Infectious Diseases Community
ongoing bad breath/congestion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

ongoing bad breath/congestion

hey im a gay 20 year old male. for the past 6+ months i have had oddly bad breath, throat congestion, nasal drip, slight dry cough and shortness of breath and lethargy, and zit like cold sores around the mouth. All of which seems alot worse in the morning and sometimes my neck seems to ache in the mornings too. Last time i was at he doctor he said there was fluid in my ears and post nasal drip. I had mono last Feb pretty bad too.. Also my boyfriend of 10 months seems to have it worse than me so i worry its some infection i may have caught from him that will not go away. We have been properly tested for all conventional stds (he also had a few small warts in his pubic region a couple months ago that have seemed to go away completely if maybe HPV of the throat or something but there are no warts so im guessing/hoping not)... Just wondering if anyone had any advice??? or if i need to have this checked out?? thanks
1. Please get an HIV test in a few months. Your blood will not test + at the date of infection, the body will try to fight as hard as it can to kill the virus, then MAY fall victim to the virus.

2. This COULD be initial infection of many viruses. I would also say sinusitis or allergies, but both you and your partner have the same symptoms.

3. I had the same symptoms you had and it lasted for a couple years, my face became so swollen and I was as sick as you are.  I was finally diagnosed by a Nurse Practioner (bless her soul) and she correctly tested for pharyngeal gonorrhea. Many swabs had been done in the past but nothing was found.  The problem was I do not have tonsils, which you would normally be able to swab for the infection. She did about ten swabs in multiple locations of my throat and nose. The gonorrhea was simply migrating and moving about through my oral and nasal cavities. I am sorry to report that I do not remember what she prescribed but it cleared up in about ten days and I was perfectly fine after that.

If this is the case, BOTH you and your partner should go the the doctors at the same time, the doctor has a responsibilty to dianose one of you but may write both of you a prescription. If you don't think s/he will not do this go to your local Health Department and both get tested. Or, he may be able to simply tell his doctor that you tested positive for something then they will give him a prescription.  Do not be shocked if they swab you then write a prescription at the same time before they get the results, they are required to jump on these types of infection ASAP. Most doctors will give their patients medication when a patient simply reports that they were exposed to an STD, they prefer not to wait.

Get Better;

Lane
thanks. we were both tested for HIV, syphilis, gonnorhea (Gonorrhea), chlamydia about 6 months after we had been together to wait for the appropriate window periods to clear up. and we use protection everytime. so i really dont think it is any of the above but i guess its possible