Infectious Diseases Community
What happens if raw meat comes in contact with an open cut?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

Will the raw meat infect the wound?
Avatar dr f tn
How are you? There are many factors to consider in determining possible infection such as the size, depth, or location of the wound, how long did you have the wound, your medical history , overall health, as well as the type of raw meat you mentioned.  Infection from raw meat is unlikely with wound care such as washing or application of topical antibacterial ointment to the open cut.If swelling, pain, or pus is present, you may need to have this checked.  Hope this helps. Take care and do keep us posted.
Yes that helped , it was hamburger an now in between my index an middle finger is swollen  redness an throbbing , I did wash with peroxide an have it covered . Any other things I should be aware of ? Thank you
Hi, The previous doctor(s) are not on this site any more. I am the community leader now and am a clinical microbiologist. The peroxide should have cleaned out and disinfected the wound. If you don't have any other problems with it I would continue to watch it and put peroxide  a few times a day. Topical antibiotic if needed. If it looks good and heals well (no pain, swelling, as said above) you have nothing to worry about.
mkh9