Infectious Diseases Community
lice

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

lice

I'm really frustrated, to the point that I cry. My daughter has had lice for 2 years, I've tried EVERYTHING. I wash her hair every day. I go strand by strand taking out all her nits 3 times a week. I've cut her hair 4 times. I'm seriously going crazy. Please help...
Sorry I'm new to this, I post this in the wrong subject..oops
Lice can become resistant to lice treatments like nix. I don't think you can use them on such a young child though. My siblings and I once had a really bad case of them once and my mom got rid of them but putting mayo on our head for 24 hours. She put mayo on them, then a plastic bag around our hair (make sure it's tight so your daughter won't try to put it over her face), then she took a hair dryer to it for about an hour. It was a PAIN to get all the oils out of our hair but no lice.

Does she go to day care? friends houses? My siblings have a different father so every other weekend growing up they would sleep over there and I would go spend time with my cousin. We had to do all three houses at once to make sure we wouldn't recontaminate each other.

Are you drying your clothes? Make sure you're using high heat to kill any eggs in blankets and clothes and put any toys that can't be washed into plastic bags for 2 weeks, which will be long enough to kill the eggs. If you have animals you may want to give them a flea bath. Also make sure you vacuum all carpets, mattresses, couches, car seats, etc. There are actually sprays you can use on these things that will kill the eggs but will be relatively safe to use around your daughter.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? If lice infestation persists, it could be that there are some nits left behind. your child is still being exposed to someone with lice and the treatment you're using is not effective. Aside from prescription medications, to get rid of the lice and their eggs, and prevent  lice reinfestation, you can wash all bed linens and clothing in very hot water  and dry for at least 20 minutes; have bed linens, clothing, and stuffed animals and plush toys that can't be washed dry-cleaned; soak hair-care items like combs, barrettes, hair ties or bands, headbands, and brushes in rubbing alcohol or medicated shampoo or hot water for 1 hour; and treat other members of the family with the same infestation. Tell your daughter not to share combs, brushes, hats, scarves, ribbons, barrettes, hair ties or bands, or other personal care items with anyone else, whether they may have lice or not. Check with your doctor for proper management. Take care and do keep us posted.
  My daughter has thick, waist length hair.   Finding and ridding her hair of every nit was impossible.  Cutting her hair was not an option.   A mom whos daughter also has long hair told me to buy TEA TREE HAIR SHAMPOO AND A BOTTLE OF TEA TREE OIL.   I put a handful of shampoo in my hand and added lots of drops of the oil to it. then washed her hair, rinsing in the shower. I saw lots of lice on the bottom of the tub when i was rinsing her hair. Pain stakingly i used a nit comb in her hair, rinsing it each time in a bowl of hot water..... OMG I couldnt believe all the nits. Tea tree disolves the glue that they use to cling to the hair. I washed her hair 3 days later and was nit free.
Also lice will not "go after" dyed hair...ive heard during lice season, some kids get their hair dyed matching their color.    
p.s. the tea tree odor will go away in a couple of hours.  do not add conditioner or creme rinse after washing her hair.  to this day no more nits or lice
Hey,
Im 14 and recently noticed that i have lice. Im currently using lice killing shampoo but they dont go away! Im guessing that the lice eggs dont get killed from the shampoo, its been almost 2 weeks. I'm a boy with long hair and i really dont want to cut it off :(. I have even sat with my mom for atleast 5 hours as she picked out the hairs with little nits on it, i dont see how the combs would work on the eggs because they are pretty much glued on the hair! HELP!!!!!
I can help with lice best way to get rid of it is to first put Vaseline in your child's hair then you get a straightener and go over the eggs with it it kills them fast and easy next you put the alcohol in your child's hair and put a bag on there hair to kill any that are still alive.then you wash there hair with good shampoos like coconut shampoos then you will have live free hair and make sure to put vasoline in your child's hair when they go to school to keep it away.