Infectious Diseases Community
swollen finger 1 week after puncture wound

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

I punctured my finger on one of the stiff thorns at the base of a palm frond. i was hacking away at the leaves and it puncured to the bone with consierable force. the frond was dead/dusty/moldy.... not clean. the puncture was tiny. I tried to clean it with peroxide but its really just a tiny spot, impossible to penetrate. it was immediately swollen. it hurt for a few days but the pain gradually went away. The swelling however remained. it is on the side of the middle knuckle, not centered around the pucture, but to the side. at the widest point my index finger is a good 1/4 inch wider than the other finger. Now there is a red tint to the swelling but no discharge at the punctures. Im getting worried as it seems like it must be getting infected, and its obviously far from the surface. What can a doctor do? oral antibiotics? amputate? or is it just residual swelling from deep bruising? my hand feels ok except now im noticing some faint pain in my thumb, although it could be unrelated. thanks!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.
I can confirm the exact cause and treatment of your condition only after a complete medical history, clinical examination. Puncture wounds cause pain and swelling at the puncture site. If there is any infection there will be redness, swelling, pus, or watery discharge from a puncture wound that is not treated properly. If the person is not sure when they had their last tetanus shot, check with the doctor's office. If the wound has been contaminated with dirt a tetanus shot may be needed if it has been more than 10 years since your last shot or if your last tetanus shot was more than 5 years ago. Tetanus shot should be given as soon as possible after the injury. There are chances that you have cellulitis.You may need anti-inflammatory drugs and antibiotics. Get it seen by a doctor. Do keep me posted.
Best luck and regards!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Do you still have the swelling in the area of the puncture wound? Infection usually presents with other symptoms also such as redness, pain, pus and even fever. Oral  or topical antibiotics may be indicated if this is the case depending on the initial evaluation. Anti-inflammatory medications may also help with the swelling. If it persists, it is best that you have this checked for proper evaluation. Take care and do keep us posted.