Infectious Diseases Community
constant throat clearing issue after bacterial infection in throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

White male 44, non-smoker, about 30 lbs overweight, suffer from slight hypertension and take benicar and zetia for my chlolesteral which is also slightly elevated. Last June of 2010 I came down with some sort of a bacterial throat/tonsil infection and it took a trip to my ENT to cure it. My GP prescribed 5 day Zmax antibiotic which had no effect. After a coule weeks I called my ENT and scheduled an appt as my tonsils were still sore and generally I had an annoying sore throat that wouldn't go away. I saw my ENT and he did a throat scope and precribed me prilosec for possible GERD, another more powerful Antiboitic, cefdinir, 20 days worth and that seemed to work as I finally got rid of the sore throat. Since then I have an annoying symptom that is worse some days than others. I have the constant need to clear my throat of light (non-colored phlegm). Not really a cough although once in a while I will have the need to hack, and this only slightly productive with minute quantities of mucous coming out of my throat, but it definitely is in my throat. It is driving me nuts especially since I suffer from allergies in the spring, it has been really bad lately. I am also thinking it could be the Benicar I take for my high bp. But I had been on the is med a year before I got sick last year and I was fine. I am also thinking it somehow has to do with the infection I had in my throat last year and this is an underlying problem still. I know the slightest irritation of my throat drives me nuts and really bothers me almost like I have damaged my throat somehow as it seems way too sensitive now. I guess it's time to go back to the ENT. Any input is appreciated.