Infectious Diseases Community
testing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

testing

hi doctor,

in sept i had a high risk exposure.about 2weeks later i got sick(fever,sore throat) i got antibiodics from the doctor and they worked right away.then that was followed by 2 weeks of night sweats.so on feb 1 which would be somewhere between 4.5-5 months post exposure i got a hiv test done at my doctor.im not sure what test they used they took 2 tubes of blood and said they were sending it to the lab.in fact i got a full std panel done.everything came back negative.i thought i was in the clear but now im getting white spots on my tongue.so should i get retested or our my results conclusive?thank you!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Aside from the white tongue spots, are there other symptoms present?  It is good to know that the std panel tests and  hiv test were negative.  The ‘window period’ for HIV describe the period of time between HIV infection and the production of antibodies. You are right in taking the test after 5 months.  However,I suggest that you repeat the test after the sixth month to make sure that any chance of false negative result is ruled out. Discuss this with your doctor for proper evaluation. Additional tests may need to be done to determine the cause of your present symptoms. Take care and do keep us posted.