post cellulitis swelling, redness and warmth at night
HI, i was diagnosed with cellulitis almost three months ago. unfortunately, i was told that the infection was not clearing  and have taken five different antibiotics (all oral not iv) after the fifth dose, my foot started looking better, only upon elevation however.every night after 6pm, my foot feels warm. as soon as i stand on it to use the toilet etc, it swells up and goes dark red. when seeking the advice of my gp. i was told it may be lymphoedema. i was referred to a vascular surgeon who found no problems with my veins/artieries and i was told there is no lympodema. i also had an xray of my foot and found that to be fine too. my gp has clearly told me that he does not know what is causing the red, warm swelling of my foot. i would appreciate any replies to this post as i have been suffering with this for 3 months now and have been off work.
I am sorry to know about your health condition persisting since such a long time. There could possibly be several causes of redness, swelling of one foot. The common causes are cellulitis, sprain, gout, arthritis, blood clot or venous insufficiency. One other possibility which comes to my mind is Charcot’s arthropathy.It is a form of peripheral neuropathy usually seen in patients with diabetes mellitus. There is hot red swollen foot. It is often confused with acute infection or cellulitis. The initial radiographic findings may be normal in Charcot’s further making the diagnosis difficult but if a Charcot foot is strongly suspected from the clinical presentation, treatment should be initiated and follow-up X-rays may be taken. Do discuss this possibility with your doctor and keep me posted.
Best luck for your health and take care!