Infectious Diseases Community
cmv, ebv, and mono

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

cmv, ebv, and mono

I tested negative for monospot in office but positive for ebv (low EA, high everything else).  My first question is...What exactly does the monospot test for?   I'm also unclear on exactly what mono is.  Is it a disease, virus, or symptom?  Mono, epstein barr, and cmv seem to be used interchangeably.  Do I also need  to be tested for cmv?   Also, is the ebv contagious if the early antigen is very low?  From the interpretation chart on my blood work I'm in the convalescent phase?  What does this mean.  I've been avoiding kissing my family so I don't get them sick, and my 10 year old is mad at me because she can't have any kisses.
It tests for mononucleosis usually caused by Epstein Barr virus. You can be positive for the Epstein Barr virus  It is a virus and usually you get swollen lymph nodes in the neck area, bad sore throat, very tired, sometimes swollen spleen. This will last for about 2-3 months. Then once you get over it then you won't get it again but you can still be a carrier at times and infect other people. CMV can also cause Mono but usually you get that as a child and most people have been exposed to it and have antibodies to CMV. By the last part of your message it sounds like you had a recent infection and have developed antibodies to it. You will be infectious for a couple of months. After that you can still be infective towards others when the virus (which lives in your cells) breaks out. Yes you can be contagious if the early antigen is low.
so mono is a condition/group of symptoms caused by ebv/cmv?  Kinda like a cold isn't caused by a virus named cold.  I've figured out that I can go around older kids and adults.  I don't know, however, how young of kids/babies can I take care of, and should I avoid the immuno-compromised and the elderly?  I assume most adults have the antibodies but could a weakened immune systen cause a reactivation?  My only symptoms were worsened fatigue, ear infection, and swolen abdomen.  However my abdominal pain is very low and the dr said my spleen didn't seem tender or swolen,
Yes you are right. 95% of people have antibodies to Ebstein Barr virus by around 40 years old. Right now while you are still infectious I wouldn't kiss anyone that is immunocompromised or anyone under 40. So, children are still able to get it. It is really hard to avoid though and you will be able to transmit it in the future even when you don't have symptoms any more. Although it is easier to tranmit while you still have early antigen.. It is kind of like Herpes cold sores almost everyone has been exposed but they don't all have cold sores. Ebstein Barr virus and CMV are in the Herpes family.  Glad your symptoms are subsiding.
mkh9