Infectious Diseases Community
about Streptococcus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

about Streptococcus

I understand that Streptococcus couse Strep throat but I hear that he can cause problem in the body skin
and then is call Predator bacteria.
I heard too that it can cause problem in the heart and Joints (An autoimmune disease)- what is happend and
we speak about the same bactria?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Group A Streptococcus (GAS) bacteria is usually found in the throat and on the skin. It an be asymptomatic or may present with illnesses such as "strep throat,", rheumatic fever, kidney damage or impetigo. You are right in saying that  these bacteria can also occasionally cause severe and even life-threatening diseases such as in the case of "invasive GAS diseases" - necrotizing fasciitis and streptococcal toxic shock syndrome. This link may help: http://www.medicinenet.com/streptococcal_infections/article.htm
Take care and best regards.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Take care and best regards.

Thank you very much