Infectious Diseases Community
diet

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

diet

what is good diet to rabbits
carrots?
Rabbits are designed to eat grass, plus a bit of bark and other tough materials. You should give your rabbit unlimited amount of hay and water as this forms the basis of a healthy diet.

Nibbling hay for hours every day reduces boredom and behavioural problems with most rabbits. Chewing strands of hay exercises the teeth - the grinding movement is essential for dental health and helps maintain healthy gut movement. This is why we feel hay is vital for any rabbit, even if you choose a good rabbit food which is labelled as nutritionally complete.

Commercially available foods make feeding rabbits easier, these may be convenience foods, but chosen carefully and used sensibly.

You can feed your rabbit varied selection of greens and vegetables every single day; plus a small amount of good quality mix or pellets. This is undoubtedly the most natural way to feed your pet rabbit

I feed my rabbit chunks of carrot, broccoli, herbs like mint, parsley etc, Banana, cauliflower, cabbage / broccoli / Cauliflower stalks, plus a commercially available food and fresh water and hay daily. The food and vegetables can be fed frequently once your rabbit is used to them.

There are also various treats marketed for rabbits ranging from milk-based yoghurt drops to sticks of cereals / grains. My rabbit goes mad for the milk-based yoghurt drops and if you leave chocolate on the sofa, he will jump up and eat this before you have a chance to get it away from him.

When I started to introduce fresh food, I was advised the following from my Vet.
* Introduce one at a time, in small quantities at first
* Build up gradually; aim to feed a selection every day
* Keep your rabbit's vaccinations up to date, especially if you're out collecting weeds!
* Grass is brilliant, but it needs to be a decent length - not lawn clippings
* Don't pick greens/weeds from polluted verges or where dogs frequently foul

Things that I have tried on my rabbit, some he likes others he won’t eat for example if I cut up a normal size carrot and give this to him, he won’t eat it. But if I get the little carrots, he will go nuts over them and they will be gone in seconds it seems like.

Herbs: Basil, Coriander, Mint, Parsley, he wont eat Rosemary.

Vegetables: Spring greens, Broccoli (including leaves), Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Carrots and carrot tops, Cauliflower leaves, Celery, Green peppers, Pea pods, Radish tops, Sweet corn, Spinach and kale may be given in small quantities

Other: Clover, Dandelion greens and flowers

Fruits: (one daily; fresh or dried - one tablespoon per 2kg body weight) Apple, Banana, Pineapple, Melon, Peach, Pear, Strawberries, Raspberry leaves

I was also told don’t feed your rabbit lettuce as this is too high in water content and they can’t digests this easily.