Why won't my mrsa wounds scab over or grow new skin?
I was diagnosed with a staph infection, and I was prescribed bactrim for 10 days. It wasn't enough to knock it out completely though, and I went to another doctor who put me on doxycycline and mupirocin ointment. I have these wounds on my inner thighs, and under my arm from where my underwire irritated my skin and caused trauma to skin. They are extremely painful and I was just wondering why they aren't scabbing over? Couldnt find information online about it at all. The one on my leg has been open for 4 weeks and the one under my arm 2 weeks. The one on my leg isn't painful anymore, and seems to be closing in from the bottom layers up, but, like I said, it is still open.

Also, I noticed tons of people on this subject like to take over other peoples thread to get answers for their simular problem, please make your own post to do this. Don't post on mine, I'm looking for answers, not to hear about other's simular problems.
Hi and sorry you have this infection. We are not doctors on here but I am a microbiologist and can give you some advice. This can happen with MRSA. But, I wonder if you are diabetic? This would make it harder for you to fight the infection. Also, problems with circulation would take longer to heal or if the antibiotic isn't working. If the wound is deep it may be healing from the inside upward or out. Did they do an antibiotic sensitivity test to determine which antibiotic the MRSA was sensitive to? Are you on oral meds not just topicals? These are the first considerations.
I think the healing should be done by 3 months but you should have seen some improvement by now or I would see an infectious disease specialist. But if you haven't been tested for diabetes you should be and make sure you have no problems with circulation. Keep walking around and staying active. It is possible that mupirocin isn't working. There are some strains that are resistant to both mupirocin and doxycyclin. So this is not impossible. That is why they should do a sensitivity test to check for that. If it was sensitive to start with it should be okay. I am thinking the would is healing from the inside out.
take care,
mkh9