Infectious Diseases Community
What to expect with C-diff, septic shock, ARDS, etc

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

My dad is 73 y/o in SICU with C-diff, septic shock, ARDS and DIC.  He is currently on a breathing machine for almost 2 weeks.  He is also receiving kidney dialysis.  He has not urinated in almost 2 weeks and he has a partial lung collaspe along with fluid on the lungs.  He has an irreruptable bowel and currently with a bag.  He also has a large growth on his colon which at this point is unknown what it is.  He is currently running a slight fever and on Fentinoyl for pain.  There are been no reponse when he opens his eyes.  His blood pressure has been mostly down however coming up slightly.  They had to remove some pic lines because of all the infection in his body which is weeping out his skin.  He is swollen however the swolleness has went down slightly.   The ICU said he is holding on.  I have been asking questions but I am not sure if I am asking the right questions.  I certainly do not want him to suffer and now ICU is stating that you can only be on the breathing machine for a certain amount of time and a possible trach will be needed but there are high risks.   I am searching for anyone with information and/or who can help me to ask what questions I should be asking.  I have done some research but what I read is not good.  Thank you for taking the time and reading.