Infectious Diseases Community
Viral meningitis?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

Viral meningitis?

Last days of may 2013 I got really sick, at first had a really awful headache, pain behind the eyes soon fever, not too high, sleepiness(i was sleeping for about 14 hours a day or more), pretty soon I had a very stiff neck and pain on my spine when I was standing or walking, photophobia, I passed out once(the type when everything goes black, and you end up waking up on the floor). These symptoms developed and gradually disappeared within 10 days without any help( I took pain killers, they didn't offer much help).
After that for a week I was pretty good, like nothing happened.
Then I had a pretty rough day and everything started. Extreme dizziness, feeling that I have no energy at all, going to the bathroom and feeling that I did an enormous effort, my heart pumping and I needed to rest just because I used the stairs. Troubles concentrating, depression(only some days), mood swings, two times I had ear ringing, when I had too much of an effort i almost collapsed, occasional tingling on hands or muscle "pain" hands or legs. for a month or so, I had a weird feeling that it is difficult to breath, like I had no muscle to elevate my chest. I went once to hospital, and to two different GP, also I got a heart checkup because of the intense heart pulse when I did something simple. Everything came negative, healthy as a horse as far as they told me. Noone even suggested viral meningitis for two months now that I am still extremely tired. Until I proposed it the last time and they told me I would be dead but okay, I could consult a neurologist.
So, the question: before I go to a neurologist, I should be prepared, cause apparently noone seems to be professional enough to check out all the possibilities(they tell me that the symptoms above, which are present two months now, getting better, some disappeared, but still I try to rest, are a resust of anxiousness, or maybe something psychological and not something physical even though noone tested meningitis)could all those things mean something else than meningitis, and now I am on recovery? how long does recovery take? Am I crazy to believe I went through meningitis at home, okay yes I was in pain, but I was patient and slowly I saw improvement back then, so how should I know I  had to go to a hospital because afterwards noone would listen what had happened? I searched the net, dying from meningitis is a case but most of the cases don't even take medication, so the GP talked nonsense.
What should I do? Wait? all the other exams showed nothing, we are left with the possibility of meningitis back then, or I am stressed out as the doctor said, which is not a case for me since everything is fine for me all this time.
I could use your opinion, and mainly an estimation of how long the recovery of viral meningitis take, maybe I shouldn't consult other doctors for now and simply wait?

Thank you soooo much!
Did you had unprotected sex 1 - 4 weeks before the onset of symptoms? If yes, I would suggest an HIV test.

Good luck.
No i did not, i am married and no so sexually active, about to break up actually. Last time a suspicious intercourse happened was two years ago, i should have had a test possibly but my blood examinations were extra fine- fine white cells count etc. Also no doctor thought i should have tests for STDs. So is there any other possibility than meningitis?
"a suspicious intercourse happened was two years ago". if you mean unprotected sex - did you test for HIV after this incident? if not, you can do it now.
I probably have cause i was recently in a hospital and the did tests i was never informed which only that they showed nothing. Yes unprotexted sex. It was a good suggestion, i will test for all stds just in case. I read tha hiv can cause also meningiitis after all.
How did you go with your Hiv test ??  I have similar symptoms ..o
if you are now with neck pain headache and fever or photophobia or sth GO TO A HOSPITAL.
i haven't had it just yet, I will go to a doctor to perscribe it. After all if it is hiv it will be there in 10 days that doctors will get back from holidays :P
I will go first to a neurologist, it is more possible it was viral meningitis and not from hiv virus