Infectious Diseases Community
do these sound like hiv symptoms?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

do these sound like hiv symptoms?

about 2 months ago i had protected anal sex with another male, not sure of his hiv status.  i'm worried that i could have gotten infected somehow, ex. condom broke.  i also ejaculated while inside him but the condom was on.  a few weeks later i broke out with hives, my face got all swollen and my throat felt swollen too.  i never really experienced anything like this before, but i think it could have possibly been from the food i had ate.  a few weeks after my encounter i began feeling really tired for no reason throughout the day.  i began looking up hiv symptoms and ever since then i've been getting worse.  i would really hope that all the symptoms i'm about to list are from my extreme anxiety, but idk..  i began getting these mosquite bite like spots on my arm and ankles that were incredibly itchy.  they passed after a few days though..  then i began getting random rashes on my chest that lasted maybe a few minutes.  my skin just got red, no bumps or anything.  i would itch it and it would get even more red and hot to the touch.  i also started suffering a sore throat that would last maybe an hour or two, but go away.  i've had a few zits and stuff pop out here and there on my back.   the rashes on my chest wouldn't last more than a day.  i also had hive like bumps on my elbows.  2 months after my encounter these few minute itchy rashes on my chest come and go.  a month and 2 weeks after my encounter i went to my doctor for a physical checkup and blood work, but i've heard that they dont check for hiv.  he just told me my vitamin D count was really low. he checked my lymph nodes and everything and it was all fine.  i'm also worried because when i use a flashlight to light up my mouth/throat it looks like i have pharyngitis and the roof of my mouth is a little white.  i honestly think i'm just overreacting but any thoughts? i haven't had any fevers or anything thank god.  when i was at the doctor my blood pressure was really high but i was just really nervous in the moment that he might discover some symptoms on his own.  any thoughts?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Symptoms of HIV are usually nonspecific and not a reliable way to diagnose HIV infection. There are many conditions that may cause the same symptoms like mononucleosis, viral hepatitis, other sexual transmitted infections,  viral hepatitis and even stress and anxiety.  To rule this out, it is best that you see a doctor who can evaluate you for HIV and test for HIV antibodies as well as rule out the differentials. However, the HIV antibody test only works after the infected person's immune system develops antibodies to HIV. It is best to do this  test after the  "window period"  of usually around 3 months. Take care and do keep us posted.