Infectious Diseases Community
very important

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

very important

my mother she's 54 years old ,, 2 days ago she got  a cold and flu then went badly ,, then we went to the hospital they discovered the she has pneumonia .. now this the second day of her been hospitalized . she have infection in both lungs and in the lower part and the heart function is normal she's on antibiotics now , but the level of oxygen in the blood goes from 80 tell reach 69% and they put for her inhaler ,,, what's is really scaring me there's no coughing and this pus and fluid i'm sure it'll cause pressure on the lung ,, so is it normal to have pneumonia with few coughs and if it's how's the lung will be cleared from the pus and other stuff ,, sorry for my English
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How is your mother? Atypical pneumonia refers to pneumonia caused by certain bacteria such as  Legionella which is seen more often in middle-aged and older adults, smokers, and those with chronic illnesses or a weak immune system. Symptoms  differ from those of pneumonia due to other common bacteria but can be more severe. Treatment is with antibiotics which will also help resolve the symptoms present. It is best that you talk to your doctor about the diagnosis and management plan to help ease anxiety also. Take care and do keep us posted.