be needed to clear it up. Although if not bacterial they may have some other ways to help with this. Any other questions? Hope this helps.
mkh9

Hi mkh9, you are not barging in on a men's conversation. It just happens that on this topic, the people suffering similar symptoms after a similar exposure are men.

Your input and advice is most welcomed! Thanks!

Rocko
Well, I was sort of kidding. But I do want to help. If you have any questions let me know.
mkh9
I'm still alive.  I have still have chronic armpit sweating and that is about it for my symptoms.  Not a good situation to be in at all.  Waiting for something bad to happen that may or may not give a clue as to what I caught from some frigging lube!
Thanks for the info, mkh9.  I've personally tried Lamisil, along with some other gels for my fungal infection, as well as Fluconazole tablets for months.  None of them seem to clear up my infection.

You mentioned that there are some strains of yeast that are resistant to standard treatment...mine was cultured as candida albicans, but do you know if there are different strains of candida albicans; some that are resistant to treatment?  Or are you talking about a totally different type of yeast, not related to candida albicans?

I kind of figured my Fungitell test would come back negative since it specifically tests for fungus in the bloodstream, and I know one would be very ill if this were the case, which I am not.

I have seen a urologist about my prostatitis.  They found that my prostate was inflamed (this was a couple years ago), so they prescribed me antibiotics for 3 weeks, but I never had my prostate checked again to see if it was still inflamed.  At the time my prostate was inflamed, it was when I started having the symptoms of the pain in my meatus on penis and the itchy anus/genitals.  Do you think it could be a fungal infection of the prostate, rather than bacterial?  And if so, do you think since it is stemming from my prostate, that that's the reason my treatment plans for the fungal infection have failed so far?

And, like Rocko said, you're not barging in.  All information is welcomed.  Thanks!
Well, first I was referring to different types of Candida (non albicans strains) that can be resistant. However, Candida albicans is often resistant to Fluconazole the oral med you took. It can be resistant to any of the antibiotics ending in Azole. It a particular class of antibiotics. It sometimes is sensitive and sometimes not. If they don't do antibiotic sensitivity testing (which they don't normally do) they won't know. It isn't standard testing. As for Terbinifine topical most strains of C. albicans are sensitive to it. However, I wonder if you didn't have a mixed infection with something else. If not it could be that this strain was only intermediately or partially sensitive to the drug. Although "athletes foot" is easy to pickup if you don't clear the source of the contamination such as the shower or shoes, sock, the gym floor, or where ever it is coming from. You could clear it up and go step on a floor where the yeast is and get it right back. So, hard to say on that. As for the prostate if you took oral fluconazole for that I bet it was resistant to that and you didn't get cleared of it. They do have oral Terbinafine (which I have taken too for other fungi) and it may actually help more. But all these anti-fungals are very hard on the liver so no drinking alcohol while you are on them. Also, If you didn't wash your hands after applying the anti-fungal to your feet or didn't wash them well enough or touched a surface that had the yeast on it and say went to the bathroom or whatever and touched your penis you may have gotten it on there. I would just use warm soapy water to wash nothing harsh.  Did your doctor say anything about applying a topical to the meatus area? I doubt that they would. Instead I bet that it is irritated. So, if you still have prostatitis it may not have cleared up if you took fluconiazole. Let me know what you used?
mkh9
Also, the itcy anal/genitals could be a yeast/fungal infection too. Don' t know if it came from the prostate or the foot infection. Do you still have the itching? Do you have a rash or what does it look like? Jock itch is a fungus (usually what they call Tinea cruris or a dermatophyte) so things in that area generally are. So, I wonder also if you don't have two things. Maybe they missed one.  But since you had a yeast then it may be only a yeast. It makes me wonder if you don't have low immunity. I don't have your original post. But how is your HIV status and your CD4 count? I'm not saying I think you have HIV (everyone is so touchy when you mention it), I'm just wondering if  there is any reason that you know of for the yeast infection to be on your tongue too? Did they confirm the oral yeast? Did you take a lot of antibiotics before this? taking a few antibiotics can wipe out your normal bacteria  and give you a yeast infection. In which case I would take a probiotic. This is a different subject but if it applies we can talk about it later. I see from a past post on this list that you did try fluconazole was that cream/ointment in addition to the pills? So it sounds like the yeast was resistant to the Fluconazole. So if you still have this you would need a different med. I'm not sure if you can use topical Terbinifine on the anal area. Sorry sometimes I write and think at the same time. I hope this didn't get confusing. LOL.
mkh9

Hi mkh9,

As far as your HIV concern, if I'm not mistaking, we all have had multiple negative results well past 3 month timeframe. I think I'm most likely the closest one with my last negative test done at 16 weeks post exposure.

Also, most if not all have had low or no risk exposure, either protected sex or unprotected oral.

And yes, there are a few on this post that are extremely concerned and convinced, no matter how many negative results they have had, that they have contracted HIV.
Disregard my last comment...thought it was a general question to all but reread and saw that it was a specific question to raven. My bad
No problem It was good summary!
mkh9
Thanks for commenting back, mkh9.  First off, HIV status=negative.  CD4 count=1,500+.  Immunoglobulin test=normal.  So, as far as low immunity goes, I'm pretty sure it's not that.  I also still hardly ever get sick, even when those around me are.

The only oral that I took for my candida infection was Fluconazole that I remember, along with 2-3 different types of topicals (Lamisil was one of them).  None of them eliminated the candida.  So, do you think that it's possible that it was, in fact, the candida that caused my prostatitis rather than a bacteria?  Keep in mind that I started having anal/genital itching and the pain in my meatus the exact same day as each other.  I'm going to look into Terbinafine.

I think there is some confusion about my tongue/mouth symptoms.  I do not have yeast in my mouth.  Instead, they cultured a swab test from my toungue, and it came back as streptococus.  Now, I realize that candida and streptocucus both live in 'normal' ranges in our gut flora but, for some reason, they are not being kept in check and are overgrowing.  So, I'm thinking it's a candida infection of the prostate that this is all stemming from, or something else altogether that's causing my gut flora to overgrow.

The only prostatitis symptom I still have is that usually when I finish up urinating, I still have urine that will come out in small amounts when I try to force it out.  It only comes out in small streams when I do this, but then I'll push again (flex my bladder), and more will come out.  I no longer have the pain in my meatus; that only lasted about 10 weeks in the beginning.

Note:  I do not have a foot infection; only in the genital/anal area.  However, I also believe that it is in my intestines because my stools have changed since this all started, and if I don't take my OTC meds (oil of oregano, molbdenum), I lose my appetite and get more easily constipated (I'm always a bit constipated, but it gets worse if I don't take these supplements).  I also take a probiotic every day for the last 2 years.  The only visible sign of my candida infection was on my scrotum.  It turned a bright red.  But it went almost completely away while I was on Fluconazole, and now the OTC supplements are keeping it from being visible.  It still ithces occasionally though.  If it weren't for the itching, there would actually be no noticeable symptoms, but I know it's still there due to my scrape test and candida anitbody test, as well as the fact that it comes back if I discontinue my OTC supps.

I just re-read both your comments, and I believe I answered all the questions.  Please let me know if I missed anything.  Again, I really appreciate your input.  Do you get your knowledge from the internet, or are you in the medical field?
Firstly, I'm not a doctor but I'm a clinical and research microbiologist. Right now I'm not working due to several injuries. It would take me a while to go into my problems so I won't bother you with that now. But, I do read on the internet too to find things that I need to reference but I also have 20 years experience. So it is a combo of knowledge. My background doesn't involve that much dealing with "'patients" since we work mostly in the lab but our knowledge does include patient histories as part of our training just like doctors have to do. So I don't know everything (who does) and I do know alot about the bacteria, fungi yeast, parasites, viruses and how they are transmitted, act in and on the body, their treatment, for humans, their biochemistry , toxins, molecular, and serology tests and the physiology etc.  I am a bit confused about what you just said so I have to take it apart a bit. So what symptoms do you have now? Just the yeast or itching in the genital/anal area? Forgetting the past. I don't think you have an over abundance of normal bacterial flora in your intestines or throat or anywhere rather there is a pathogen causing you trouble. It sounds like a yeast since you have tested positive for it. I normally would think a dermatophyte which is a fungus that infects hair skin and nails. It is hard since there were so many posts on here to go back and try to make sense of what went on with you so best to go forward. Since your OTC meds are keeping the infection at bay because when you go off of them it comes back then these are "baceteriostatic" or they are not killing it off but keeping it from growing. So it is there but not getting worse or growing. I'm really surprised that your immune system is so good yet you have a yeast infection. But it is not impossible. My other question was were you on a number of antibiotics as this can knock out your normal intestinal bacteria and then yeast can take over in there or elsewhere. But on the skin it shouldn't really matter. Yes I thought you said in one of your earlier posts that you had oral yeast. I guess you were replying to someone and that got mixed up. So you never had oral thrush. I thought you said you were treated with Fluconazole for the prostatitis? Did the doctor not treat you for the prostatitis at all and was just giving you the fluconazole for the yeast on the genital and anal areas or why did he give you Fluconazole tablets? I'm trying to clear up what is going on. I don't know for sure that the yeast is causing your prostatitis it could be bacterial still or just inflammation. Did you have a urine culture done? Does it hurt when you urinate or just have trouble getting it all out? Is that unusual for you? That is normal for older people. What kind of strep did they find on your tongue? Was it group A strep or beta strep something that was treatable or normal oral bacteria? Why are you taking the probiotic was it because you were taking Fluconazole? I don't think you need to take the probiotic any more unless you go back on another antibiotic or oral antifungal. You may be disrupting your normal flora with too much of the types of bacteria in the probiotic. A few months of these are fine. I mean if you are just eating yogurt that is a small amount but the real probiotics can really change your normal gut flora.  You may want to try to eat more whole grains and fruits and veg. Much less meat to help with the constipation. I think we are both on the same page now. It does sound like the external infection is a yeast since they found it in the lab. I'm not convinced that the fluconizole has totally cleared you of it and the candida may be low level resistant to it. So, you may need a different topical or different treatment to get rid of it.
hope this helps.
mkh9
Yes, I realize that since this thread has over 200 posts now, it's very difficult and time consuming to go back and try to find information.  We're pretty close to being on the same page, but let me answer your questions in case there is still some cunfusion.  I think it would be easier if I listed all of my current symptoms to you:

1.  Candida infection of the genital/anal area; and possibly intestines although not confirmed (this was diagnosed via scrape culture of scrotum and candida antibody test).

2.  Streptococcal overgrowth on tongue and roof of mouth (diagnosed via swab culture)

3.  Constipation; loose, flaky stools without diarrhea; occasional small white specks in stool; stools are lighter in color than they were before infection; occasional small amounts of blood in stool, light red in color (stool sample came back normal, although I'm not familiar with stool tests and do not know exactly what they test for)

4.  Swollen, tender lymph nodes in groin and armpits

5. Excessive armpit sweating

6.  Ringing in ears (mostly left ear) that comes and goes

Now, let me answer your questions.  I was on a couple rounds of antibiotics in the beginning, although it's been almost 2 years since I have taken an antibiotic, and I took a probiotic along with them.  I should add that the candida overgrowth started BEFORE taking any antibiotics.  I was not treated with Fluconazole due to the prostatitis; the Fluconazole was prescribed due to the candida infection on my scrotum that would not go away.  I was prescribed a different antibiotic for my prostatits, although I do not remember the name of the prescription.  I had 2 different urine cultures done; both which came back negative for any bacterial infection.  The first culture came back positive for yeast, but the second one did not.  It does not hurt to urinate; it only seems to take a bit of extra pressure to get the last bit of urine out.  Note I am 30 years old.  I cannot remember what type of Streptococcus was found on my tongue.  I just remember the doctor saying it is a normal bacteria found in the body, but there was an overgrowth of it.  Which type of Strep would that be?  I'm taking the probiotic to help keep my normal flora in check (just from what I read on the internet), but if you think maybe I should stop taking it for a while, I can stop and see if there are any changes.  As far as my diet, I eat very healthy.  I eat whole grains in the form of oats, and all of my carbs are complex; not simple sugars.

I believe I answered all the questions and, hopefully, we are on the same page now.  There is some conflicting theories online about whether or not candida can cause generalized swollen lymph nodes.  What do you think?  And keep in mind that it was not only candida that was detected, but streptococcus too; both of which are normal gut flora as long as they're in normal ranges.  Is there anything you would suggest I do?  What doctor to see?  I'm looking for a way forward, but I don't know which way to go.

Thanks for all your help.
I just got back from getting my blood drawn and have to eat lunch. I read your message and want to go over some things. I'll write back shortly.
mkh9
I'm not sure how much help I can be but I will tell you some things that I think regarding your last post.

1. Candida albicans infection. Is chronic and confirmed by culture and antibody test. I think to get rid of it you may have to take a oral (not azole) antifungal. So, no fluconazole. I think it is possibly resistant to the fluconazole. What is causing the chronic C. albicans I don't know.  One thing I think you should do if you haven't yet is get tested for diabetes and get your thyroid check (TSH) because if you have diabetes you would have lowered immunity and also have excessive sweating under the arm pits. The focal sweating under the arms could just be stress or could be also genetic that came out now. But the thyroid and diabetes can cause this too.
2. Strep swab culture to tongue and roof of mouth. I guess you don't know what type of streptococcus they found. Since they cultured it it may have been a pathogen (beta strep) instead of normal flora strep or why would they culture it? So, this could be a reason for the swollen lymph nodes not the yeast. That is my thinking on this. But do you still have it? May want to recheck this or how does your mouth and throat feel and look now? The ringing in the ear(s) could be normal  or it could be a sign of an ear infection stemming from the strep from the throat. Do you feel any ear pressure or pain down the side of the neck from the ear or stabbing pain or anything like that? Any nasal congestion? You could get the ear pressure checked by a doctor. If it was normal strep and just an overgrowth of normal oral flora strep I don't feel they should have treated you for that. So, I don't know.  This is strange to me. FYI Dr. Bhupinder Kaur on Medhelp answered someones question that had yeast on the genitals and had swollen lymph nodes and said any infection can cause swollen lymph nodes. However, I have read generally if it is a skin infection only and not in the blood or else where it shouldn't. That is why I'm thinking there is a bacterial infection going on or other problem.
3.constipation, no diarrhea, white specs in the stool, some possible blood. light colored stool. Firstly, if the red in the stool is not food you need to get the stool checked for occult blood ASAP and/or a colonoscopy.  Blood in the stool even at 30 is something you need to get checked. Also, the white specs can be nothing and common but that with the bleeding if that is what it is could be a slight blockage. Also, do you have hemrroids? They can cause bleeding. The white spec could be parasitic , have you been out of the country or had a lot of fleas around from an animal? I don't think so but just thought I would ask. The gall bladder makes bile that colors the stool a dark color and the white specs may be a sign that something is blocking bile to reach the small intestine or liver is not producing enough bile. So, you may need to see a GI doctor for this.
4.How long have you had the swollen glands in the groin and the arms and how large are the lymph nodes? One of the symptoms of chronic prostatitis is difficulty emptying the bladder, or difficulty starting to urinate or weak urine stream others are pain with urination and smelly urine. But I don't think you have to have them all. It is usually bacterial and requires long term antibiotics such as 4-6 weeks or more.

Do you have a good family practice doctor? They could do the occult blood fecal test. But, it is not that accurate only about 50%. So, that is why I'm thinking you may want to see a GI doc if you really have blood in the stool.
Then for the yeast and strep problem. A family practice doc can check the ear pressure and the tongue, oral cavity for strep again. Also, can give you a different anti-fungal for the yeast. But then coordinate with the urologist on the prostatitis. It is a lot. I am just giving suggestions. You really need some testing again. I'm sure you are quite tired of it all.
I don't think you need the probiotic until you are back on antibiotics too.

One other question is have you had a complete blood count done? If so was everything normal? You may want to get another one done to see if you were bleeding if your hemoglobin was low. Also, if you had a bacterial infection your white cells would be up above the normal range. Any abnormal cells seen would be reported too that would rule out any other odd thing going on.
hope this helps,
mkh9
What is this unknown virus call? Any updates from china?
Thanks, mkh9.

I've already had a diabetes test, which was negative.  I know that all of my symptoms are due to my exposure, and since you can't 'spread' diabetes, I knew it would come back negative anyway.  I can get my thyroid checked out, but, like I said, I'm convinced that this is not a self-acquired condition.  I will look into it though.  

I still have the white-coated tongue (streptoccus).  No, I don't know what type it is; I just know the doctor said it is a normal bacterial flora found in the body.

I've also read, like you, that candida infections of the skin only will generally not cause swollen lymph nodes.  But if I had a candida/streptococcus overgrowth in my gut (throughout my digestive tract), do you think it could cause swollen lymph nodes then?

I've already had a stool sample test.  It came back negative.  I don't know how comprehensive the stool test was, but they did tell me that they checked for blood as well.  This really only happens about once a month, if that, and it's usually only a very small amount on the toilet paper that I notice.  Yes, I do occasionally have hemheroids, espeically once I started getting constipated, so I usually just chalk it up to that.  My tests were done through a GI doctor, and she had nothing to say about the light colored stool or the white specs when I mentioned them.

I've had the swollen lymph nodes for about 2 years now.  None of them are so large that they are visible to the naked eye, but the ones in the groin are very pronounced if I feel them.  The ones in the armpit I can feel if I lay a certain way, but I have to really feel for them to feel the bump.  I've had the typical response from experts around here that "If you start feeling around for lymph nodes that you haven't felt around for before, you're sure to feel them since you're looking for them".  Well, I may have never felt for them before, but I know for a fact that they are not what they used to be before I had my exposure.  The ones in the groin differ in size, but the largest ones are probably almost a centimeter across the longest point (bean shaped).  They are mobile and tender.  Do you think that chronic prostatitis could cause the swollen lymph nodes?  And does it neccessarily have to be a bacterial pathogen, or could it be a fungal infection of the prostate?

I've had a few CBC tests done over the past 2 years.  My latest one was probably around this January.  I don't understand everything they test for and what all the numbers mean, but they told me everything was normal.

Again, I appreciate all the help/suggestions.
Yan77,

I believe the title of this thread is a bit misleading.  No one knows if it is, in fact, a virus, and a lot of people here have different symptoms, so not everyone could be suffering from the same pathogen.  I know it's a long read, but when you have the time, read through this thread in its entirety.

As far as the "HIV-like virus in China", which I assume you're referring to, I've read all the literature I could find on it online, and I don't believe that I, for one, am dealing with this pathogen, given my symptoms.
Glad that the GI doc already knows about the white specs and condition of the stool. I still worry about the blood. Keep and eye on that. I knew a 40 year old guy that was an athlete and scientist and he had some little blood in his stool and they said it was just hemrroids and he turned having colon cancer grade III. So ever since then I am very cautious of someone having a couple of drops of blood in the stool. It is scary. I have a family history of colon cancer too. I go in every 5 years and get a colonoscopy. So far I have been negative. So, it worries me more than some people to hear of any blood in the stool.
Glad you tested for diabetes. The TSH was just for the sweating. It may be stress or genetic.
I also suddenly developed a white coated tongue last year. It is frustrating. The doctor told me too it is normal flora and so I just scrape it off several times a day. You don't need meds for this. Mine started after taking a certain medication and I stopped it but the growth never went away.
Try not to be so convinced your problem is 100% due to your exposure. It may be or it may be coincidence. Perhaps it is. Either way it is there and you want to be rid of it.
At this point I don't know what is causing your swollen lymph nodes. It is an infection somewhere. Since you have had problems with the prostate and the most prominent glands are in the groin area it may be there. I still think it may be bacterial not yeast but if you had the yeast in prostate it is possible to be the cause of the swollen lymph nodes but is it likely you have a yeast infection up there maybe. Since you have it in the anal area it is possible. I can't rule that out at this point. Have you ever had a  brown rash  or brownish red on your hands and/or feet? Muscle aches or fatigue, fever? Earlier in this infection? Just asking.  The swollen lymph nodes under the arms are less of a problem since they are small. The ones that are more active are the ones in the groin area. I think chronic protatitis could cause the swollen lymph nodes if you had an infection that needs treatment. But perhaps we are missing something.
mkh9
Viewing 201-236 comments: